Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, wondering what would be the best thing to use on an old knife that has a bit if rust?, and is a little squeaky when opening. The knife is really nice, just want to get it in better shape than it is now, any suggestions??

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
send it to me lol.realy it just needs tlc and oil.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
There is a product called Flitz* metal polish that will remove light rust and bring a lusterous shine to any metal,rub flitz paste onto blade let set for a few minutes then polish off with soft cloth. WD 40 is probably your best option in those hard to reach areas like hinges for loosening rust.Spray wd 40 into hinge area and let it set over night ,next morning spray again with wd to flush out the loosened rust. Flitz metal polish can usually be found in the gun care section or possibly at a hardware store.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
WD 40 to loosen all the joints, perhaps some fine wet and dry to get any rust off the blade then a quick polish and a wipe with some gun oil.
That should solve all the problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After I get a knife cleaned up I use Breakfree CLP on them to keep them looking good. You can get it in the sporting goods section at wally world.

Jesster1

·
Registered
630 Posts
if the rust is bad enuf, navel jelly then lube it

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Ha Ha, funny stuff there. Seriously this is a folder, right? spray the hinge area with Kroil, WD-40, or other PENETRATING oil. Scrub the hinge area with a toothbrush and spray until the oil looks clean, work the hinge back and forth many times and the oil will turn gray or red depending on the metals involved. Spray again, work hinge, spray, etc. Eventually the oil will be less gray or red, when it stays clear the hinge is good. As far as the blade goes, Most any good oil, 0000 steel wool and elbow grease will take care of that. If you want to Polish the steel use flitz, brasso, etc. The oils/polishes really dont matter that much unless you got some exotic steel, the important thing is elbow grease. Do not use sandpaper! lol, I've seen it tried.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
best thing to use to start off is a bit of elbow grease and sand paper like 350grain then go to 600 grain to polish it back to shine in order to get rid of all that rust. then oil it well most any oil will do 3 in 1,any gun oil,G69

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would use a combination of WD40, 3-in-1 oil, an old toothbrush, and some pipe cleaners (preferably white, so you'll know how much crud you're getting off of the inside). After it's been properly lubricated and it's properly functioning, then you should get an old rag, and some brasso, and try to get as much rust and tarnish off as you can. Then sharpen the knife, and you should be good to go. These are the measures I take to doctor a knife up. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Once you get it cleaned up, if you are going to use it to cut any food, I'd use mineral oil from the pharmacy. Works great and is food safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts