Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I'm in search for a new dog...
As I am now into this world, I would like to know which breeds would be the best for a survivalist...
I mean, which breed would be the best all-around?
It should be a good guardian, but also loyal and easy on child, to like outdoors, to be a good hunter and not to expensive on maintenance... maybe this dog doesn't exist, but I would like to know your opinions...
I generally like the mastiffs, more like the Great Danes, but don't know about their hunting/endurance capabilities and also they are harder to maintain food-wise... I also like german shorthaired pointers, but don't know about their guardian capabilities... (had once a labrador retriever and went away with an extranger when I left my door open -.- hehe)... Don't know if I am being clear...
I know this thread could be biased depending on the dogs you've had, but any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
I would suggest an Airedale from a quality breeder. Faithful, good with all kids, can fight and fight well when required, calm but alert in most situations, moderate food intake. Needs a reasonable amount of attention as is very family oriented.

·
531 Posts
Most of what I've looked into, German Shepherd is the very popular choice. They're extremely loyal, very protective and based on the families I know that've had them, they're good with children.

I currently have a Siberian Husky. I love her to death, but they're terrible in the way of guard dogs. They're far too people friendly. If someone broke in and I wasn't here, she'd probably show them where the good stuff was. They're also 'nomads'. Meaning if you take them off the leash, they're probably gone for good. They like to roam and are very independent. They also do not have a good sense of danger, so if they get into traffic, they really don't get that it's bad and will stand there and likely get hit.

I love Huskies and Malamutes (virtually the same thing, just larger. many traits are the same between breeds), but insofar as a 'survival dog' I can't imagine either of them working out well.

If she passes on before TSHTF. I'll likely get a German Shepherd. I may get one before that time depending on finances. But, it'd be hard to have 2 dogs right now.

Here:

German Shepherds

German Shepherds are herding dogs (as their name implies). Their historic role was that of watchdog and guard dog. They are strong, alert, very intelligent, fearless, and loyal. German Shepherds are great for companionship, for a role as a working dog (guide dog or law enforcement, for instance), or guardian. These are fairly large dogs that require adequate space and exercise.

This is not the best dog for someone with a shy, hesitant personality. This is not the dog for a home that has limited space or no enclosed yard.

These dogs are great for the person with an active lifestyle. They are great running companions.

They are loyal, protective family dogs that are patient with the pokes and prods of small children, provided the dog is properly trained. Of course, no small child should ever be left unattended with the family pet.

Because German Shepherds have such a strong, resolute personality, you should have an equally assertive approach.

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/27/earlyshow/contributors/debbyeturner/main691213.shtml

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say I had never thought of Airedale terriers, but they do seem to be good all-around dogs. They also seem to be hard to keep clean though :p
Regarding Mk-9, I know what you're talking about, had one Siberian Husky and was the most loving animal I had, but not so much of a guardian dog, only heard him bark two times in his lifetime:S
On the other hand German Shepherds do seem to be a good option, had also one but never used it as a hunting/outdoors dog, so im a bit skeptical in this area...

·
Registered
880 Posts
There's nothing more intelligent, protective and loyal than a wolf hybrid. They do require a lot of time & interaction to keep the strong family bond, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 2 German Shepards. I would not own any other dog. I have very young children and rabbits and chickens. I have never had a problem. The deal is you need to show the dogs who is the boss. Never let them try you. As a matter of fact, my friends and family are amazed at how well behaved they are even when the kids pull on them. MK-9 is right. You definitley cannot be timid or afraid of your dog. I think that pretty much applies to all breeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My uncle had two German Shepards, they were great dogs, but as they started to get a little older they had severe hip problems, which I came to learn is fairly common, they got so bad he had Wolfy & Brutis put to sleep, then creamated and put them on a shelf, which seemed a little obsessive to me.

I would choose a breed that could live outside in your local weather year round. Go to the library and pick out a dog breed book and read up before making a decision.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
I would choose a breed that could live outside in your local weather year round. Go to the library and pick out a dog breed book and read up before making a decision.
That's what I was thinking. I love my doberman but I could see how they would have a hard time in cold weather depending on where you live.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I live in Mexico hehe, so temperatures don't tend to be so extreme (well, maybe extremely hot hehe)... Where I live the temperature varies from 8°C at winter to 38°C at summer, so a very hairy dog could be having a bad time!
I hope someday I can buy a ranch near the mountains where temperatures vary from -3°C to 25°C, with an average of 17°C which seems perfectly comfortable for me.. but that's just a dream for the moment :p

Anyway, thanks for your imput, has anyone any experience with argentine dogos?
they seem to have an agressive reputation, but for what i've found in the web they do seem good dogs, and excelent hunters...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha nice!
I had a rottweiler about 3 years ago, at that time NO one dared to enter my house, eventhough she was the most playful and loyal dog i've met... unfortunately she made too much of a disaster to the garden so my parents gave her away (she was just 7-8 months old)... could be looking for another one though... but they do tend to have several illnesses* don't they?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 4 dogs, a German Shep/Lab mix (4 yrs old)that I would highly recommend. He's about 80 lbs, friendly to children, goofy and a water dog from the Lab, but quite protective, especially of me from the German Shep. Believe me, NO ONE messes with me when I walk him except the children who love him. I also have an old female Collie, a full blood Siberian (2 1/2 yr) and a Siberian (maybe white shepherd) mix puppy (7 mo). Anyway I think one way a Siberian can be a good survival dog is if you live up north. I have just begun learning dryland sledding but if I lived somewhere where it snows a lot more, I'd be doing some serious dog sledding in the snow. The GSD mix and the 2 yr old Sibe are both learning to pull. Between the 2 of them, they can pull a couple hundred lbs once conditioned properly. They can be quite useful in helping by pulling a cart with supplies, too. They also have their own backpacks which they carry their water and food in when we hike. But MK-9 is right. Sibes must be on leash at all times.

My 2 cents.

Just to add. a male Collie is a WONDERFUL dog. Great with kids, and some can be quite protective of their family. They won't attack but they will let you know if something is around. Well bred working Collies guard flocks of sheep. A family becomes that to this dog. If you don't like all the hair, there is a smooth coat. All the qualities, none of the grooming.

Thanks!
C

Suggestion on the German Sheps. GREAT dogs but if you go with one, get a good one out of German stock, not an American bred. They don't have the sloppy hip problems like the Americans do and none of those low hips with their hocks almost on the ground. And you must be a strong pack leader. They won't respect just anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
If you can afford to feed a rott I would get a rott. My rott at 15-18 weeks was starting to get protective and now at 16 months is one of the most protective and kid friendly dog I've ever had. I live in a neighborhood with alot of dogs and I've only seen one dog anywhere close to as alpha as my dog and that was a large mastiff.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Best dog for a survivalist?
How about one you would not mind eating if it came down to it ? :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meh don't gray my day madcritter!
JK hehe... lets just hope the dogs provides more wealth than burden... guess it would depend on how desperate you are... but it would take an extreme situation for me to consider eating an almost-child of mine... in that case maybe the biggest dog would serve the best!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to agree that a German Shepard is by far the best dog for the survivalist. Only pure breeds have hip problems (and sometimes eye problems) later on in life but this is not absolute and not every dog gets them. plys good care can prevent those problems for most of the dogs life if not all together.

Other Good Breeds include
1. Boxer (short haired, smart, make great guard dogs, very athletic)
2. Doberman Pinscher (also short haired, Energetic, watchful, determined, alert, fearless, loyal and obedient)
3.Belgian Malinois (strong, agile, confident, protective)
4. American Pit Bull Terrier (strong willed, obedient, loyal, athletic)
5. Rottweiler (confident, strong, alert, good companion, energetic, quick learners)

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I've got a part Lab/ part Pit Bull and she is highly intelligent, great for hunting/retreiving, highly motivated, excellent health, and protective. I wouldn't trade her for Lassie.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
So you are asking for a super dog, one with special skills in all areas. Good with kids, guard dog, good hunter. There are very few breeds who really do all that. Dogs are usually bread for one type of work, either hunter or... You get the picture. Like a lab, they can hunt well (if having the righ genes and training), and the German Shepherd, they are bread not to hurt animals (unless intruders) because they are shepherds...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did commented on my post that a dog with what I wanted wouldn't exist, I only wanted to know which was the best all-around dog for an outdoors man who might also be in need for protection, for example german shepherds might not be good hunters but they might hunt rabbits even though that's not what they do the best... a beagle may be an excelent hunter but won't be protective at all... you get the idea...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Find a dog that fits you. Dogs are like guns in that they need to fit you. If you are not comfortable with them it is all wrong. I have rescue dogs these days. i used to raise Labs and Goldens. My current dog is a Golden Australian Sheppard mix. She is 3/4 Golden and 1/4 Sheppard. She is great dog and is great with kids. If you have kids stick with the non biting breeds. Kids can punch her in the face and she will love them to death. Let someone threaten the kids and she will give up her life for them.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts