Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the top of the line bolt action with rust resistant finish and stock that resists long term field exposure? Is laminate or pollymer better? How does the 10/22 compare to a bolt action? I want something that will run after my OTIS runs out of CLP. I want it to be as accuret as possible while being self defensive able.

Whats the best .22 long rifle round. I want it to feed a variety of guns such as auto hand guns like Ruger .22, Henry Survival Rifle, .22 revovlers, .22 bolt actions, and .22 auto rifles. Whats the best most durble round in .22? Where is the best place to buy a large quantity? Are there any laws regulating the ammount of ammo that you can own?

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Lots of questions, most you can answer by many of the threads here.

1) Whats the top of the line bolt action with rust resistant finish and stock that resists long term field exposure? = opinions are going to vary on this one. What length are you looking for? Weight? Take down? You can go get a custom deal that may give you exactly what you want and you may be fine with a Cricket.

2) Is laminate or pollymer better? = Poly can't rot and is lighter. That is about the end of the comparison. Do you plan on ever doing a butt stock with your .22? Maybe you want a laminate for the strength. Both are going to be fine solutions however if your goal is being in the weather for long periods of time then poly will be the better choice.

3) How does the 10/22 compare to a bolt action? = if you are talking about off the shelf they don't in general. Ruger now has some 'target' models that have some of the custom things everyone does already done for you. Once you get into .75" MOA you are literally starting to cut hairs. If you always want to hit that gopher in the right eye then it might matter.

4) I want it to be as accuret as possible while being self defensive able = you are going down the wrong path with .22lr if you are planning for defensive needs. It is not that you can't shoot things, it is just that when it comes to defense it is a last ditch item, not a front line.

5) Whats the best .22 long rifle round? = no such thing. CCI makes really good stuff in general. You have a requirement for accuracy. Once you choose your gun you are going to have to test/group multiple brands to see what works in your gun. Once you find your top 3 rounds then you can start to go from there. A .22 relies upon being able to hit where you want to be effective. Inaccurate .22 rounds are IMO worthless.

6) Whats the best most durable round in .22? = they are all about the same onc eyou get into the better quality ammo. A lot of the bulk ammo has bad quality control. The bullets spin and can wabble in the case. Once you get into the better brands you will find that they all perform about the same.

7) Where is the best place to buy a large quantity? = this will vary. You need to find what works for you first then find 'who' has that in bulk.

8) Are there any laws regulating the ammount of ammo that you can own? = where do you live? This is a maybe/maybe not question. Check your local ordinance laws.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you seriously think that a stock Ruger 10/22 will come anywhere close to what a bolt action will do and a top of the line bolt action, at that, then you're in for a very rude awakening...

Are 10/22 fun guns yes, are they common as blue jeans, yes, are they accurate out of the box, not really! If they were accurate then why is there such a HUGE market in extras for the gun and I don't mean coloured barrels, 25 rd mags or MG42 or M1 Carbine stocks but serious accuracy items like air gauged barrels, stocks, triggers, bolt hold open etc...Ever see a stock 10/22 at a Chevy Team Challenge -- in the winner's circle?

Will they put 10 shots into the black from a benchrest at 50 yards, probably, will they put then all in the X ring--seriously doubtful but my Anschutz Sporter does day in and day out as does my Cooper and Kimber Super America and with a bit more work my Browning T-Bolt and CZ...Hell, my Ruger 77/22 will outshoot my stock 10/22s...Now my Volquartsen models will and my Kenny Jarrett 10/22 will but that's a fully done over by a top name smith gun and not in the same ball park...

How many 10/22 will you see shooting at the Olympics or World Championships? Now how many Anschutz? The barrelled action on that Olympic gun is the same that I have on my Sporter...If you're going to buy a Ruger 10/22 then the first thing is replace the trigger with something like the Kidd Trigger it will be the best thing you could possibly do (It's also almost the same cost as the gun)...

Each gun prefers its own brand of ammo and you should go through the selection process to determine what that is and then go and buy five bricks (5x500 rds) of it for just that rifle...Who has the best deals, check the Internet and local stores and there may not be an amount you can store by local ordinances but you'd better check with your insurance company as to what they allow...

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I think he was referring to a field gun more than hole in hole accuracy.

Once you can always hit the head of a squirrel at 25 yards chances are you are getting diminishing returns with more investment.

·
Premium Member
68,768 Posts
Whats the top of the line bolt action with rust resistant finish and stock that resists long term field exposure? Is laminate or pollymer better? How does the 10/22 compare to a bolt action? I want something that will run after my OTIS runs out of CLP. I want it to be as accuret as possible while being self defensive able.

Whats the best .22 long rifle round. I want it to feed a variety of guns such as auto hand guns like Ruger .22, Henry Survival Rifle, .22 revovlers, .22 bolt actions, and .22 auto rifles. Whats the best most durble round in .22? Where is the best place to buy a large quantity? Are there any laws regulating the ammount of ammo that you can own?
Bolt actions are generally more accurate and more reliable than semi autos. The world is full of things that make good lubes and solvents. You can clean with most any solvent, from kerosene, diesel and gas, to mineral spirits and paint thinner. Motor oil and transmission fluid make good gun oils. The world will be full of dead cars to get lube from.

As for the "best round", there isn't such a thing. .22s can be picky about ammo. What works great in one doesn't always work so great in another. Semi autos are especially picky. A particular load might function great, but have poor accuracy in one gun, while having good accuracy and poor function in another. You'll need to test as many different types as you can get, to see which will work best in your various guns.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Another suggestion, don't get hung up on a round then try to wedge it into a gun.

Stingers have a cult following but if they shoot like crap out of your gun then they are not something you should shoot.

If they do shoot well then you need to justify the louder noise and lighter bullet for what youa re trying to do.

Nothing is as sobering as shooting match sub sonic .22's and seeing that they kill that squirrel just as dead as anything else.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
all boils down to how much you wanna spend.

big diff between this

and this

but for all intents and purposes a ruger 10/22 is all you need plus it is good for quick ollowup shots if you need em

heres what mine looks like cept min e isnt a carbon barrel i used it for comp shooting in hs

Reactions: monet108 and XR750

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
The 10/22 is a good gun, but I have pistols that are just as accurate at 50 yards. There are several better guns.
Marlin and Savage make very nice bolt guns and also semi-autos that are more accurate than the 10/22. I have some of each, and greatly prefer the Marlin. Ruger and others make some fine bolt guns too, but they're pretty spendy.
An advantage of the bolt over the semi-auto, IMHO, is that they feed and shoot the Shorts and Longs as well as Long Rifles. I've taken many squirrels with Shorts without disturbing any other game in the area, that's a good thing.
For hunting accuracy you only need to be able to reliably hit the vital area of the game animal at the ranges likely to be encountered in your area. A squirrel or rabbit has a vital zone of about 1 1/2". Make some targets by scribing a 1 1/2" circle on a 3x5 card, then shoot at them from various field unsupported positions starting at say 15 yards, then moving out 5 yards at a time. When you start missing the target that's too far. Limit your shots to shorter ranges until you develop your skill and can extend the range.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
FarmerJohn -- Sorry, but I didn't state an ISSF/Olympic rifle but a Sporter like this one

Anschutz 1710 .22 LR
The 1710 uses the same Model 54 action, trigger that the Olympic rifle uses...

Weatherby Mark XXII
which is just an Anschutz with Weatherby name plate on it...

Unless you're going to spend the money on fixing up a 10/22 like you did with your last picture, new barrel, stock, trigger, bolt, extended safety and magazine release then it isn't going to shoot as good as a stock out of the box Anschutz sporter will and after all is said and done, my Sporter will be cheaper then your 10/22 by a few hundred dollars and the XXII MSRP is $999.00...

I have a Christensen's worked up 10/22 with their proprietary carbon wrap barrel that shoots lovely groups at 50 yards...Do you like the carbon wrap barrels? I certainly do as I went and had three more converted over to them...

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
FarmerJohn -- Sorry, but I didn't state an I
Unless you're going to spend the money on fixing up a 10/22 like you did with your last picture, new barrel, stock, trigger, bolt, extended safety and magazine release then it isn't going to shoot as good as a stock out of the box Anschutz sporter will and after all is said and done, my Sporter will be cheaper then your 10/22 by a few hundred dollars and the XXII MSRP is $999.00...

I have a Christensen's worked up 10/22 with their proprietary carbon wrap barrel that shoots lovely groups at 50 yards...Do you like the carbon wrap barrels? I certainly do as I went and had three more converted over to them...
I dont have a carbon barrel I managed to get a green mountian match grade barrel for $50 from my friend who is a gunsmith but at 50m its deadly even out to 100m it still holds a good group just have to adjust 24 clicks down on my scope

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
The Marlin 60 is pretty widely acknowledged as being more accurate than the 10/22, out of the box. My stainless Marlin is a better shooter than BOTH of my buddy's customized 10/22's. ( Hogue stock, heavy barrel,etc.)
But if you want to step it up a little, the CZ 452 American bolt action is hugely popular. I got one a couple years ago, and they live up to the hype. With a Weaver V16 and Harris bi-pod, it's quite the cool toy !!
Lots of useful info over on the .22rimfire forum. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts

Once you can always hit the head of a squirrel at 25 yards chances are you are getting diminishing returns with more investment.
When he says top of the line I don't think for a minute he's referring to a Cricket...Now if he had said comparable to a 10/22 then I'd have taken a different tack...

If you want one hole accuracy then I'm going to be shooting one of these (in another couple of months):

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Once you get to that point it ain't shootin no more. More like the gun shoots itself and you just happen to be there.

Reading through his post again, it looks like he wants to get 'the .22' that we would all use for BO and long term survival.

More like the cliff notes versions of research.

Not necessarily a competition gun.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
if you want a bolt gun get the cz ultra lux with 28 in barrel very accurate and rugers are great semis lots of parts and things you can do to personalize

Reactions: jungatheart

·
Registered
450 Posts
Florida State:
The posts above mine contain some of the finest guidance that you could ask for. I wouldn't argue that any of the information was incorrect. What I would like to do is to insert some alternative thinking into this discussion, even at the risk of receiving some tomatoes thrown my way.
1) Whats the top of the line bolt action with rust resistant finish and stock that resists long term field exposure?
In my opinion, for survival purposes the firearm needed to meet the apparent needs must have a stainless steel barrel and a synthetic stock. For me that means one of the Ruger 77/22 models (they have an on-line catalogue) or a CZ model (again you can look them up on-line).
2) Is laminate or pollymer better? My stocks for thius application would in order of preference be synthetic, laminate, walnut. Others woods I wouldn't use for this application.
3) How does the 10/22 compare to a bolt action?
It doesn't. Let me bring up something that is usually overlooked in these discussions.
The Ruger 10/22 has an aluminum allow receiver. The two rifles I have recommended both have ordance quality steel receivers. Ever wonder why there are telescopic sight grooves or mounting postions on the 77/22 and the CZ 452, 453 and 455? Youy can tighten down a mount firmly on a streel receiver. You can't so that on an aluminum receiver. Ever heard of a CZ or 77/22 needing a recoil buffer? No. Two reasons, steel receivers and the action is designed to take whatever reasonable forces you use to operate the action. If you want a firearm to last for an extended period under tough use would you rather bet on a steel receiver or an aluminum receiver? I go with steel.
4) I want it to be as accurate as possible while being self defensive able.
As accurate as possible will probably require you to get one of the really high end near competition grade bolt action such as the Anschutz, CZ or 77/22 target. The problem is those rifles have either long or heavy barrels or both. I assume you want some reasonable close range maneuverability so you need to stick with the sporter grade versions of the top quality rifles.
For self defense, my view is hit'em with a lot of .22 LR or a couple of .22 Magnum. The magnum can be had up to 50 grains in weight and srikes with the same energy at 100 meters that the best .22 LR does ten feet in front of the barrel. Double the striking energy and a heavier bullet. I would prefer to defend myself with a magnum.
5) Whats the best .22 long rifle round? I want it to feed a variety of guns such as auto hand guns like Ruger .22, Henry Survival Rifle, .22 revovlers, .22 bolt actions, and .22 auto rifles.
What is best is what works best in your rifle, in the main. There are some exceptions. Lapua Biathlon ammunition or other Biathlon ammunition is designed to work even if the temperature is very cold. I and most others who do a lot of winter shooting have a quanity of that stuff around for when things get really bitter. (Mild cold usually isn't a problem with quality ammo.). Here I risk drawing tomatoes. Never use Stingers in a top quality .22 LR rimfire that is of competition grade or even near target grade. The better bolt actions have chambers that spec out to the small end of the SAAMI specs and the Stinger (which has a longer than normal casing) can damage the chamber and can fail to extract some times in some firearms. The Velocitor is the fastest most powerful round easily available. I have found it to be very good in every .22LR I have shot it in (about 6 different rifles). I have never had a fail to fire or a fail to extract.
6) Whats the best most durable round in .22?
I have no idea because .22LR ammo is said to be more suseptable to dampness and cold than most other chamberings. I don't know of one type that is more prone to this than others. If you can keep your ammo in somethinbg like MTM Ammo Boxes in a cool dry place it should be fine, but survival situations may have you out for extended periods and even wading through rivers or being dumped on in rainstorms. The .22 Magnum cartridge is designed differently from the .22 LR and is said to be more resistant to problems like moisture or unintended dunkings. I can only say I have been afield with a lot of .22 magnum rifles ( I love them) and no matter how wet we had got the rounds always fired, always hit to the sighted point of aim ( if I did my job right) and exdtractede smoothly. I would not be without a quality bolt action .22 magnum rifle with iron and telescopic sights in my survival battery. I also have equivalent .22 LR rifles as the ammo is more common.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts

Please indicate where I wasn't referring to the same thing?
To quote Col. Townsend Whelen, "Only accurate rifles are interesting!"
If you're not striving for one hole accuracy then why trick out the 10/22?

Problem with .22 shooters is that they will always feel inferior to air rifles and their awesome accuracy :)
Only at 10M :upsidedown: :D:

Once you get to that point it ain't shootin no more. More like the gun shoots itself and you just happen to be there.
Ever shoot BR competition? Obviously not if you can make that statement!

Wind drift, mirage, heat shimmer, temp, humidity, velocity/bullet drop, trigger pressure, breathing, lighting, glare, etc. all play a significant role in BR as well as prone or standing competition...although muscle fatigue is only but slightly reduced--now you're moving around a 40# RTB rest and an <18# rifle/scope...

Also, for the uninformed, say thank you to all the BR shooters for the last 180 years or so who brought you such things as better powders, better primers, better bullets, better case design, better cartridges, better barrels, better triggers, better stocks and then synthetic stocks, better optics, better rings and mounts...Were it not for the BR shooters none of those would have been so readily available to the shooting/hunting marketplace...

Also, both smallbore (rimfire) and air rifle benchrest are gaining in popularity at amazing rates...Most of the major ISSF competition makers, Feinwerkbau, Anschutz, Steyr, Walther etc. are making both versions of BR rifles, geared primarily to the aperture sights and not scopes but the discipline is still there...Cooper Arms of Montana, Savage and Dakota both have rimfire entry level BR rifles in their lineup...

Super cheap to compete and practice, sort of why a Ciener kit is popular with 1911 shooters and these rimfire AR replicas have been coming out by SIG and Colt and...

What's so nice about airguns is that we had a full 10 station Field Target range set up with the neighbours on either side of us in our backyards, now my yard is bigger in the new house so any of us can have it on their own property and we also have a full 10M range in the basement, with five shooting stations that my daughters and their shooting club friends practice at nightly...Conducted under a range master's supervision, hearing and eye protection must be worn...

One bolt action that I forgot to mention is the Savage with Accu-bedding and trigger which I have read and like Alberta Mike stated doesn't like the Hyper-velocity lines of ammo...Not for potential damage to the action, just abysml accuracy due to the barrel twist...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.