Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you think the best location for a retreat would be that has relatively cheap land? Ive been looking online and everything i see is either too expensive or too good to be true. So if anyone has any suggestions to help me narrow down my search or any good websites to check out it would be greatly appericated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bordering national forest, arable land, water on site in the form of a stream or spring. Decent length growing season. Within 2 or 3 days hike to a modest population center.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bordering national forest, arable land, water on site in the form of a stream or spring. Decent length growing season. Within 2 or 3 days hike to a modest population center.

thanks for replying, any states you would suggest i take a look at?

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Lots of cheap land with springs/creeks, semi secluded or on the edge of small towns in most southern states. Check Tenn, Ky, Ark. and others. Humid there but mild winters.
Colder and more intense winters, but low humidity in Colorado, with beautiful country and like minded people.

·
Registered
32 Posts
minnesota

Northen Minnesota is also worth checking out. Tons of roadless public land to hunt and fish on. Summers are great but winters can be brutal. Always nice to hear the wolves howl at night.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i prefer the southeast and id say just find you some good farmland with its own water supply

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,658 Posts
Where do you think the best location for a retreat would be that has relatively cheap land?
What most have said in this thread. And I have heard there is still some relatively "cheap" land available in southern Colorado, maybe check the San Luis valley. Not too cold usually, fairly good farming area and not nearly as overpopulated as most of the USA.

I don't know the eastern USA too well although I did drive around it in 1980 for a month even all the way to Wash. D.C. and was green but way too crowded. Looking on maps it looks ridiculously crowded, with an awful lot of towns and cities, especially compared to most Western states.

Lots of luck finding some "cheap" land. Most land that I have seen is cheap for a reason, such as no water, desolate and even most wildlife would not live on it.

People have their own ideas which mostly are good. Farms are good and hope people will be able to keep those farms, homesteads etc. no matter what happens in the future.

I prefer remoteness without being in Alaska or Canada. And prefer wood, water and wildlife as what makes an excellent survival retreat. And for any who have possibly not seen the latest 60 pics of how I tell and show how I "survive" and Live on my well located Survival retreat >
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

Again, I would share this mtn place with a Few good survivalists who are able to hack it as long as they are able to live in a primitive wilderness like area.
AND I hope that everyone will be able to find, buy and build their own survival retreat - BOL - homestead before it is too Late! I also am talking about getting too old to do it, besides other reasons.

·
Registered
201 Posts
make sure its far enough away from nuclear power sites, military bases, any large cities with population, any targets basically. Also make sure you arent next to dumps that could taint the water system, check your neighbors and see what they are like, etcetc.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,081 Posts
I am strongly attracted to the lower midwest, particularly the western part of the Ozark mtns.

I started by looking at areas with the rainfall, climate zone, and helpfull state governments.

Look at the areas that have the water and the growing season to grow the garden crops, small grains, row crops, and orchard trees you want.

Then look at areas away from large cities, military bases, and transportation corridors such as interstate highways.

I can recommend city-data.com, retirementliving.com, and united country real estate as web references.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
take into consideration the prevailing winds , ky great but for all out nuclear war, theres nothing here much worth shooting at but there is to our west.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have started looking in the South West portion of Oregon.
Lots of land available and compared to what land costs in Taxifornia it is a steal.
Anybody familiar with the locale got any suggestions?

-deyv

·
The rock and roll clown
566 Posts
I have started looking in the South West portion of Oregon.
Lots of land available and compared to what land costs in Taxifornia it is a steal.
Anybody familiar with the locale got any suggestions?

-deyv
Yes, land in SW Oregon is dirt cheap! But thats about all it has going for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, land in SW Oregon is dirt cheap! But thats about all it has going for it.
@ X13X
I have lived in the area in the past and I did not see any real negatives. Good rainfall, temperate climate, and good soil. Also lots of land available that borders huge tracts of national forest land.

If you don't mind me asking what is wrong with the bottom left corner?

-deyv

1 - 20 of 36 Posts