Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am happy to say that our food storage plans are coming along well. Hubby is a saint to put up with my buying, and it is actually getting organized in many areas. :)

This makes it easier to see any missing or weak areas much more clearly. One of our weak areas is cooking oil / fats. I did a search on the forums to see what I could find, but I must have missed it.

Can we please discuss ideas for what to store, how to store it, and what kind of shelf life to expect?

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Looks like that with coconut oil it depends on
what kind you get, as to shelf life. Refined
has a shorter life than "Virgin". Linky

http://www.qualityfirst.on.ca/FAQ's.htm
yep, and that is what we store...virgin only.

have a bunch out in the shed...it is liquid until we bring it inside into the a/c, then solidifies.

indefinite shelf life...works for me :D:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
Coconut oil seems to be the champ of long term storage so far. And it's a healthy oil too. Canned fats last a lot longer. Think about how long tuna in oil lasts, or that can of greasy chili. I don't know what to attribute that too specifically but I have theories. I think that canning oils and fats might be the way to go.

·
68,527 Posts
yep, and that is what we store...virgin only.

have a bunch out in the shed...it is liquid until we bring it inside into the a/c, then solidifies.

indefinite shelf life...works for me :D:
No fat has an indefinate shelf life. It will go rancid sooner or later. The better ones last longer, but they are still limited in shelf life.

·
68,527 Posts
Crisco. Really bad for you, but will keep forever so long as the can is sealed. (maybe not forever, but a looong time).

If you have room in your freezer, any oil will store indefinitely. It will just gel up when frozen.
Crisco lasts a fair amount of time. It was my first storage fat. But it will go bad in the can after a few years too. It'll probably last longer in a cool storage climate.

The only true long term fat prep is making it yourself. Either from rendering animal fat, or from growing oil crops and pressing them. Since oil crops are easy to grow and oil presses are not that expensive, it just makes sense to prep for the long term that way. Or raise animals. Or preferably both.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts

·
68,527 Posts
Commercially-canned Ghee (clarified butter) will last 10-15 years.

This is the kind I'm referring to:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/red_feather_canned_butter_new_zealand.aspx#ghee

If you are patient, you can find it on sale. I bought some in early may from Emergency Essentials for $7.99/can.
It sure is an expensive alternative when you consider that the average bean/grain or dehydrated/freeze dried based year supply has a recommendation for 4 gallons of fats per person per year. Currently most of us get fats in our diet so using 4 gallons per year is hard to imagine. But that's how much is required to keep a healthy fat balance since beans/grains and dehydrated/freeze dried foods contain none. Of course storing canned meats with fats reduces that somewhat. Of course coconut oil is expensive too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts