Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the gun shows here today I saw.

Romanian AK47
Polish Polish Folder
Hungarian Folder AMD-65

What is the best?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
depends on how picky you are...

Once they pass the "function check" it really doesn't matter, probably the only ak I'd be wary of is a "kit" put together by an "unknown"...

People will always trash Century...blah blah blah...never had an issue with one and I own a few of them...

Fit and finish may belong to the polish but any of them will be fine.

The AMD is very light for it's size...

Romanians are everywhere....

outside of what you listed...people seem to love Arsenal...

Saiga's are very nice...so are Vepr's which are made of "onobtanium" but you do see one or two on occasion....

Did I mention Norinco's?...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ditto on the Norinco Mak90. They are a little heavier as the receiver is a little thicker than most other AKs.

Keep your eye out for a straight cut receiver so you can swap out the sporter stock for other furniture variations.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I own an TGI assembled FEG receivered AMD 65 and i love it. Its lighter, more compact and handier than any AK i have handled. The brake really tames recoil and keeps you on target. Its a sweet rifle.

Plus you can get cheekweld by ordering a riser from amd65tech.com

Its as light as a barebones AR15. Im never selling my AMD65 and will probably buy another one.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Do Siaga rifles Bulgarian AK47 30-rd mags?
not stock saigas. You cannot legally add a hicap mag of any origin to a sporter configured saiga rifle. You must replace parts to come into 922r compliance, and thats one reason so many people convert. Replacing the stock with a US made stock and using a US made magazine counts, thats why you see people with the tapco collapsibles and the surefire saiga magazines.

In order to run the bulgarian magazines in a saiga, you will have to add a bullet guide(see dinzagarms.com or carolinashooterssupply.com). You will also have to file the magazine catch down slightly where the magazine tab locks in on the gun.

I have a converted saiga in which I run bulgarian mags mostly. I also have an unconverted with tapco stock that I run US made surefires in. My US surefires still work in my saiga converted with the bullet guide too.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
This seems to be the best deal going feature/built to dollar wise.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx

Trying to compare AKs is just insane. Most are built on military parts kits on u.s receivers. Nobody seems to know just exactly is in a particular brand.

I am going to buy another saiga and convert it when they get back in stock. Right now they are 350 and a little over 100 for a minimum rebuild. I KNOW the receiver and barrel and parts are new straight from the plant in Mother Russia that has been churning out AKs since day one. I like that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought an AMD because it's a Hungarian build, not a Century. I got REAMED when I purchased a Century Golani Sporter - it was the worst new firearm ever created. I could never buy anything made from Century again.
My AMD has a chromed barrel, Tapco trigger (which is great), a good fit/finish and is short and handy as Hell. However, it's been too snowy to go to the range. If the AMD jams and keyholes like the Golani, I will really be ****ed.
At least my Mini-14 is flawless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't understand? Why would you want a AK47 when you can have a AR15. I have shot one AK and it was a lot of fun, but I will stick to the AR. For sure the AR will out shoot the AK at 200 yards.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Another one for the TGI AMD-65,
Weighed the rifle and if I remember correctly it was around 7.5lbs unloaded. The muzzle break works great, even with the light weight felt recoil is less that my friends Romanian century. The only problem I had was after about 100 rounds the muzzle brake weld broke (very poor job on the installation) tried to call and email TGI; NO RESPONSE! Ended up having to weld it myself and then re-finish the barrel.
Except for the brake it is well put together; the finish (whatever it is) has held up, and is as accurate as most longer barreled AK's.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts