Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
-------Look, I'm grey---^
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Etón American Red Cross ARCFR600R. After reading the reviews on Amazon I am not so sure. Anyone have one? What do you think?

Is there something better?

·
LOST!!!!
227 Posts
I had the eton 600 too. But after having it for 3 months or so i took it back. Luckily i bought it at rei so i got my money back. I took it camping on three different trips during the summer and it really didnot perform as i thought it should.
I am still looking for a replacement radio to have.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
kinda depends on what you want and what you budget is...if all you want is broadcast stations and weather channels, then that will work... kinda like the "swiss army knife" of radios...flashlight, cell charger, crank power, etc... really more of a camping radio than a SHTF radio IMO...I mean do you really expect to have cell capabilities if everything goes to hell?

but if you want to listen to shortwave tansmissions as well as broadcast stations, you have to get something more substantial that has AM/FM/SSB modes like the Grundig G5 or the Sony ICF-SW7600GR (these are $100-$150)... you may want info other than where the government is telling you to assemble in crisis times...this will let you listen to anyone transmitting on amateur bands as well as broadcast....just my opinion...good luck

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
kinda depends on what you want and what you budget is...if all you want is broadcast stations and weather channels, then that will work... kinda like the "swiss army knife" of radios...flashlight, cell charger, crank power, etc... really more of a camping radio than a SHTF radio IMO...I mean do you really expect to have cell capabilities if everything goes to hell?

but if you want to listen to shortwave tansmissions as well as broadcast stations, you have to get something more substantial that has AM/FM/SSB modes like the Grundig G5 or the Sony ICF-SW7600GR (these are $100-$150)... you may want info other than where the government is telling you to assemble in crisis times...this will let you listen to anyone transmitting on amateur bands as well as broadcast....just my opinion...good luck

I don't have a cell phone now, sure the hell don't want one then.

I am an amateur operator, but was just looking into a small all in one device for emergencies that I can listen in with. Instead of having to have a lot of gear for different bands and power generation, something more portable.

What I do want is crank generator, solar and ability to generate power for other devices(not sure what but could come in handy, maybe to recharge batteries for flashlights).

I also want shortwave radio(I do want outside news). If all US communications went down would be nice to here world news(listen to it more now anyway).

Price range you listed(100-150) is fine. Will look at those you suggested.

I am an amateur operator, but was just looking into a small all in one device for emergencies that I can listen in with. Instead of having to have a lot of gear for different bands and power generation, something more portable.

·
Registered
33,572 Posts

What I do want is crank generator, solar and ability to generate power for other devices(not sure what but could come in handy, maybe to recharge batteries for flashlights).

I also want shortwave radio(I do want outside news). If all US communications went down would be nice to here world news(listen to it more now anyway).

I've been waiting for a while for a good quality one that has the features you mentioned...I'm still waiting. I would love to have one with a REAL GOOD, well built crank, I have the Chinese junk but I would love to have a good one. I might go $300 if someone would put together a decent product

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts

The survival problem that i am having is communication. My other family members live 150 miles away. I know when the SHTF the cell phones will be the first thing to collapse.

In Hurricane Rita the problem was overload of the system from too many users trying to call out. In Hurricane Katrina the cell phone infrastructure was destroyed. On 9/11 there was overload of the system. In Haiti the infrastructure was destroyed. Relief agencies had to use satellite phones.

How do I have an independent communication system free of some paid service like internet or cell phone or land lines?

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The survival problem that i am having is communication. My other family members live 150 miles away. I know when the SHTF the cell phones will be the first thing to collapse.

In Hurricane Rita the problem was overload of the system from too many users trying to call out. In Hurricane Katrina the cell phone infrastructure was destroyed. On 9/11 there was overload of the system. In Haiti the infrastructure was destroyed. Relief agencies had to use satellite phones.

How do I have an independent communication system free of some paid service like internet or cell phone or land lines?
Simple:
Amateur Radio
http://www.arrl.org/

Will far surpass 150 miles

·
Above all, endure
146 Posts
I'm working on getting household 6 on board with a C-Crane emergency radio -- I'm also talking to a buddy of mine about us getting a Midland "base radio" (same thing as the C Crane emergency radio, but with an FM transmitter with two types of encryption).

If anyone here has used either I sure could use an opinion ;)

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm working on getting household 6 on board with a C-Crane emergency radio -- I'm also talking to a buddy of mine about us getting a Midland "base radio" (same thing as the C Crane emergency radio, but with an FM transmitter with two types of encryption).

If anyone here has used either I sure could use an opinion ;)
Which C-Crane you looking at. Personally I want shortwave also.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
CC Observer or the Midland "base camp radio."
This one? Only problem? It doesn't have shortwave. And transmitting, you'll never hit 150+ miles. I agree with SouthernOutdoorsman: Amateur Radio.

http://midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio.BS3/XT511-Base-Camp
22 Channels Clear, crisp communication with easy button access
121 Privacy Codes - Gives you up to 3144 channel options to help you block other conversations
NOAA Weather Alert Radio - Automatically alerts for severe weather/hazard information 24/7
5 Call Alerts - Different call tones to notify you of incoming calls from your group
eVOX - 3 Sensitivity Levels - Easy voice activation - No need for external microphone
Channel Scan - Automatically checks channels for activity
Dual Watch - Lets you monitor two channels
Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise
Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings
Monitor - Checks for any activity within your channel
HI/LO Power Settings - Lets you adjust transmit power & conserve battery life
Roger Beep - Indicates call completion
Silent Operation - Turns off all tones for quiet operation
Bright Backlit Display [LCD] - Easy to read day or night
Keystroke Tones - Audible tones with each key press
AM/FM Radio
Alarm Clock with Snooze
Flashlight
USB Connector -Allows you to recharge your cell phone in an emergency
Mic and Headphone Jacks
Battery Life Extender - Provides longer battery life
5 Power Options - Uses 4 standard “AA” batteries, Rechargeable Battery Pack, Dynamo Crank, AC Adapter or DC Adapter
Specs
Channels: 22 FRS/GMRS and 7 Weather
Frequency band: GMRS 462.550 ~ 467.7125 MHz, WX 162.400-162.550
FM/AM Frequency: AM 530 ~ 1700 kHz, FM 87.9 ~108.1 MHz

Have it. Works great on GMRS. Just don't get humongous distances. For that, you have to go Ham.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
I've been reading about a Yaesu FT-60R. I'm liking what I'm reading about it. Anyone have any experience with this one?
The other day the sirens were going off in our neighborhood. My first thought was to turn on the radio and see what was happening, then I saw it was a parade!
Well, it got me thinking. What if something "did" happen and there was no radio or tv signal? My emergency radio isn't the best one, but I would want to know what had just happened in the event of an emegency so I could better prepare.
I think a good, realible emergency radio is essential to an prep supplies.
I would like to get into HAM but don't think I'm smart enough:xeye:

·
Above all, endure
146 Posts
Thanks, Rick -- I probably gonna pick one of these up. The transmitting distance is fine for my needs and plans -- especially when I make it back up north.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This one? Only problem? It doesn't have shortwave. And transmitting, you'll never hit 150+ miles. I agree with SouthernOutdoorsman: Amateur Radio.

http://midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio.BS3/XT511-Base-Camp
22 Channels Clear, crisp communication with easy button access
121 Privacy Codes - Gives you up to 3144 channel options to help you block other conversations
NOAA Weather Alert Radio - Automatically alerts for severe weather/hazard information 24/7
5 Call Alerts - Different call tones to notify you of incoming calls from your group
eVOX - 3 Sensitivity Levels - Easy voice activation - No need for external microphone
Channel Scan - Automatically checks channels for activity
Dual Watch - Lets you monitor two channels
Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise
Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings
Monitor - Checks for any activity within your channel
HI/LO Power Settings - Lets you adjust transmit power & conserve battery life
Roger Beep - Indicates call completion
Silent Operation - Turns off all tones for quiet operation
Bright Backlit Display [LCD] - Easy to read day or night
Keystroke Tones - Audible tones with each key press
AM/FM Radio
Alarm Clock with Snooze
Flashlight
USB Connector -Allows you to recharge your cell phone in an emergency
Mic and Headphone Jacks
Battery Life Extender - Provides longer battery life
5 Power Options - Uses 4 standard “AA” batteries, Rechargeable Battery Pack, Dynamo Crank, AC Adapter or DC Adapter
Specs
Channels: 22 FRS/GMRS and 7 Weather
Frequency band: GMRS 462.550 ~ 467.7125 MHz, WX 162.400-162.550
FM/AM Frequency: AM 530 ~ 1700 kHz, FM 87.9 ~108.1 MHz

Have it. Works great on GMRS. Just don't get humongous distances. For that, you have to go Ham.
what kind of distances ARE you seeing? just curious, i'm aware of the limitations of GMRS but haven't seen anything about THAT radio.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
what kind of distances ARE you seeing? just curious, i'm aware of the limitations of GMRS but haven't seen anything about THAT radio.
4 to 5 miles over flat terrain. And that's really flat Texas terrain, or lakeside. Haven't had a chance to really push it yet. I know all the wiz-bang walkie talkies say 28 miles, 35 miles, etc. I have yet to see one do that.
What I WANT to do, is get inside and solder a BNC connector to the antenna leads so I can attach a better antenna.

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been reading about a Yaesu FT-60R. I'm liking what I'm reading about it. Anyone have any experience with this one?
The other day the sirens were going off in our neighborhood. My first thought was to turn on the radio and see what was happening, then I saw it was a parade!
Well, it got me thinking. What if something "did" happen and there was no radio or tv signal? My emergency radio isn't the best one, but I would want to know what had just happened in the event of an emegency so I could better prepare.
I think a good, realible emergency radio is essential to an prep supplies.
I would like to get into HAM but don't think I'm smart enough:xeye:

Tech license is easy to get. And if you just want to listne look for good shortwave or scanner.

·
human
4,430 Posts
I think the best radio to have would be a ham radio. One that is both a general coverage receiver and amateur band transmitter.

I've seen many posts here mention making sure you buy quality since you might be REALLY putting you life in "it's" hands.

I've played with my share of radios from different manufactures and Midland would never make it to the "short list".

I glanced at the midland specs and didn't see what freq. they transmit on. I also saw this.. Maximum Power Allowed by Law. This causes some flags to wave. On most ANY band the average joe can transmit with 100 mw. Which is NOTHING.

Most any amateur radio will operate (receive) day long off of a car battery and give you the option to transmit.

For an antenna a wire strung between trees will WAY out preform the antenna most any portable radio.

When the crap hit's the fan no one will be asking you for your ham license. And, no one can be sure what bands are open or which ones will be in use.

I'm a newbie here, and I'm surprised by how few threads about communications and power generation there are.

Just some of the features I'd look for are AM/FM/SSB/CW with filters.
with an adjustable power output and build in automatic antenna tuner.
a LAMINATED copy of common used freqs and the mores code.

Don't forget some coax, a couple of insulators and copper wire for your antenna.

For those that are teckies.. you can find radios that interface to computers and software packages that can display things like weather maps and mores code.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
Early this spring, someone on this site posted this deal in another thread. I ordered both (one was free anyway), and I have to say I am very pleased with both. I knew nothing about Short Wave when I placed the order, and only know slightly more now but I am having fun learning.

Here is the deal:http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/4000.html

You get the Grundig 4000A AND the Eton FR350 AND the antenna! See the product descriptions in the blue field on the left.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.