Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I would like to add a small bottle of bleach to a bob and am wondering what would be the best kind of container to put it in. I was thinking some sort of 8 oz glass bottle, like one from a juice bottle. Would the bleach interact with the metal top? Can bleach be stored in a plastic bottle long term, I know they come in a plastic bottle....any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
I keep some bleach in my BOB for water purification. I put it in a cough syrup bottle. I think it was a Vick's Formula 44 bottle made of glass with a black plastic top. I just shove it into one of my folded casualty blankets to keep it protected from breakage. You can also find alot of Aftershave bottles that are glass with a plastic top, like Aqua Velva and such. I would wash it out very well, and let it air out in the sun. Otherwise, your bleach might add a new aqua velva flavor to your water.:eek:

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(QUOTE)"Can bleach be stored in a plastic bottle long term"?

NO, bleach can't be stored long term, period. It goes bad after a relatively short time, a few months I believe. There are various tablets that hold up and work well, polar-pure and something from MSR to name a couple.
You could also get the solid chlorine sold at pool supply companies. Apparantly that doesn't have the same limited shelf life as liquid bleach. I've been meaning to check this out myself,maybe tomorrow.....;)

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Maybe one of those ones with the eye dropper built into the cap.

Because bleach deteriorates so quickly I use 2% tincture of iodine in my BOB instead. I buy a 2oz bottle and an eye dropper.

In my EDC Altoids tin I use an empty plastic glucose "control solution" bottle to store 1/4oz or so (any diabetic should have these little bottles, the stuff expires.) This one is in my pocket nearly 24/7...

Allan

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Try the shock chlorinators they sell at pool supplies. Just make sure it is just chlorine and not additives. The dry stuff will last longer than liquids.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Rather than bleaching a spot in your gear with a bleach leak, find someone with a swimming pool and have them knock a tiny chip from one of their pool chlorine tablets (its the same chemical in bleach) and tightly enclose that for your pack. Even a tiny chunk would treat a whole LOT of water.

I would not use iodine personally, as it is pretty hazardous to your body, read the warning on Iodine water purification tablets. Also note that iodine water tablets, come with a warning that it wont kill all the bugs in the water. Several years ago there were some test reports posted on line, stating that iodine took something like 12 hours to kill 99 percent of the critters in the water. It would be pretty difficult to be thirsty and have to wait that long before drinking.

Hmmm, how about just boiling, ha.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Bizarro, our brain-waves must be on the same channel, ha.
Like they say, "great minds think alike".

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Rather than bleaching a spot in your gear with a bleach leak, find someone with a swimming pool and have them knock a tiny chip from one of their pool chlorine tablets (its the same chemical in bleach) and tightly enclose that for your pack. Even a tiny chunk would treat a whole LOT of water...
The problem with that is the standard Pool Chlorine tablets are NOT just sodium hypochlorite (the stuff in laundry bleach). It also contains stabilizers that are heavy metal. There are chlorine tablets out there that do not contain the stabilizers (Pit Tabs is one brand name). They can be used, but the standard 1" or 3" pool tablets are a no-no for drinking water purification...

I had some bacteria in my well a few years back and had to treat my well water with chlorine. I used the Pittabs for awhile and switched over to a pump that used liquid pool chlorine instead. All the experts, professionals who do this everyday, I talked to advised against using the pool tablets.

Allan - Note the 98.3% active ingredient in my pool chlorinating tablets is "trichloro-s-triazinetrione", whatever that is... laundry bleach is sodium hypochlorite and pool shock, the powder, is calcium hypochlorite...

I'll stick with the iodine thanks...

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(QUOTE)" Bizarro, our brain-waves must be on the same channel, ha.
Like they say, "great minds think alike".

What am I, chopped liver? :D: I was way ahead of both of you, post # 3.....
(QUOTE) "You could also get the solid chlorine sold at pool supply companies...."

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No we just forgot to put on our tinfoil hats today:D:
I have heard some of the powdered "shock" not the tablets, do not have the nasty extra chemicals. I have not checked it out yet so don't know 1st hand for sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put some bleach in each one of my BOBs in a small 8oz plastic bottle (the kind sold to use to get past TSA ) and then put the bleach bottle inside a cleaned out empty plastic seasoning bottle. Within 6 months, the bleach ate through the plastic cap on bottle one...then evaporated in bottle 2 leaving only small pieces of crystalized chlorine.

This flaw was discovered during a family bug out drill.

Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Whatever container you use, please label it accordingly. I know it sounds stupid, but it could save somebodys ass.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Visine bottle. Straw with ends melted, for extra protection, a straw within a straw. Really though, I would just store a bottle of water tabs not bleach.

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
Learn to use potassium permanganate instead.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts