Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'd like to get away from the use of propane when camping if possible while still having sufficient light at dusk. Do LED battery powered lanterns even compare? I notice most of them are about 1/2 the candle power at best when compared to the propane powered counterparts.

Is there a solar powered(charges during the day obviously) version or crank style lantern thats worth a damn at all? As batteries eventually will need replaced and might not being better than a propane option in the end.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No, they don't have near the output of Propane Lanterns, but I'm a big fan of UCO Candle Lanterns and Candleliers. I prefer my eyes to adjust to less light when I'm backpacking and camping anyway.

I only use high powered headlamps when I'm hiking at dark and need to be careful so that I don't break a leg, sprain an ankle, or wander off a cliff or something. Or when I get in late and I'm setting up camp. Happens a lot to. I've hiked in many times after 10pm before.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,003 Posts
Good Ol' Coleman. Ya you gotta carry fuel but to me, it is worth the trouble. And now you can get the globes made from stainless steel so they dont break like glass. Not good in a very windy spot but a step up.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
Black Diamond makes some EXCELLENT, high light output lanterns with a dimmer. Steepandcheep often has them for less- that's where I got mine. It's VERY bright, and lightweight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
we use a coeman floresencent with 2 tubes, it can be recharged via your truck or on AC, had for 8years never replaced tubes and bought them for a 7 week crosscountry trip as well as camping every summer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EagleRiverDee- Do you know what model your black diamond lantren is? I was just looking at some on ebay and it seems most models have a brightness of less than 100 lumens. I can't imagine these are the same as yours, unless they really get the maximum potential out of there power somehow.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I guess it shows my age, but I grew up with and still have the Dietz lantern. It burns kerosene that will store for ages or any similar fuel. They are dependable and will last a generation or two. Yes, they do not throw out a lot of light (no million candlepower here) but will show plenty of light around a campsite.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My Coleman multi-fuel was made in 1961. It still works like a champ, and I usually burn unleaded gasoline in it since I'm too lazy/cheap to go and buy Coleman fuel.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
EagleRiverDee- Do you know what model your black diamond lantren is? I was just looking at some on ebay and it seems most models have a brightness of less than 100 lumens. I can't imagine these are the same as yours, unless they really get the maximum potential out of there power somehow.
It's the Apollo model. Not sure on lumens, but it's plenty bright. It uses reflectors top and bottom and then the "glass" (plastic, really) is slightly textured which helps diffuse the light. It's a great lantern. I wouldn't say it puts off the same light as a Coleman fuel lantern, but it's lighter, quieter and the batteries last a long time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a general question about propane. Originally, I had planned to add kerosene lamps to my preps but someone told me it would be better to go with propane because it cost less than kerosene. That's what I did and try to pick up a two-pack of propane cylinders every other time I go to the store. A two-pack at Walmart is $4.66 the last time I picked one up.

I'm wondering, though, how long a cylinder is good for. Of course, it won't be in use 24-hours, but does one cylinder last a long time if used sparingly?

I also have some battery operated lanterns so as not to put all my eggs in one basket.

Thanks very much.

... Robin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts