Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What in your opinion is the most beautiful gun. Mine is my Luger P08. It just "looks right":D: The most ugly? the Japanese, I think it is the type 98 I am going off memory:confused: It is known as being one of the worst guns ever made, that is it's real claim to fame. I am sure a member hear can clarify.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
I've always been very attracted to a good looking mannlicher stock on a fine rifle ... in this case a Remmey 700, (but I like them on CZs, Rugers, etc.).

I'd be remise not to include a picture of an original 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer ... beautiful sticks:

I've also always thought that the Walther PPK design is one of the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye of a shooter as well, and I think this is proven out to be true by the number of knock-off designs that have followed it over the years. It started with the PPK but shortly afterwards SIG came out with the P230 and not long afterwards the FEG SMC, then the Bersa Thunder, the Erma Excam, etc., ... proving once again that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Walther PPK

The SIG P230

Then, and I mention this solely as a similar observation to the above, there is the Luger. I just find them to be extremely attractive in their design and they too have had their share of knock offs over the years, especially by Ruger and their Mark I, II, III line of 22 semi auto pistols. It was probably Bill Ruger's greatest marketing achievement and one he took full advantage of ... although I despise what the man stood for after the Ruger Letter where he made his infamous "no honest man" statement.

As far as ugliest? Hmmmm, well, off the top of my head I've always though that the Browning Auto 5 was ugly as heck. But that's just me. Never could get over that hump, pardon the pun.

Also, the Liberator, while functional and heroic in WWII was, without a doubt, one butt ugly gun imho, followed closely by the Dar****, which I had the displeasure of actually holding one time ... left a weird feeling in my hand:

http://blogonomicon.eponym.com/guns/dar****pistol.jpg (link disabled because of auto editing feature built into the board but substitute the four asterisks with a common four letter word for penis, begins with a d ends in a k, and you'll be able to see the picture.)

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
To me the most beautiful are the ones hand fitted, finely finished and tastefully adorned. Fine woods, polished bluing, and especially artful engraving.

Ugliest are generally any modern military rifle, especially the ones with crap hanging off every square inch, Glocks, and a few that especially stand out like the Sten or the Liberator pistol.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the type 94 Japanese pistol. Nice guns. I really like the ugly picks. I just picked up a Colt Python mint/nickled for $500 from one of my pt's. It is a pretty gun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know I'm going against the flow here; But I think Glock has one of the best looking designs for a handgun out there. I know I'm not totally alone out there, just not many will admit they like the looks of the Glock.

I like the sheer simplicity of the design. Form following function has always been a major goal of every successful designer of anything, including guns. I believe simplicity is something that Glock thinks they have achieved, and one of the reasons that they use the word "perfection" to describe their weapons. Even though, there are no perfect guns or anything for that matter.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know I'm going against the flow here; But I think Glock has one of the best looking designs for a handgun out there. I know I'm not totally alone out there, just not many will admit they like the looks of the Glock.

I like the sheer simplicity of the design. Form following function has always been a major goal of every successful designer of anything, including guns. I believe simplicity is something that Glock thinks they have achieved, and one of the reasons that they use the word "perfection" to describe their weapons. Even though, there are no perfect guns or anything for that matter.
Like Lenin said "quantity has a quality in itself" I do have to admit I am surprised any body went out on a limb and called a Glock pretty.:eek:Yes. I am sure you will hear about that post:D: Forgive the quote I may not have gotten it exact. Somebody will correct it if it is wrong.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It's hard to think of any ugly guns but for the "prettiest"; My M4 I think looks even better than my other ARs.

My G21 with the 6" SS ported bbl sticking out.

I'm a bit partial to black as you can see.

Then I'd have to say those old long bbled single shots like the Creedmores with the tank peep on them. Think of Quiggly Down Under.

The ugly guns; all I can think of is a couple the French made. One was nicknamed the potato digger and the Lebel.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's hard to think of any ugly guns but for the "prettiest"; My M4 I think looks even better than my other ARs.

My G21 with the 6" SS ported bbl sticking out.

I'm a bit partial to black as you can see.

Then I'd have to say those old long bbled single shots like the Creedmores with the tank peep on them. Think of Quiggly Down Under.

The ugly guns; all I can think of is a couple the French made. One was nicknamed the potato digger and the Lebel.
Sorry, the potato digger was ours, it is a Browning design:( They did make the CSRG (Chauchat) M1915 it was ugly, however it is famous for being the worst gun ever made. The Lebel while not pretty does have the claim of being the first smokeless powder rifle with a true high power cartridge.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
and for my handgun a German Korth
I agree on the Korth. I bought one used a few years back simply because it was way undervalue. Sold it a bit later for twice what I had in it. Gorgeous gun all around, with a level of fit and finish that no factory gun can compare with. I wish I had kept it. I love handmade things.

I'm the same guy that has an Egli motorcycle with a "p*ss on production bikes" sticker on it. :D:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.