Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Adventurer
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is the best fighting knife out there? I’m thinking ALL AROUND fighting knife….. Meaning one you can carry on your belt unconcealed day to day but could serve as the best go-to-war knife as well.

Let’s keep it down to knives that cost under 200 dollars. (My budget)

·
Registered
Yes
16 Posts
Best? K-bar. Hands down. It's in my go bag. Next question...

When I was in the Army I bought an early Gerber pig sticker. In fact so early it's worth a bundle now and it has been relagated to my collector case. I also have one of the early "SEAL Black Knives." Substantial switchblade, but the heft and opening power nearly jumps it out of your hand. Cool knife, worth hundreds now, pretty worthless in use. Needs to be stippled or something.

My overall favorite (see pic) is my sailing bowie that I got in England about 45 years ago when their subjects were allowed to own pointy things. Handmade, simple, looks like a steak knife, holds a edge forever. I wish I could find someone to make a kydex holster that would hold it.

These days I carry a Cold Steel boot knife horizontally on my belt. The particular pants make it stick out a little further than normal due to the loop placement makes it hit my mag holster. Generally it pokes out about 1 inch and I wear it further back. Under a loose shirt it is unnoticable. I love the kydex sheath.

Natural material Wood Blade Knife Metal
Sleeve Waist Grey Street fashion Denim

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Kukri is whats sitting in my Minute Man Bag. Not the best at stabbing things but if you need to slash it, chop it or split it, I think you would be hard pressed to do it any more efficiently than with a Kukri. Mine is patterned after the one Cold Steel makes but was custom made to order out of Damacus Twist Steel. I do have a soft spot for heavy weight Bowie knives as well. I wouldnt snub a K-Bar either.

·
Moderator, floor sweeper, guardian of dust bunnies
3,250 Posts
I'm in the woods more than on the streets, so I will tell of my favorite blade in that setting.

I usually carry a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri with me when I forage in the woods, harvest cattails, bamboo, and other things. It is also a workhorse for many other purposes; I can get a lot more done with a Kukri than with any other cutting instrument I have ever used.

However, I feel assured that if I were to practice a bit more for self-defense with my Kukri, I might be able to surprise the hell out of an attacker who may mistake me for a defenseless little old lady digging in the dirt for roots and herbs...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm in the woods more than on the streets, so I will tell of my favorite blade in that setting.

I usually carry a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri with me when I forage in the woods, harvest cattails, bamboo, and other things. It is also a workhorse for many other purposes; I can get a lot more done with a Kukri than with any other cutting instrument I have ever used.

However, I feel assured that if I were to practice a bit more for self-defense with my Kukri, I might be able to surprise the hell out of an attacker who may mistake me for a defenseless little old lady digging in the dirt for roots and herbs...

Grizz, have you been hanging out with the British Army and their Gurka units ?

My Thanksgiving cruisine will include some cricket gumbo - at least the thought of it.

You're not little nor old. It's a state of mind.

Have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am a fan of Jeff Cooper a pistol is a defensive weapon, and can keep you alive to you get to your rifle. You Fight with a rifle.

As far as knives I have an old Woodsman's pal, and a couple big Bowie knives. SMKW sells Damascus blade blanks that you have to finish yourself and they hold up really well.

·
Registered
384 Posts

The ESEE 6 would get my vote. It's less expensive cousin, the Ontario RAT 7 is almost the same knife and is a good blade too. If you want a smaller blade, the Ontario RAT 5 or the ESEE 3 or ESEE 4 are good blades. I carry an ESEE 3 on my belt every day in the same position shown in the picture in post above by UserNameTaken.
The Kabar mentioned above is not a bad choice either, although the ESEE/RAT is a much stronger, more durable design. If you do decide to go with a Kabar, it might be worth looking at the Dog's Head model, it is a better survival design than the original USMC fighting knife.

·
Registered
384 Posts
In my opinion the best one either comes from boker, tops or shun. They are the top of the line brand for a reason. I collect survival knives as a hobby and I beleive that the best knives always are from a good brand. Ive collected survival knives for years now and the best one is the boker knife. I have the copper pillar knife and it has been serving me extremely well. Has anyone of tried it out for yourself? Let me know your opinion. I read reviews on Amazon and they all seem to be positive.
When it comes to Boker, they make some quality knives, but you have to pay close attention to what you are purchasing. They are making a lot of knives in Argentina and China, and the quality is not the same as a traditional Boker. Some of the labeling on their non-german knives can be misleading. I like Boker, and have knives from them, but be very cautious buying from them if you're looking for a blade to stake your life on.
In my personal opinion, ESEE quality is on par with Boker, and you get more blade for your money.

·
Low speed , High drag
1,126 Posts
Esse 6 with the 3D contoured handle great all around knife, the regular handle is ok but the contoured handle fits your hand so much better. These can be had for around 120 bucks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Esse 6 with the 3D contoured handle great all around knife, the regular handle is ok but the contoured handle fits your hand so much better. These can be had for around 120 bucks.
I completely agree. I really like the micarta handles, but the 3D ones are even better, particularly on the larger blades like the ESEE 6.

·
Super Moderator
12,375 Posts
Current issue USMC Ontario Knife Company OKC-3S bayonet/fighting knife/utility knife.

OKC 3S Bayonet – OntarioKnife

Always shop around and watch shipping charges.

Ontario Mil-Spec OKC 3S USMC Bayonet 8 Serrated Drop Point 1095 Black (midwayusa.com)

Amazon.com : OKC3S Marine Bayonet, Black Blade, Tan Hard Sheath : Sports & Outdoors

Ontario Knife OKC 3S Bayonet, 6504 at Ontario-Knife-Store.com

Ontario OKC3S Khaki Brown USMC Bayonet 8" Blade and Scabbard (6504) - KnifeCenter

I got mine (should have got at least two, if not three, considering...) years ago at a gun show for $87.00

I have used several knives as my go-to field knife. From my dad's issue Ka-bar to a Buck General for a long time, then a Cold Steel Oda, and now the OKC-3S. While I had the Buck General I ran across information on Randall Made Knives. He made knives for military personnel during WW II, with the Randall R-1 being the most famous and one of the most well liked. Even when I discovered it, the knife was far out of my price range, not to mention there was already a waiting list to purchase it, along with most of his other knives.

Some time after that, Cold Steel came out with the Oda. It was very close to the R-1 in design, with a couple of things I liked. One of which was it was available and the price. I purchased one, immediately began using it, and then bought another when I decided it was going to be my primary knife.

Cold Steel quit making the knife, though they do have a couple still close in design to the R-1. Then the Marines requested a new bayonet that would be at the very least acceptable as a fighting knife and hopefully as a general use utility knife for use by the Corps.

Ontario Knife Company came through for them and the OKC-3S began to be issued, with very good reviews from the Marines using it. While I have not had to do any fighting with mine, I feel like I could, with good effect considering my health and condition.

I liked it so much that I had adapters made so I could use it on the PTR-91 I had at the time, as well as the Remington 11-87 12-gauge shotgun with 26" barrel and magazine extension that gave me 9+1 capacity. (along with a 4-round Speed-Feed pistol grip stock, 6-round butt cuff, and 8-round side-saddle.)

Until something comes along to beat it, which I do not see happening in any kind of near future where I will still be around, the OKC-3S will continue to be my primary field knife, including suburban and urban carry if things deteriorate much more than they already have.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
On your belt, unconcealed.
Go-to-war quality.

I'm also assuming that when you say "fighting knife" you mean "specialized for killing people and any further utility is purely incidental". I'm also going to assume that utility knives that are well suited for killing are also welcome.
---------------------------------------------------------‐--
A dose of reality tells us that using edged metal on humans in the modern era typically falls into one of two categories: surprise attack at close range, and desperate defense with barely enough time to draw your blade.

This also brings up the topic of sheaths. Most sheaths, especially for cheaper knives, are designed to secure the knife as well as possible or as cheaply as possible, or both. This nearly always precludes an effective and fast one-handed draw. If your budget is a hard 200$, keep the potential need for sheath work in mind.
-------------------------------------------------------
All that said, here's what I think fits the bill:

HavocWorks HN9, 150$. Fixed blade, sheath geared for concealment, designed around stabbing.

Ka-Bar Fighting Knife, 80$+. Fixed blade, sheath may be a slight impediment to a quick draw (good aftermarket sheaths should be inexpensive), round handle may hinder blade indexing under stress.

Cold Steel 1917 Bowie, 115$. Fixed blade, sheath is meant to go inside of belt and not hang from it, but can also be concealed.

Cold Steel SRK, 80$. Fixed blade, sheath may need modification for easy draw with belt loop, holds knife securely without belt loop.

Glock Field Knife, 35$. Sheath is atrocious, very stabby, don't get the one with the root saw serrations.

Any Cold Steel folder with a Triad lock or Spyderco with a compression lock would do well for a folder, which shouldn't be ignored.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts