Survivalist Forum banner

161 - 180 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I keep a Gen3 Glock 21 with night sights and attached light in my nightstand. It's loaded with 230 grain Federal HSTs. Wife has a 380 pocket pistol loaded with HSTs on her side because that's what she's comfortable with. I've also got an AR and a 12 gauge coachgun in the bedroom.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Im not understanding how wearing a gun all the time is "living on the edge" and going to cause you stress.
I don't even wear clothes at all times.

Lets try this. My home is the place where I can be drunk, sick, sleepy, naked, in the bath, in a bad mood, focused, spaced out or otherwise not in a state to be armed.

When come down off the hill I do so alert, armed, equipped and on edge as that is enemy territory. (Not to mention, driving a vehicle which is another place you need to have all your wits about you to do safely)

My home is what it is so I can leave that behind when I come home, where I can let all the 'stuff' that goes with carrying a gun go. Take my pants off, flop down on the sofa and not worry If I can get to my holster or if I'm in an appropriate state to be armed at all. When I'm out and about getting home and emptying my pockets is something I look forward too. Being armed in my own home at all times would be like never coming home at all. Having a rack of rifles in my living room is just going to have to be good enough.

·
jwest
20 Posts
20 ga pistol grip pump, widest dispersion pattern. Noisy when racking to deter , low recoil so easy to handle for man or woman, is not powerful enough to kill your neighbor in the next house/apartment but reeks havoc in yours...

·
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)
2,216 Posts
Whats your opinion on pumps vs semi autos?
I like pumps but believe that a reliable auto is better, no need to use both hands to operate to shot, keep an attacker away and such. Loving my Benelli M1, fun to shoot too.
I have used both pumps and semi-autos. Both will do the job. But currently, I use a 7-shot Beretta 1201FP 12ga semi-auto 18" police trade-in, mainly because it is reliable with Federal OOB police low recoil loads and only weighs a bit more than 6 pounds.

(NOTE: the Beretta 1201FP is basically a police Benelli M1 with rifle sights, pistol-grip stock, and can be had on "Gunbroker.com" in very good police trade-in "slightly used" condition for $450-$500). They are slightly used because most PD's practice very little with their issue shotguns.

The problems with pumps are it takes a lot of training to prevent short-stroking when shooting fast, and like you said if one hand or arm is wounded it's extremely difficult to operate a pump.

·
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)
2,216 Posts
Thank you, both.

Folks can argue charts and graphs and other nonsense. This is the reality from experts in their fields.

And, it should be noted - I omitted it above - the 12 gauge has a very prominent role for MIL/LEO.

Your first photo and last photo both appear to be Beretta 1201FP semi-autos. Note the empties being ejected. You can see 4 empties still in the air, showing how fast the 1201FP can be fired due to its Benelli action.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,548 Posts
If you need a gun in a split second IN your house you either:

A, Need to kick out the threat who is living with you.

or

B, Get better doors and windows.

Nobody should be able to get into your house in a split second. If that is even a possibility you have major defensive problems you need to address before thinking about a gun.
Because no one ever rents &

IF they rent they don't deserve to protect their family??

Hard to justify hardening someone else's property especially when you may not live there in a few months.

The question while entertaining cannot simply be answered because too many folks with different laws, incomes, living situations, abilities and "common sense" all will have different needs & solutions......that is the reality of this thread IMHO :cool:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
The problems with pumps are it takes a lot of training to prevent short-stroking when shooting fast, and like you said if one hand or arm is wounded it's extremely difficult to operate a pump.
Yup, agreed 100%. I love pumps but Ill take a reliable auto if I can. People dont think getting shot in hands and arms isnt like it is, but it is.:D:

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I was a cop, I slapped the cuffs on 10 home invasion suspects during my career. 5 of them were wearing body armor.

That's right, 50% of the home invasion suspects I came into contact with were wearing body armor. All of it was soft body armor, not plates.

THIS is why I have an AR15 next to the bed, loaded with 30 rounds of 5.56 ammo. My AR15 will make swiss cheese of these bad guys. Shotgun pellets will bounce off of them, although they are still likely to scatter, but if they are armed, they are more likely to shoot back, if they are getting shot at, so I prefer my 5.56 to hit hard first and swiss cheese their body armor.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When I was a cop, I slapped the cuffs on 10 home invasion suspects during my career. 5 of them were wearing body armor.

That's right, 50% of the home invasion suspects I came into contact with were wearing body armor. All of it was soft body armor, not plates.

THIS is why I have an AR15 next to the bed, loaded with 30 rounds of 5.56 ammo. My AR15 will make swiss cheese of these bad guys. Shotgun pellets will bounce off of them, although they are still likely to scatter, but if they are armed, they are more likely to shoot back, if they are getting shot at, so I prefer my 5.56 to hit hard first and swiss cheese their body armor.
That's way more than I thought would have it, very interesting. I've been looking for a reason to set up an AR pistol and that's it. Due to the layout of my current house any kind of true long gun is a little too cumbersome.

And I don't understand the problem with short stroking pump guns. Maybe I've just shot them enough, but I've never had that problem. I just slam it back with violence, then slam it forward with violence.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #171

Very interesting. Would you say thats about normal or was your personal account unusually high based on your observations of other crimes and arrests?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,261 Posts
last year a 12 yr old kid defended his house from an intruder with an AR15 somewhere in houston.

I think the perp died.

Pretty Convincing.

·
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)
2,216 Posts
There is nothing wrong with having an AR15 as a home defense gun, as long as it is equipped with a flashlight to aid in identifying targets in the dark. Add a red dot sight and you will be as well armed as lots of SWAT guys.

I live in a fairly new subdivision, with the houses close together, so I keep a shotgun for home defense (instead of a rifle) since IMO stray buckshot is less likely to penetrate exterior walls than rifle bullets.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts

What percent of them were drug dealers robbing other drug dealers?

·
NRA Life 1971
8,243 Posts
For those of you who have decided to opt for the shotgun as your primary, the Benelli is probably the premier tool.
I personally will continue to opt for the slide action mainly because of the amount of trigger time I have regarding that platform beginning in the mid 60s.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,377 Posts

That is an excellent observation. Thanks for sharing.

It does offer a significant specific reason to pick a intermediate rifle caliber over a shotgun. I'm generally an advocate for the shotgun, but I also keep loaded AKs and ARs for this purpose to give me options based on perceived threat.

I'd be curious as to who the targets of the home invasions were - i.e. were these high-risk professions like drug dealers and turf wars or average home-owners who were just unlucky?

As for shotguns and soft armor, well if you miss the armor and hit the perp, it's still effective. And even a hit on the armor with buck or slug is still going to do significant (probably not immediately lethal but extremely painful) soft tissue damage. And soft armor is probably only covering a 12x10 inch area on the torso. Hits to the face/neck - lethal. Hits to the hips, legs, arms, gut, and side are going to be at least extremely debilitating or maybe fight stopping or lethal.
https://youtu.be/4qSVOZfp3R4

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,134 Posts
I have a S&W 12 gauge 8 shot riot pump but some concern as S&W must've had a good reason to stop making them.
Ownership of the company changed. The new owners felt S&W should focus on that which they were best known for, Handguns. The S&W shotguns were well made and very serviceable. BUT they were limited to the LE market and just could not be sold is sustainable numbers especially when the main competition was the Remington 870.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Well, my memory isn't the greatest anymore.

The boy was 15 and there were 2 intruders. His sister was 12. I guess the intruders survived.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2013/01/10/15-year-old-boy-uses-ar-15-to-defend-house-against-burglars/

Boy Uses Dad's AR-15 to Shoot Invader - THIS is why we have the second amendment PT 1 - YouTube

Ran across another video with his AR15 story.
My AR-15 Story: Why I Needed My AR-15 - YouTube
So shot multiple times with a AR and still ran away, eventually showed up at a hosptial... so 223 isnt the all-slaying hammer of God some believe it to be... hmm...

161 - 180 of 272 Posts