Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a Gamin 62s that I've tried to like but it's so counter intuitive that everytime I want to use it I have to watch a video, I like Garmin and I really like their automotive line but this one is getting the best of me after a number of years. Any recommendations?

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
BEST handheld GPS in the bush...
GREAT topo maps and a good compass.

Sorry but while they work correctly I understand they can be great... I would NEVER take on as my ONLY guide to get from A - Z

I understand for getting around driving in new areas they might work, but in the bush it is still paper not plastic..and boards and wires and batteries.

I do have one and it does take you from point to point but to me it is a toy, not for serious land navigation.

here it is...I understand they have progressed a little from this one.😁

Fluid Liquid Measuring instrument Sports equipment Rectangle

·
Registered
350 Posts

Sorry but while they work correctly I understand they can be great... I would NEVER take on as my ONLY guide to get from A - Z

I understand for getting around driving in new areas they might work, but in the bush it is still paper not plastic..and boards and wires and batteries.

I do have one and it does take you from point to point but to me it is a toy, not for serious land navigation.

View attachment 374090
I finally bought a Garmin Inreach explorer. Bought it for it's satellite text capable feature. First year I had daughter and I were about a mile in Looked at her and said we're on xyz trail. This is the long way to get where we are going. Got out the gps and, yup, I was correct. She was amazed that I could tell by the terrain (she's in I.T. and won't cross the street without a gps).
Next year, one of our party did not prep for a 22 mile trip. Used the text service to contact home and arrange for the person to be picked by a horse outfit (she could barely walk).
Never go anywhere without it now. Not to keep from getting lost, but to contact emergency services.

·
Just trying to learn
218 Posts
I've been looking to upgrade my Magellan Explorist. It seems that either the units are super expensive or less expensive with no (or crappy) topo maps.

At least with my Explorist I could download Nat Geo maps for a $25 yearly subscription.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Garmin units either. Even their vehicle navigators suck. I bought one to replace a nearly 10 year old Tomtom. The Garmin absolutely sucks in comparison. I didn't care for their GPS line either. I have a few years old Magellan that I like better. I replaced the Garmin after one use.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts

View attachment 374090
That's something I've mentioned on this site several times. The dependence on technology. Nearly every year they rescue someone who's lost. Often only a mile or two from their vehicle. Because they had depended on their GPS and it failed, as tech loves to do when you need it the most. Either they dropped it, lost the batteries, or it just decided to die. They had no orienteering skills, no compass, no maps, not even an awareness of where they had been. Since the GPS did it for them, they simply didn't pay attention.

Which is something I totally get. As much as I despise gadgetry, I use a navigator in my vehicle because I often do gun shows in cities where I don't know my way around and it makes driving a van in heavy traffic a lot safer. I discovered that when using the navigator, it took me many times before I learned the route between my hotel and the gun show. When I used maps, I learned it quick because I had to. I couldn't just stop constantly to check the map.

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
That's something I've mentioned on this site several times. The dependence on technology. Nearly every year they rescue someone who's lost. Often only a mile or two from their vehicle. Because they had depended on their GPS and it failed, as tech loves to do when you need it the most. Either they dropped it, lost the batteries, or it just decided to die. They had no orienteering skills, no compass, no maps, not even an awareness of where they had been. Since the GPS did it for them, they simply didn't pay attention.

Which is something I totally get. As much as I despise gadgetry, I use a navigator in my vehicle because I often do gun shows in cities where I don't know my way around and it makes driving a van in heavy traffic a lot safer. I discovered that when using the navigator, it took me many times before I learned the route between my hotel and the gun show. When I used maps, I learned it quick because I had to. I couldn't just stop constantly to check the map.

WHEN I have to drive to a strange place, I do it just like I plan a land maneuver.
I sit there at the computer and bring up a map program and look at my proposed route of travel long before I get there. I find the best way to get there and then I check my paper maps to confirm it since those map programs aren't always right.
then
On the computer in my Word program I write out the drive in LARGE BOLD TYPE so it is clear at a glance where I am going and I don't have to look anywhere but on the road. It is broken down in legs such as TAKE WEST ST 2 MILES TO BROWN ROAD, NORTH/LEFT ON BROWN

then the next line would be BROWN 4 BLOCKS TO KELLY, EAST/RIGHT ON KELLY

By the time I actually get to the area I have read the instructions several times and I usually don't even need to refer to them. But if I do, it is clear and simple and really takes the stress out of navigating a new place.

In the bush it is a little more complicated since there aren't many street signs or route numbers.😁

·
Super Moderator
15,223 Posts
WHEN I have to drive to a strange place, I do it just like I plan a land maneuver.
I sit there at the computer and bring up a map program and look at my proposed route of travel long before I get there. I find the best way to get there and then I check my paper maps to confirm it since those map programs aren't always right.
then
On the computer in my Word program I write out the drive in LARGE BOLD TYPE so it is clear at a glance where I am going and I don't have to look anywhere but on the road. It is broken down in legs such as TAKE WEST ST 2 MILES TO BROWN ROAD, NORTH/LEFT ON BROWN

By the time I actually get to the area I have read the instructions several times and I usually don't even need to refer to them. But if I do, it is clear and simple and really takes the stress out of navigating a new place.

In the bush it is a little more complicated since there aren't many street signs or route numbers.😁
In my experience its the other way around. Unless the paper map is brand new has just been published with the latest road updates the online maps are usually more updated as the online maps can easily be changed.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have found the best GPS to be my phone with saved offline maps. But I'm comparing it to a Garmin's Etrex 30. The Etrex kind of suck. It's like 1990s technology. The software of clunky and non touch screen sucks. It will get you back to your vehicle, has a decent trip meter and speed readout. I wont be buying another stand alone GPS if this etrex 30 ever fails. Loading maps is also difficult and dosnt really have a good satelite view that I have found. All things that google maps has.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
then

That's what my friend did still few years ago. One time he printed instructions and maps from google maps on a bunch of paper and headed to the next big city north of here (that's less than 100miles). When he got there however, first two exits from the motorway were temporarily blocked due construction and he had to enter city in a spot that he did not even had printed on paper maps... an unexpected adventure. Now he is using some Garmin gps one of his friends was going to throw away. It obviously does not show constructions but at least it will calculate alternative route when needed.

I use Waze always on while I'm driving, not for instructions but it has traffic warnings and like today, it warns about mobile speed traps. One possible fine averted, once again. If I go to some new place and I have time to prepare I usually check google maps and street view around the destination.

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
I DIDN'T want to display my OC when it comes to things like that, but I always have alternatives printed out for those WHOOPS things that pop up.

I always have a few different ways in and out of places.

even Anchorage, which only really has 2 roads leaving town. 😁

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,980 Posts

^^^this is why i have multiple topo maps of the states and places i travel to and camp/fish in along with this bombproof compass, that NEVER failed me in the big green machine... Tritium Compass 3H - Cammenga

phase1 land nav course..finding t-posts rain or shine, day or night from clicks away....that was a bitch of an evolution, especially in the Pinelandia summers....

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I use a garmin fenix 5x. I just mske a fpute with galua export it tp garmin explorer app then save it tp tje device works well with data but no date doesnt do automatic path finding pn the galia. So changeing it can be tefious but i just hir the botton while tracking pick a route and can see the trail. There is no navagation routes fire hiking so course is just walking if you want to do a course.

Works well enough back up is my phone and paper map and a compas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts