Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a one stop online shop where you can get just about everything you would need for camping and survival at reasonable prices?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
There is NO ONE BEST Source Period. Just as there is NO one perfect gun.

There are thousands of Online and Brick and Mortar retailers, how do we judge which would be the best?

Prices and inventory are constantly changing, so those measures are useless.

Now if you list specific items we can give you a list of sources which you can use to decide which is best for you using your standards.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is NO ONE BEST Source Period. Just as there is NO one perfect gun.

There are thousands of Online and Brick and Mortar retailers, how do we judge which would be the best?

Prices and inventory are constantly changing, so those measures are useless.

Now if you list specific items we can give you a list of sources which you can use to decide which is best for you using your standards.
You are right. I have been working on a list for about two weeks. I have several friends that have asked me to build them bug-out pack. I have started many threads looking for reviews and suggestions on many items. I am trying to keep the packs under $1000 each, but it's not easy when you are also trying to get good equipment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You are right. I have been working on a list for about two weeks. I have several friends that have asked me to build them bug-out pack. I have started many threads looking for reviews and suggestions on many items. I am trying to keep the packs under $1000 each, but it's not easy when you are also trying to get good equipment.
Packing a nuclear reactor in those BOBs?

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Packing a nuclear reactor in those BOBs?
That's funny! No I am not packing a nuclear reactor. Just think about what needs to go in to a BOB. A simple list would include 30 to 40 items. Just a good backpack and a good pocket water filter could set you back $250, and your a quarter of the way to $1000. Throw in a cheap 22 rifle and a brick of ammo and there goes another $200. Then you have good clothes, a tent, a sleeping bag, food, flashlight etc. If you bought the cheapest crap out there you would spend $500 just for a basic BOB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's funny! No I am not packing a nuclear reactor. Just think about what needs to go in to a BOB. A simple list would include 30 to 40 items. Just a good backpack and a good pocket water filter could set you back $250, and your a quarter of the way to $1000. Throw in a cheap 22 rifle and a brick of ammo and there goes another $200. Then you have good clothes, a tent, a sleeping bag, food, flashlight etc. If you bought the cheapest crap out there you would spend $500 just for a basic BOB.
I am a bargain hunter and I bet that you can stock your BOB they way you want without having to spend a $1K. List your 30 - 40 items and lets see if we can keep you under $1K okay?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated on how to keep costs down. I am trying to do BOB's for my family, but now that you are saying pocket water filter, guess I never thought that advanced. I guess I might be thinking more along the lines of s 72 hour kit since there are 3 of us, clothes, blankets, tent, sleeping bags, other camping equipment, I really would LOVE to know which first aid kit would be the best investment, the lists go on forerver, and if I did have everything I wanted for a BOB, well, I guess I'd need a semi to take it all with us. :) Problem for me is, where would I go, no clue about that. I live in PA just a spit's distance from TMI and although I've lived here 7 years, I really do want to get out. I know I should get Iodine tabs too, so much to think of, I can stay up nights just worrying about it. The good thing though is I do have somewhat of a plan, right now I am concentrating on Food Storage, and after the first of the year, my goal is BOB's for 3 of us, and maybe my mom in NJ, although I have no clue where she would go, and I'd probably need to get to her first.
ok, I'll stop rambling, thanks for any advice though.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated on how to keep costs down. I am trying to do BOB's for my family, but now that you are saying pocket water filter, guess I never thought that advanced. I guess I might be thinking more along the lines of s 72 hour kit since there are 3 of us, clothes, blankets, tent, sleeping bags, other camping equipment, I really would LOVE to know which first aid kit would be the best investment, the lists go on forerver, and if I did have everything I wanted for a BOB, well, I guess I'd need a semi to take it all with us. :) Problem for me is, where would I go, no clue about that. I live in PA just a spit's distance from TMI and although I've lived here 7 years, I really do want to get out. I know I should get Iodine tabs too, so much to think of, I can stay up nights just worrying about it. The good thing though is I do have somewhat of a plan, right now I am concentrating on Food Storage, and after the first of the year, my goal is BOB's for 3 of us, and maybe my mom in NJ, although I have no clue where she would go, and I'd probably need to get to her first.
ok, I'll stop rambling, thanks for any advice though.
Here is a thread that I started to answer these questions. http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=30458

There are a lot of opinions out there, and some think you need to take a truck load with you. If you can do that, that would be good also. But what I am trying to do is create a single carriable pack that contains all the essentials for survival for an indefinite amount of time, if necessary. Survival, by my definition is not necessarily a comfortable concept. It just means that you will not die. I could walk off into the woods with nothing but a machete and decent clothing and survive for three days easily. But taking care of a family requires much more then healthy man by himself. I will tell you this story though.

When I was only 6, my family and I were traveling around the country in a truck and trailer rig. It was all we had in the world, because my dad was a evangelist and we had no permanent home. One day the front tire blew out while we were going 65 mph and the truck flipped over. Our trailer flipped 13 times. We lost everything. My dad sold the engine out of the truck (the only thing that was not destroyed) and bought us all backpacks and camping supplies. We spent three months backpacking on the side of the road. We survived mostly off the land with our fishing poles and my dads 22 rifle. We walked all the way from Paris, TX to Gulf port, Mississippi (over 700 miles). Thinking back on that time, I cannot remember suffering, although I am sure my mom and dad remember. For me it was all one big adventure. Kids are resilient. Those kind events shape a kids character like nothing else.

Here is the only picture of those days. I am the little one.
http://s105847320.onlinehome.us/backpackers.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts