Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but for all my searching the answer has eluded me. I have found several online places, like walton feed, but the shipping prices is shocking. I am mainly looking for bulk grains/legumes that I can buy in bulk and pack myself. Not looking for the already made year supply variety pack that cost 1-2 thousand. I'm on a short budget at the moment and want to get started stocking up on food NOW. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question get asked frequently.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
there is no place on line anymore, the shipping cost is about a 100. for every 150 pounds. some think Honeyville is cheap because they ship anywhere for 4.95 but their food in 15 bucks more that Bobs Red mill. for wheat and corn, i'd go to the local feed store, rice was 9 dollars for 25 lbs at costcos last week.
without getting shafted to bad, you'll have to just shop around local for bargins.

unless you're in a place that is close to Bobs or honeyville and can get four people to go in and drive there to buy a whole load.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
The question is asked all the time but I don't think anyone has a great answer. :)

I've never used this site but in my online browsing it appears to be cheaper than most.

http://www.aaoobfoods.com/bulkfoods.htm#top

I've found the site isn't very "user friendly": I can often find a page then spend a long time finding it again if I ever leave when I don't remember to use the site map.

Besides beans and grain, they sell bulk powdered dairy products, kosher TVP, honey, salt, pasta, bouillon, fructose, molasses, sugar, and dehydrated fruit/veggies. More variety than some sites.

Specifically shipping? Bulk is bulky and often heavy. I think most places price-gouge but it is going to cost a lot to ship even with no markup.

You might try figuring out what you want to buy and how the place would be shipping it. Then contact UPS, the post office, or whatever and see what the price to ship that amount from you to them. That'll give you an idea of a starting point. Add on a reasonable amount for whatever shipping supplies and effort they'd need to use to get your stuff to you securely.

Then call whichever company you decide on and try to negotiate the shipping rate down. You should have a general idea of how much the shipping will cost them. And if you tell them the high shipping cost is the deal-breaker, they might be willing to come down off of it in order to make the sale (especially considering the bad economy).

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you live in the West & Northwest I highly recommend azurestandard.com. They sell bulk almost everything and have free shipping to drop off points in 15 states along their truck route. I have used them in the past and will continue to order from them.
An added benefit besides free shipping is many of their products are organic and local. I'm not an enviro loon but I like the ideal of less pesticides the better.
I ordered organic hard wheat, honey, salt, corn, beans, oatmeal, and heirloom seeds. Sometimes things are out of stock and you have to wait till the next month and reorder. So far I have yet to find any website that can touch their prices once you factor in shipping cost.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow guys, thanks for all the quick replies. I will check into the sites mentioned. I am totally new at this so I didn't realize about a local feed store. So I just poped in a local one and noticed they had a ton of animal feed that I would of never thought they would carry, including several types of beans and corn. All of it looked very clean even though they look funny at me when I asked if it was safe to be consumed by humans. $9 for a 50lb bag of whole corn sounds too good to be true.

Sam's club had 50lb bag of rice for $23, so the $40 membership fee pays for itself once you factor in the difference of shipping.

I have seen the youtube video on food packing using feed wheat. Would It be safe to assume the same is true for most feed grains/beans? If so It would save us a ton of money.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow guys, thanks for all the quick replies. I will check into the sites mentioned. I am totally new at this so I didn't realize about a local feed store. So I just poped in a local one and noticed they had a ton of animal feed that I would of never thought they would carry, including several types of beans and corn. All of it looked very clean even though they look funny at me when I asked if it was safe to be consumed by humans. $9 for a 50lb bag of whole corn sounds too good to be true.

Sam's club had 50lb bag of rice for $23, so the $40 membership fee pays for itself once you factor in the difference of shipping.

I have seen the youtube video on food packing using feed wheat. Would It be safe to assume the same is true for most feed grains/beans? If so It would save us a ton of money.

Thanks again

yes, get the yellow dent corn,not deer corn. get the hard red or hard white wheat.. the hard white is better for bread.
there is no such thing as one field for humans and one for animals, if cows are eating it, you are going to eat it anyway, either in the meat or the milk.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Thanks again
I second Sam's Club.

There was a question posted on another forum about whether or not it was worth the membership fee to belong?
I would wholeheartedly say YES!

Here at our local Sam's, you can get 10 lb. bags of pinto beans for around $6.40 for 10 lbs.~.64 cents per lb.?
Um yeah, I'll buy 'em for that considering they are going for around $1.20 per lb. out in town.

We also recently bought a membership to Costco for their dog food & their dog beds. We can save $11.00 a bag for food for our pups, we go through about a 40 lb. bag every 3 weeks or so, that is a significant savings for us during the entire year.

As for your question about putting away your other food with the mylars & oxygen absorbers?
Yes~Grains, beans, rice, etc.
I've even seen people buy those huge 6 lb. bags of pasta at Sam's club and place them (inside their own bags) down inside a mylar bag, add oxygen absorbers & then seal them up.
So I would say just about anything could be stored away.

Just remember as a precautionary measure, make sure to freeze your rice, or grains (I even do my beans) *before* putting away for long-term storage.
That way if there's any little critters, it'll kill 'em and they won't hatch in your buckets.;)

Michelle in middle Tennessee

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but for all my searching the answer has eluded me. I have found several online places, like walton feed, but the shipping prices is shocking. I am mainly looking for bulk grains/legumes that I can buy in bulk and pack myself. Not looking for the already made year supply variety pack that cost 1-2 thousand. I'm on a short budget at the moment and want to get started stocking up on food NOW. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question get asked frequently.
I just saw this thread~
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=45344

It might be worth reading if you or anyone starts looking at buying 'field' corn.

Michelle in middle Tennessee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts