Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
reluctant sinner
17,450 Posts
It starts with a section of truck leaf spring and a die grinder with a pack or 2 of disks. Work slow, keep the metal cool so you don't draw the temper. Lots of vid's on youtube.

Wayne's, The $50 Knife Shop is good book if you want to work softer steels then heat treat it back to the hardness you require.

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It starts with a section of truck leaf spring and a die grinder with a pack or 2 of disks. Work slow, keep the metal cool so you don't draw the temper. Lots of vid's on youtube.

Wayne's, The $50 Knife Shop is good book if you want to work softer steels then heat treat it back to the hardness you require.
I did a fair amount of blacksmithing for about 7 years when I was a younger man, even worked on a movie and did a few shows. I was never interested in bladesmithing myself even though I appreciate the craft.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
My dad was issued a Woodsman's Pal during WWII. Exactly like todays, but, it had a full guard around the entire handle. Included in the sheath was a round sharpening stone, and a manual that included text with pictures on fighting a Jap with a sword.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,599 Posts
The Schrade Leroy bowie knife on Amazon for $33 shipped is about the best deal going. I bought FOUR I was so impressed. It feels fantastic, weighted great, and online reviews are largely extremely good.

Blade is made of reliable 8Cr13MoV Titanium Coated High Carbon Stainless Steel with black thermoplastic elastomer handle slabs.

The steel is adequate, the design is fantastic. Don't abuse the heck out of it and it will probably last a lifetime. So affordable, you can get two so you have a backup if damaged or lost.

Lowest price in 4 years on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128NHHY8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I have collected bowies over the years and the 1 I like best was carried by jeremiah johnson in the 1972 movie, it was a w49 western bowie you can still find them on e-bay any where from $50.00 to $150.00 depending on condition, jmo

·
Goat Roper
1,256 Posts
The Schrade Leroy bowie knife on Amazon for $33 shipped is about the best deal going. I bought FOUR I was so impressed. It feels fantastic, weighted great, and online reviews are largely extremely good.

Blade is made of reliable 8Cr13MoV Titanium Coated High Carbon Stainless Steel with black thermoplastic elastomer handle slabs.

The steel is adequate, the design is fantastic. Don't abuse the heck out of it and it will probably last a lifetime. So affordable, you can get two so you have a backup if damaged or lost.

Lowest price in 4 years on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128NHHY8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I just bought one, but it is a nice knife, and the price is incredible. :upsidedown:

·
Banned
30 Posts
Looking for any and all suggestions. Would prefer something affordable but I'm sure anything less than $75 is probably junk.
Have you heard of someone who goes by "Brownie" on the sister site Defensive Carry? He has a wealth of info on this that you might enjoy.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

From the image it appears that the handle could be removed for replacement. If so one could create a nice custom wood handle.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts