Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fiskar hatchet..

But I'm told it'd be a good idea to have a good holding saw..

What are the best ones, according to those who have practical experience with hopefully more than one?

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I used the Gerber for a while. Problem is once you get too agressive and bend it a little, the blade is junk. I now use the Sawvivor. It weighs more and it isn't really folding but it is about the same size as the Gerber when collapsed and it allows two hand use (less chance of blade bending). I've only used it for about a year, but it works well so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Given a choice, in a survival pack, do you guys think you would really need one if you have a good hatchet?

Thoughts?

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Given a choice, in a survival pack, do you guys think you would really need one if you have a good hatchet?

Thoughts?
The only reason I don't like hatchets for packing is the weight. Some people also complain that they take longer to get through a log, though time is rarely a concern of mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Fiskars one I have is really light..

The handle is hollow, but shatter resistant..

I don't plan on wasting my time and energy on any standing tree trunks (if they're deadfalls all the better, won't even have to cut them up) bigger than 8" in diameter..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
http://www.svensaw.com/

I have used mine for over ten years. Discovered them while building trails with the Appalachian Trail Club.

15" $22.00
21" $24.00

Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts