Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just starting to put together a BOB for myself. This is going to be actually used and tested by me. It will be for bugging out of a large city location, but also work for camping/staying in Kentucky woods/forest.

Anyway looking for the best first aid kit for the price. Not too big, but also needs to have all the essentials I would need.

Any advice? I was looking at this one:

:cool:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Buy one with a good strong case then modify its contents yourself.

Only you know what size, capability, weight, etc you need.

·
Web Designer
764 Posts
1st aid kits usually don't come with:

Betadine (For cleaning wounds)
Sutures (Needle & thread for stitches)
More Gauze

·
Fenced In
3,406 Posts
Most store-bought FAKs are way too heavy on things like Band-Aids and hand sanitizing wipes, and lacking sufficient (or any) amounts of burn treatments, butterfly bandages, eye treatments and so on. I have found some "contractor kits" that contain a better balance of useful items, as well as some OSHA-grade kits, but ended up assembling my own kit once I had some idea of what sorts of injuries I'd realistically be in a position to treat. I'd suggest going to http://www.redflarekits.com/first-aid-refills and buying an assortment of things.

I'd never heard of an Israeli combat bandage until recently, but I have a few of those in my FAK, as well as other items that I could use to treat my own injuries one-handed.

·
Tactical Medic
54 Posts
I teach wilderness as well as Tactical Medic classes. I have some expierence :)

start with your own bag that will fit in or on your BOB. Then decide where you will mainly use it. You had mentioned the woods. Ok. Good starting point.

Most people will say "get a SAM splint for borken bones!" NO NEED! if you have duct tape in your BOB as you should, find a straight stick and use it as a splint. No sense in carrying exra gear when you can find a perfectly good substitute.

I recommend Quikclot. The civilian version is called Quiclot Sport and is at wally world for ten bucks. It stops bleeding very quickly when used with direct pressure and other gauze.

Go heavy on the guaze if you want to go heavy on one item. You can never have to much and it is very light. You can pack 20 4x4 gauze pads in the same amount of space as a wallet.

The next step would be an American Heart first aid class, or you could take EMT classes to solidify the training.

Alcohol prep pads for sanitizing, an ace bandage for wrapping wounds or a gauze roll.

Some over the counter meds, a little bottle of contact solution for eye irrigation, a set of tweezers, and a knife would round out a rudimentary kit. I will post pics in the next few days of mine that I carry daily.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Most people will say "get a SAM splint for borken bones!" NO NEED! if you have duct tape in your BOB as you should, find a straight stick and use it as a splint. No sense in carrying exra gear when you can find a perfectly good substitute.
Unless you live in a place like Arizona where the closest thing you can often find to a stick is the side of a saguaro cactus =)

I recommend Quikclot. The civilian version is called Quiclot Sport and is at wally world for ten bucks. It stops bleeding very quickly when used with direct pressure and other gauze.
+1. I'm partial to the combat gauze version, but also have a few other variants such as the Sport and even some of the classic granulated 'the ER team is gonna hate me for using this' type.

Go heavy on the guaze if you want to go heavy on one item. You can never have to much and it is very light. You can pack 20 4x4 gauze pads in the same amount of space as a wallet.
HUGE +++++ to this one. It's cheap, easy to get, and really it is impossible to have too much. I've found the 5x9 sizes to be pretty damn cheap too at 19 cents a pop. Throwing in a few beefy rolls of kerlix is always a plus, albeit a bit more pricey. I also stock a few boxes of 12ftx3in stretch gauze just for good measure. Throw in plenty of coflex self-adhering wraps (the version Petsmart sells is much cheaper and is truly no different) and you've got the ability to sock up and control quite a bit of bleeding, protect wounds as they heal, etc.

The next step would be an American Heart first aid class, or you could take EMT classes to solidify the training.

Alcohol prep pads for sanitizing, an ace bandage for wrapping wounds or a gauze roll.

Some over the counter meds, a little bottle of contact solution for eye irrigation, a set of tweezers, and a knife would round out a rudimentary kit. I will post pics in the next few days of mine that I carry daily.
All great stuff, with heavy emphasis on the training. Honestly, it's much like shooting. You can buy the gun and let it sit there until you need it, but you're gonna be in for a world of hurt if you haven't spent the time learning beforehand.

In response to the mention of izzy bandages, I like them, and have more than a few, but I am working quickly to replace them with H bandages. They're a LOT stronger, apply pressure more directly to the wound, and are much easier to use with one free hand. The prices are similar to izzys as well, so for me (and the combat-experienced medic I got trained by) it's a no-brainer.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I've got several first aid kits, but my best was an empty bag. I chose a dedicated first aid bag about the right size for the job, and outfitted it myself. This one looks like a good deal for the price, but I'd probably add a few things: get lots of topical antibiotics, a snake bite kit, more gauze (as the other guy said), and a tourniquet at least. And something to make splints. Think broken bones and lots of bleeding. Taking care of minor cuts is simple enough.

·
Beautiful Psychopath
123 Posts
i used a semi hard (thin plastic covered in nylon) case for a sony psp. i used the hell out of it for several years and its still in dang good condition. stocked it myself. various size bandages, antibiotoc ointment, ace bandage wrap, different basic medications, ankle brace (i have bad ankles), gauze roll

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out Adventure Medical Kits...I have several levels of their kits. They offer a fairly wide range of kits from less than $10 on up...

·
survivor
31 Posts
I always have a simple, easy to use tourniquet. I carried one all the time in the military, contracting overseas, hunting, everywhere I go. It as just as important as gauze. If you have an a wound that will cause you to bleed out, gauze wont fix it. A few years ago the thought was that a tourniquet will cause you to use that limb, now they teach to put it on all the time, tactical medicine side teaches that anyways. I have seen them used, and used them in real life situations, they work and save lives. I know people that have fallen and got stuck with their own broadhead arrows hunting, people fall on sharp metal, you name it it could happen, especially in a shtf situation. I know there is someone that will say you dont need a tourniquet, you can make one out of a stick and some 550 cord. one, thats stupid to risk not having one on hand. if you can bleed out from an arterial wound, do you want to take the time to tie string and get a stick from the nearest tree and try to stop the flow of blood. second, something thin like string can cause tissue damage because of the narrow width. best bet, get something like a CAT tourniquet, or a SOF ratchet tourniquet. easy to use, practice on arms and legs, and have it readily available. just my thought, a must have for a med kit

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
A first aid kit is practically useless unless you know first aid. It's not as simple as it sounds.

Enroll in a community first aid class and learn CPR, choking first aid, bleeding first aid, etc. It is time well spent and not expensive. It may save you or someone's life.

And explore the liability factors at class too. You take on some liability when you render first aid. We were told to address the victim if they are coherent. Tell them " I am trained in first aid, do you want me to assist you.?"

I know, it's lawyer crap, but it may save your farm.

Reactions: sachson and hayes31

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
build your own, is the best way.

Then it can be tailored to your skill level, and area where you live as well.

The one size fits all FAK tend to do several things but none of them well.

·
One day at a time........
299 Posts
basic kit is all you need, bandages, scissors, medical tape, band aids, safety pins, pain killers etc, stuff you can use and would expect to use. no point carrying gear above your skill level

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Adventure Medical Kits. Dont get the little one, dont really need the big ones for a BOB. I like the .9 size. Then I add Celox powder (healthier than QuikClot) extra 4x4's, betadine wipes, and have a CAT tournequet 'n Israeli bandage quick 'n handy inside the pack along with water purifyer tablets, etc. DONT GET A CHEAP KIT. They are mostly bandaids and really are worthless...

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
I teach wilderness as well as Tactical Medic classes. I have some expierence :)

start with your own bag that will fit in or on your BOB. Then decide where you will mainly use it. You had mentioned the woods. Ok. Good starting point.

+1 for taking an E?MT course. It's the most rewarding single semester, 5 Unit college class I ever took. Never let your certification expire. Renew on time. That training will guide you through what you need in your kit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.