Votes: 35 4.0%
  • Cane Corso

Votes: 30 3.4%
1 - 20 of 540 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in knowing what people like & what people use and think the Best Guard Dog is? Home Protection, Personal Protection or just all around good Guard dog.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
well, you didn't have "other" as a choice.

We have a pack of small, fierce, loud and highly intelligent terriers (terrorists)
You just TRY and sneak anound our house. You'll be met with the most annoying alarm known to mankind! And I will bet mine can outrun any burglar or larger dog anyday....anytime!!!

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Law enforcement and military have prefered German sheperds over the years.
Drug dealers have prefered Pit bulls
Malls and store owners have used a lot of Dobermans for security

I'm not sure the particular breed matters as much as the intelligence and loyality of the individual animal. I'll take Zeus and Apollo ,the 2 dobermans from Magnum P.I.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I have had a Rott and a Shepherd.
Both were good guard dogs.
I wouldn't hesitate to get another of either.
The best natural guard dog I have ever had is the silly mutt I have right now.
He is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Akita mix. 150 pounds worth.
He's naturally vigilant.
He is very loyal, especially to my wife.
He is very good with kids.
You need an "other" vote in that poll.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Ive got 1/2 shepherd 1/2 lab dogs (2) see avatar. she runs 32MPH for almost a block before falling behind my truck. Her grandson now does the same thing. and great hearing...heck yea...catch rabbits...yep..drug up a small deer once too. plus gophers, large mice, the occasional cat....LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think most dogs will fill the bill for guard dogs, if all you want is a noise maker. I personally prefer larger dogs. My first dog is 1/2 great dane-1/2 german shepherd and the second dog is a brittany-beagle mix. Both are protective, fun loving and good with kids.

As you can see they are vicious. :D: My wife thought this was cute, I thought it to be cruel (but funny) ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
The best guard dog we've had is our Redbone.She sleeps on our front porch and lets us know if someone even turns into our driveway. Since we've had her we've also stopped having trouble with stray dogs coming into our yard.
In Patriots Surviving the Coming Collapse, J.Rawles narrows it down to 3 breeds, with Rhodesian Ridgeback being the best. The other two are Redbone and Black&Tan **** hounds.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
Had 3 Dobermans growing up.
Can't grab their tails because they're not there like most dogs.
No long hair to grab and hold on to.
Very fast and strong.
I agree though, most of the dog listed are great.
Surprised you didn't list the Bull terrier, Tosa, Boxer, Staffordshire bull terrier, pit bull terrier (no not the same as am staff).

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had 3 Dobermans growing up.
Can't grab their tails because they're not there like most dogs.
No long hair to grab and hold on to.
Very fast and strong.
I agree though, most of the dog listed are great.
Surprised you didn't list the Bull terrier, Tosa, Boxer, Staffordshire bull terrier, pit bull terrier (no not the same as am staff).

Bull terriers are way too small like English Bulldogs

Boxers dont make very good Guard dogs

And American Pitbulls were my 2nd choice on the lists lol

·
Registered
871 Posts
your gonna laugh but i had a 35 pound male beagle have a grown man crying cause he was sneeking up our walk way in the middle of the night and the dog spotted him and caught up with him in seconds, our beagle had the guy quite littertly by the BAG and had no intents on letting go no matter how hard the guy punched him he just wouldn't let go until i told him to. the police showed up and the called for an ambulance the guy's tan shorts were dark red all over from the blood lose, so my point is it's not the size of the dog in the fight it it's the size of the fight in the dog LOL.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
German Shepards because they are loyal, smart and big. Not only does the look conotate a vicious dog because its used by police, military and para military, not only can it take care of grown men, but it can make other dogs into frankfurters, bratwurst, polska kielbasa, italian sausage, footlongs or hot dogs depending on the bread of course :D: :thumb:

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Don't forget the Australian Cattle Dog

my akita shepard mix
I reckon this would be an awesome guard dog. I voted Shepherd having had one, and Akitas are supposed to be very protective.

The other Aussies might agree that our Red Heeler and Blue Heeler Cattle Dogs are pretty hot guard dogs as well. They aren't huge, but are strong, very quick and intelligent - not to mention downright SNEAKY. The standing joke about them is that you will get into the yard, but just try getting out! Mailman hell. They bite hard, especially around the "heels". :thumb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Cattle_Dog

·
Registered
124 Posts
I will never buy another breed, its like a loyal lion in my backyard

History and Origin
The Cane Corso's ancestors were the mastino dogs which lived in Tibet about a thousand years ago and were used as guards in the ancient monasteries. Some of these dogs were brought to Rome where they would fight lion in the Coliseums and served as "warriors" in Alexander Macedonian's army. They were used as hunting, shepherd dogs, watchdogs and guardians. Those Cane Corso's ancestors are known as Roman Molossian now. The appearance of the Cane Corso has changed little since that time. Now they have a little less weight, are less encumbered, but just as powerful.
During the First and Second World War the Cane Corso population decreased dramatically. But in the 1970s and 80s,a small group of Italian enthusiasts start to re-establish the breed and create a breed standard. The breed was recognised by the ENCI in the 1994 and by the FCI in the 1996.
Today the Cane Corso is used mostly as pets and guardians. Some Cane Corsos still can be seen herd cattle in the Southern Italy.
Temperament and Personality
The Cane Corso is known as an extremely bold, highly intelligent and easily trained dog. They are very territorial and suspicious of strangers. They are able to feel people's intention and to protect their owner and his property. Cane Corsos are very loyal but obedience training must be to prevent these dogs from being dominant toward people. The Cane Corso requires a lot of exercise and needs attention and interaction with its family. The Cane Corso being used as guardian for children during its long history, it makes an excellent pet for children.
Size and Appearance
The Cane Corso is an athletic breed. It is a medium-size muscular dog. The muzzle is very broad and deep. The coat is short and dense. A Cane Corso male should measure a minimum of 24 inches at the withers and 100 pounds; females, 22 inches and 80 pounds.
Care
Grooming needs are minimal. The Cane Corso needs just occasional combing and brushing to remove dead hair. Life span is about 10-11 years.
http://zooclub.biz/cane_corso
Mine will be about 150lbs

1 - 20 of 540 Posts