Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best 223/5.56mm bullet weight for coyotes?

Lets say 100 - 150 yards for the longest shot.

I have a couple of coyotes that have been killing my chickens. They have gotten brave and have been seen during the middle of the day.

After deer season ends in january I plan on doing some coyote hunting.

What grain 223 / 5.56mm bullet are you shooting for coyotes?

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,691 Posts
I've been having good luck with 50gr Speer SP

Sierra 50gr SP has been good too.

Most any soft point will do though. FMJ if you want the pelts but it doesn't sound like you do :D:

·
Registered
186 Posts
About any size pill well placed will stop a coyote. It really depends on your rifle. I've got a Thompson predator and while it's pretty accurate with 50-55gr, 1-1.5" group at a 100 yards, it actually prefers 40gr. I actually ran across some fiochi 40gr v-max and this gun loves it. 5 shot group at a 100yds you can cover with a nickel.

·
Forum Administrator
16,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on using my palmetto state armory carbine.

Awhile back I picked up some 223 remingtion 45 grain tipped rounds that are marketed for predators. I am not at home right now so I am not sure of the brand or exact weight.

Then I have some 62 or 65 grain America eagle that are sold in 120 round boxes.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
Kev,

Winchester sells white box 55 grain projectiles in both soft points and the newer poly tipped bullets. Either of those should keep your chickens safe. About $23 for 20 rounds at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I tried some 40gr nosler Ballistic tips... Talk about destruction...on some they left no exit wound but blew up upon impact. Others went in tiny and blew an exit wound that looked a bomb went off inside of it.

Depending on your guns twist rate it may like lighter or heavier bullets. My 1/12 twist likes anything under 52gr and my 1/7 likes the MSR bullets designed for deer hunting on coyotes.

But lately my favorite cartridge for coyotes is my 243, 105gr Nosler Ballistic tips.

·
In the woods
Multiple disciplines
584 Posts
Hunting yotes with my PSA carbine, I am getting 3600 with the 53 and 3400 with the 62 in a PSA 16" CHF, 5.56 NATO 1:7 twist . At the moment I reload with Varget under the 62gr working from about 21.6 grains. Seems to put the Eastern Coywolf down with any shot placement. Drop and stop baby.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Up to 200 yards just about any .223/5.56 round will do the job on coyotes. The question is if you want to sell the pelts. If not, any round. Otherwise, I recommend a lightweight HP or frangible round that won't over-penetrate (thru & thru).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ideally, find what is the most accurate out of your firearm. Different firearms seem to match better with different rounds.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Ideally, find what is the most accurate out of your firearm. Different firearms seem to match better with different rounds.
This is what I would do. Any .223/5.56 round will kill them but they really like to be way the heck out there when you want to shoot one.

·
Living Simple
992 Posts
I use 50-55 grain Hornady V-Max myself. Have killed dozens upon dozens of coyotes with that bullet. I handload all my V-max so it's not production, but any polymer tip or soft point will do.

·
reading since 2008
895 Posts
Use your cheapest ammo since you wont be calling them. 55 grain fmj 100_150 yards will wreck them. Hit their biggest body mass that presents their varmints.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am just starting to try my hand in coyote hunting for the ones in my area. I got a couple outside cats that I dont want to disappear due to coyotes.

I got a rabbit and mouse caller - but any suggestions/helpful hints are much appreciated.

I would like to hunt early morning and not at night since I dont have night vision optics.

·
Registered
374 Posts
All I ever used was a Dying Rabbit mouth call with a decoy about 20-30 yards away. Today, cheap remote call boxes are a pretty good deal to get the incoming animal to focus on the sound / décor.

As has now been mentioned several times, shoot whatever cartridge is the most accurate through your gun. I prefer some type of SP/Ballistic Tip bullet vs a FMJ. Although both will work.

Regards,

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts