Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
If you dont reload your own, I would suggest picking up a few boxes each time you go to the store.
I have heard some people say on the forum that local Wal-Marts were keeping lists of ammo purchases and/or limiting the amount of ammo you could purchase.
As far as sending up red flags to the ATF or any other authorities....I'm not sure what the 'number' is that would cause you to pop-up on the radar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is are the limits as far as buying ammo (12ga., 9mm, 357) for stockpiling in the event of SHTF without sending up any red flags?
I bought 2000 rounds of 7.62, and no questions asked. I think a lot of people overestimate how much they'll need. If I have 500 or more rounds on hand at a given time I'm happy. Good grief, if I need more than 500 rounds i'd say I'm outgunned.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I bought 2000 rounds of 7.62, and no questions asked. I think a lot of people overestimate how much they'll need. If I have 500 or more rounds on hand at a given time I'm happy. Good grief, if I need more than 500 rounds i'd say I'm outgunned.
I agree that sometimes people over estimate. But don't forget ammo for hunting and for signaling others in your party. My estimate is 10 rounds, per person, per weapon, per day. That is an overestimated usage for say, .357. But it wouldn't be for .22 if you were hunting small game and trying to keep varmints out of your gardens.

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
When I order 250 rounds at a time the UPS guy starts making jokes like:
"I hope you don't work for the post office"
At 500 rounds, it's quite heavy and the joking turns to "that look".
Keep it light and all is well.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Gun shows or your local buy and sell Trader paper/magazine are where I buy most of mine, always pay in cash. Stay away from multiple large orders on the internet and or using a credit card for those orders, they do keep records.

If I have 500 or more rounds on hand at a given time I'm happy. Good grief, if I need more than 500 rounds i'd say I'm outgunned.
And out gunned you will be, because soon after an all out SHTF you will be out of ammo.........

As a survivalist I think the minimum total rounds for each primary long arm should be 10,000 rounds, shotgun should be about 2,000 rounds in a 60/40 split buckshot/birdshot, sidearm 1,500 rounds of ball, .22lr HP as much as you can get but try for 100,000 rounds.

That seems like a lot to stockpile and it is, but what price do you put on the lives of those you care about? DO NOT keep everything in one place but have several cache's with your stockpiles distributed amongst them. You also don't have to buy large quantities all at once, buy what you can afford each pay period. There have been times I could only afford to buy one box at a time, and other times I was buying case lots. You can build up a large supply in a surprisingly fast time doing it this way.

DO NOT trap yourself with the mindset that you'll only need what you can carry............This applies to those of us who have a BOL as well as those who plan to bug in. I'll repeat what I said earlier, stockpile cache's in several locations you never know when you'll need it!

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
As a side note, I too doubt that many will have too many rounds. You need to shoot to stay sharp. Practice takes ammo. If nothing else, you can always sell it down the road. I doubt if prices will drop. :)

·
I have control issues
7,112 Posts
Either:

A few boxes at a time each time you go to the store (Our local Wally-he!! limits you to 6 boxes combined of ANYTHING) and pay cash;

OR, I go to my "enabler of choice" who doesn't keep records of ammo purchases. Plus, I know the guys there are "stocking up", too! And, since their sales slips are hand written, NOT computerized, if you DO use a CC or Debit card, all the company gets is the amount of purchase, not what it's for. It could be running shoes and softball equipment for all they know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
10000 rounds per gun!!? Yowza! It's just me, myself, and I. I have three long guns and two pistols, if 2500 rounds isn't enough I don't know what to say. I plan on going to BOL and laying low, I can't imagine using more than 5 rounds a day for small game hunting. To each their own :) , everyone has a different comfort level.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
10000 rounds per gun!!? Yowza! It's just me, myself, and I. I have three long guns and two pistols, if 2500 rounds isn't enough I don't know what to say. I plan on going to BOL and laying low, I can't imagine using more than 5 rounds a day for small game hunting. To each their own :) , everyone has a different comfort level.
I believe that if every aspect of your preparations are for a total collapse, then every other scenario will be a piece of cake.

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know what my upper limit is, because I don't know how many people I'll have to arm. But you need ammo for practice, hunting and training. I also have a reloader, so that helps. I also try to keep in mind, that I can't have too much, as I may need to barter with some of it. That will be the currency of choice I think. And you may need different types of ammo. Buckshot, bird shot, slugs. Different weighted rifle loads, etc.. I just keep filling up ammo cans as I can afford it. It won't go bad, so you can always go to the range and have a blast if you ever think you have too much.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.