Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am too lazy to go out and buy all the random things I need for a first aid kit, so I am wondering what is the best pre-made first aid kit on the market, that is small enough to fit in a bugout bag? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how skilled are you?
for most of the people is some bandaid and painkillers more then their skill level
I could easily do anything as long as instructions are provided, I want a wide variety of medical supplies, like suture needles, blood clotting stuff, splints, etc.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I am too lazy to go out and buy all the random things I need for a first aid kit, so I am wondering what is the best pre-made first aid kit on the market, that is small enough to fit in a bugout bag? Thanks.
How big is your bug out bag? Size determines size.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Following up on EscapefromNY, I'd go to any well-stocked outdoor store, which will have at least five different sized kits from Adventure Medical. Pick the one that both fits inside your BOB and has the equipment you're looking for.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I could easily do anything as long as instructions are provided, I want a wide variety of medical supplies, like suture needles, blood clotting stuff, splints, etc.
Learning how to administer emergency first aid is the LAST thing you want to be doing DURING AN EMERGENCY!

·
Sic semper tyrannis.
8,437 Posts
If you need something beyond a basic kit to cover lacerations,puncture, and open wounds, Adventure Medical makes something called a Trauma Pack. It fits nicely in a BDU sized pocket as-is.

At the end of the day building a personalized kit is ideal, but maybe some smaller off the shelf kits will get you started.
Take a First Aid class if you have not already.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
If you're wanting advanced stuff like sutures, you are probably going to have to build at least part of it yourself. I found it easier to just build my own kit so that it had exactly what I wanted. None of the kits on the market did. You'll end up having to add stuff to yours anyway, so it's not that much more work to just start off that way.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Go Heavy On The Simple Bumps, Cuts And Scratches Stuff

Excellent answers already given and thank you. If you are Bugging Out, you, hers or they will trip, fall and bang themselves up walking or running. Personal experience. Fell onto rocks. Ouch. Triple up+ on the bigger compresses, tape and heavy oral painers. You will need it. Consider cammy colored. White does stand out. Good luck. HB of CJ (clumsy old coot) (ex FF, PM, RN) :) (it hurt too!) :)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Then again, you can be equipped better than a doctor at the best hospital, if you dont have the knowledge....they just look pretty. Training is your best tool IMHO.
Agreed in a big way. I've taken the Red Cross first responder course and CERT and I still only know basic first aid. I do have pretty comprehensive medical supplies, but only because we have an RN among our group. Anything above first aid really requires specialized training.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skill trumps equipment, so improve your first aid/medical skills now and you will know what you need. "Buying something" is NOT the way to go for medical supplies.
It's not that hard to put ointment on and wrap bandages around wounds... seriously you people are making this into rocket science, and if I need to suture a big cut I am sure I could figure it out, it cant be that different from sewing. It is better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it... Regardless of whether or not you know how to use it. I just want a comprehensive medical kit full of everything I need in many different scenarios in case of TEOTWAWKI happens and there are no hospitals.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
If you are Bugging Out, you, hers or they will trip, fall and bang themselves up walking or running. Personal experience. Fell onto rocks. Ouch. HB of CJ (clumsy old coot) (ex FF, PM, RN) :) (it hurt too!) :)
Thought I would show the kids how I used to skateboard, wearing shorts and fell on gravel/sidewalk, road rash big time. Told kids time to go home, made it home without crying too.
Haven't been on skateboard since.

Fell over 10' off jetty down at Port Aransas, TX, landed on back on top of big flat boulder. Thought I was just scraped and winded, years later found out I knocked rib loose.

Stuff happens.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts