Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Please help me out. I'm looking for a knife with similar features to the above (fixed blade, utility/combat, affordable) models. What else is available out there as viable alternative options? The punch that comes on the Gerber is a selling point for me, as one of the things I intend to use the knife for is rescue situations (but not exclusively - it must be usable for combat).

Kind regards,

Indomitable

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an ESEE 3MIL, which is a nice fixed blade, great steel, unconditional lifetime warranty, and a glass breaker pommel. I'd check that one out. Got it for just under $100, shipped.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Condor. Buy two or three for same price of one of those you mentioned. See if you can break them.

http://www.condortk.com/

- OS
And if he does break them in combat, what do you suppose he do...send an unsatisfied email to the company from beyond the grave? I hear heaven has PCs and Hell has Macs.

What else are you looking for in this knife, just similar specs to the srk but with a pommel? If you can spend some money Id go for an Esee that is the right size for you. Or check out the Falkniven S1 and A1, although those are a bit more then an SRK, but can you really put a price on your life? Maybe check out the SOG seal pup elite as well. Kabars may fit your needs just fine, been proven for decades. But no one can deny their downfall is that rat tail tang, no where near as strong as beefier tang.

Btw, check out the Esee izula, makes for a great back up knife.

·
Registered
67 Posts
And if he does break them in combat, what do you suppose he do...send an unsatisfied email to the company from beyond the grave? I hear heaven has PCs and Hell has Macs.

What else are you looking for in this knife, just similar specs to the srk but with a pommel? If you can spend some money Id go for an Esee that is the right size for you. Or check out the Falkniven S1 and A1, although those are a bit more then an SRK, but can you really put a price on your life? Maybe check out the SOG seal pup elite as well. Kabars may fit your needs just fine, been proven for decades. But no one can deny their downfall is that rat tail tang, no where near as strong as beefier tang.

Btw, check out the Esee izula, makes for a great back up knife.
Are you saying that cold steel, kabars, esee are tougher than condor blades? Just because condor knives are less expensive and don't carry a bunch of hype does not mean that they are not quality tools. I'm pretty sure a 15 dollar chi com blade from cheaper than dirt beat out many more expensive knives including the kabar and the srk on that knife destruction test website.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
Are you saying that cold steel, kabars, esee are tougher than condor blades? Just because condor knives are less expensive and don't carry a bunch of hype does not mean that they are not quality tools. I'm pretty sure a 15 dollar chi com blade from cheaper than dirt beat out many more expensive knives including the kabar and the srk on that knife destruction test website.
umm ya, no. You are wrong. I like condor blades, good stuff. but you are wrong about the $15 chinese knife being as good as the others. That said, I hate cold steal, gerber.

Go ka-bar or esee imo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sorry, I did not mean to say that they as good as the others. The ergonomics, fit and finish are far inferior. They did beat them out in terms of durability though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In fact i did not say that the chi com blade was better. I said it beat out the other more popular/expensive blades.

·
Registered
972 Posts
In fact i did not say that the chi com blade was better. I said it beat out the other more popular/expensive blades.
Well if knives were designed to chop through cinder blocks then I guess it would be better. Sorry, but I just dont hold those destruction tests with much high regard.

And no, I was not saying just because they are cheap means those others are better, but usually with a cheaper blade it is lacking in something, so in some way a more expensive blade has something better. But no, Oh Shoot said buy a condor because you can get three of them and see if you can break them. That tells me nothing about whats most important about a knife. Hows the blade steel, hows its resistance to the elements, how is its edge retention, how easy is it to sharpen, can you put a razor edge on it, hows the handle ergonomics, hows the balance, hows the weight? Thats what matters about a knife. If he said "Oh get a condor such and such, good steel, holds an edge, well balanced and wont break the bank," then I wouldnt of said anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I see the knife rivalry runs deep... ;)

I'd love to be able to carry a knife for every occasion. A push dagger, a throwing knife, a cooking knife, a combat knife, a hatchet, a multi-tool, etc... But it's just not feasible - sigh! Although I'll try when I can. :)

Working in a police environment saturated with edged weapon attacks, a knife is a handy backup when for some reason my firearm is out of action (it happens). I've trained a fair bit in blade conflict and find that a long blade gives immense advantage. But my most common need for a knife is as a backup tool for rescue situations such a vehicle wreckages. And I also spend a lot of time outdoors when I can - so it needs 'survival' properties.

That's why I'm attracted to the Gerber - between that and a decent multi-tool most of my needs would be taken care of. Just want to double check I'm not missing out on a better option somewhere. Most of the debate I've seen comes down to personal choice (serrated or flat, grip, etc), but otherwise it seems highly recommended. And strong. Strong is good.

Anyway, keep the advice coming. I'm looking at making the purchase within the next month or so, so maybe my mind will change. Much appreciated.

Stay safe out there.

PS, the SOG Ultima? Looks good...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, I did look at the Esee online and will try find a local supplier - thanks for that recommendation. The Condors look good, but don't seem to have quite the design I'm looking for. Are they in any way linked to the Condor that manufactures tactical gear?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I see the knife rivalry runs deep... ;)

I'd love to be able to carry a knife for every occasion. A push dagger, a throwing knife, a cooking knife, a combat knife, a hatchet, a multi-tool, etc... But it's just not feasible - sigh! Although I'll try when I can. :)

Working in a police environment saturated with edged weapon attacks, a knife is a handy backup when for some reason my firearm is out of action (it happens). I've trained a fair bit in blade conflict and find that a long blade gives immense advantage. But my most common need for a knife is as a backup tool for rescue situations such a vehicle wreckages. And I also spend a lot of time outdoors when I can - so it needs 'survival' properties.

That's why I'm attracted to the Gerber - between that and a decent multi-tool most of my needs would be taken care of. Just want to double check I'm not missing out on a better option somewhere. Most of the debate I've seen comes down to personal choice (serrated or flat, grip, etc), but otherwise it seems highly recommended. And strong. Strong is good.

Anyway, keep the advice coming. I'm looking at making the purchase within the next month or so, so maybe my mind will change. Much appreciated.

Stay safe out there.

PS, the SOG Ultima? Looks good...
If you dont mind me asking what is your profession? This might help us recommend other knives to you. Do you have a backup folder? Something like the sypderco police or military maybe? Also want to mention something about the gerber lmf. The knife and sheath combo is on the heavy side, which may have an impact on your decision. Camping its whatever, but if you plan on using this for a duty blade and are going to have it on you, I know id want something that is not too heavy. And again I dont know what your dutys are but effective concealment may be important as well.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
... But no, Oh Shoot said buy a condor because you can get three of them and see if you can break them. That tells me nothing about whats most important about a knife. Hows the blade steel, hows its resistance to the elements, how is its edge retention, how easy is it to sharpen, can you put a razor edge on it, hows the handle ergonomics, hows the balance, hows the weight? Thats what matters about a knife. If he said "Oh get a condor such and such, good steel, holds an edge, well balanced and wont break the bank," then I wouldnt of said anything.
Get a condor of your choice, good steel, holds an edge, well balanced, and won't break the bank. :)

Seriously, I see no reason the Rodan is not the practical equal of BK2, the Varan same compared with BK7 or BK9 (it's in the middle with 8" blade), etc. My "see if you can break them" was a tongue in cheek remark to suggest they are indeed robust.

Though I haven't yet put them through the paces, they've been around long enough now with enough good reviews to trust them.

If you need more of a fighter, there are plenty of other Condor models to choose from also.

- OS

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
There are many ways you can go about your carry setup. As I mentioned in another thread, there is no such thing as an "everything" knife. Going by what you have told us so far on here, looks like you can benefit from a compact fixed blade that can help you in self defense and at the same time be a great companion in a survival situation. I think ESEE 4 is your blade of choice. It's a one time $110-$125 but it will take you through the paces and is built like a tank. And if you so happen to destroy it using a depleted uranium sabot round fired at point blank range, ESEE will replace it for you with no questions asked.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts