Survivalist Forum banner

301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
survikingvalist
61 Posts
I spent a couple of years doing kali sikaran, so i've had a little bit of knife training, but i'd still not get into a knife fight.
I'd rather get the guy to a safe distance with a push kick and gtfo.

If i did HAVE TO get into a knife fight i think something like a kabar design would be good for my personal fighting style because i prefer to mix high speed stabbing and slashing motions to get the blade moving as much as possible between me and my opponent.
If a large fixed blade knife isn't available the little toothpick on a leatherman or victorinox still would suck to be poked or cut with though.
If it's sharp and pointy it can get the job done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
a good knife?

I get a laugh from opinions on a "good knife", and those that criticize owners of high end custom knives. Some previous poster said it best. A $7 piece of junk kills as well as a $100 Benchmade. But a Timex tell the time just as good as a Rolex, or a $10 Walmart special. But I like Rolex. I looks good, and is high quality.

Knives are personal things. We carry them everywhere. If you really like knives, like I do, why not carry the nicest one you can afford? If self defence is the only reason, then carry a gun and the $7.00 POS.

I like Microtech or Protech autos for daily carry. Mostly because they are engineering artwork, but also very functional. And I have a CCW so a switchblade is no issue in my state. If I was to carry a fixed fighter I would carry one of my brother's customs. He has been making hand forged knives for 20 years and is quite the smith, and he makes them exactly how his customers want them. I also have a Chris Reeve Nkonka and a MT Crosshair that I like a lot. I carry a Cold Steel Kukri when I am camping in the woods.

As far as self defense goes, I carry an HK P7m8 or a 1911. The knife is a very last ditch "get the **** off me" weapon in case I am stuck wrestling or ground fighting. I don't think movie style knife fights are real, unless you live in an area where you can't carry a gun. And most of the knife martial arts such as FMA are from cultures that did not regularly carry firearms. Training cycles are much better spent at the range, or MMA gym. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love the KaBar and have another on the way as another posted, but here is the real answer from someone who's using one daily...

read between the lines and it sounds a LOT like what can "YOU" do with a knife if it's in your hands? ANY KNIFE? I personally keep a small leatherman juice tool on me at all times, and you know what, I'm not pulling out the blade to go after someone because I'm better off having it in my hand adding mass to my throws.

IF I were to use any of the tools on that, it would be the corkscrew, not any of the cutting blades. I'm already at the "up close and personal" level, why not put the extra "love" into a punch with a corkscrew between a couple fingers?

Now, if someone has a fighting knife and knows how to use it, they will cut you to shreds... but that's not an easy skill to learn and it's got a lot of points of failure, for example as soon as you start using it, someone is bleeding, you or the other guy, either way, someone is bleeding, and you're sweating.. and now it's hard to hold onto!!!

What are the chances that on this board, dedicated to survival, that ANYONE, will ever lose a knife fight because they bought the 14 dollar special at the gun show instead of the 300 dollar Buck or [insert favorite maker name here]?

ZERO. If you're close enough to kill them with a knife, you're probably close enough to kill them with a heavy stone or a sharp stick, and in either case it doesnt have to be a weapon that costs hundreds of dollars.

As a matter of fact, when it comes to knife fighting, you're probably better off knowing a lot more about martial arts and open hand fighting against an opponent relying on one to win.

Now if you are fighting Rambo or whatever, then forget it, but the point is... why pour $500 worth of worry into a 5 dollar hole?

Is there any recommended place in the US to learn how to use a fighting knife ? And do you know where I can find a WW2 Kabar knife online ? I have tried ebay but everything seems overpriced for original WW2 knives.

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
I love the KaBar and have another on the way as another posted, but here is the real answer from someone who's using one daily...

read between the lines and it sounds a LOT like what can "YOU" do with a knife if it's in your hands? ANY KNIFE? I personally keep a small leatherman juice tool on me at all times, and you know what, I'm not pulling out the blade to go after someone because I'm better off having it in my hand adding mass to my throws.

IF I were to use any of the tools on that, it would be the corkscrew, not any of the cutting blades. I'm already at the "up close and personal" level, why not put the extra "love" into a punch with a corkscrew between a couple fingers?

Now, if someone has a fighting knife and knows how to use it, they will cut you to shreds... but that's not an easy skill to learn and it's got a lot of points of failure, for example as soon as you start using it, someone is bleeding, you or the other guy, either way, someone is bleeding, and you're sweating.. and now it's hard to hold onto!!!

What are the chances that on this board, dedicated to survival, that ANYONE, will ever lose a knife fight because they bought the 14 dollar special at the gun show instead of the 300 dollar Buck or [insert favorite maker name here]?

ZERO. If you're close enough to kill them with a knife, you're probably close enough to kill them with a heavy stone or a sharp stick, and in either case it doesnt have to be a weapon that costs hundreds of dollars.

As a matter of fact, when it comes to knife fighting, you're probably better off knowing a lot more about martial arts and open hand fighting against an opponent relying on one to win.

Now if you are fighting Rambo or whatever, then forget it, but the point is... why pour $500 worth of worry into a 5 dollar hole?

Is there any recommended place in the US to learn how to use a fighting knife ? And do you know where I can find a WW2 Kabar knife online ? I have tried ebay but everything seems overpriced for original WW2 knives.
Dog brothers because they at least train realistically.

They get out there and at least wave knives at each other.

https://youtu.be/EUewiJ_CFds

Otherwise you get a lot of this kind of stuff.

https://youtu.be/vi7TPa1eQ8w

But fighting really happens too quickly for that kind of thing generally.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I remember a story of a Marine in Viet Nam that killed a pile of VC in a battle on some hill. 4 or 5 with his Ka-Bar . It sold me. I have a pile of others but always have the Ka-bar.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Be aware that combat with a short blade against a short blade you will quite likely be cut.

If you wish to develop your skills then betake yourself to a valid Kali/Escrima/Arnis school and learn the basics........Cabales Serrada, Lameco ( Edgar Sulite) ,Ilustrimo Kali (the foundation behind many more modern Escrima systems) Largo el Mano , Doce Pares( Cacoy Canete) , Pekiti Tirsia Kali, the stuff From John Lacoste , Leo Giron (Bahala Na) , Ben Largusa and other Bay Area and Stockton folks I could mention.

Get the angles down along with the stick work , it all transfers directly to the short blade.

Be aware that there are a hundred or more different systems , most all utilise the same 12 angles.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
I like the longer, "clean" blades for that roll. You get a bit more "internal" reach with them.

Never understood why they insist on putting serrations on the blades of those type knives.

These are about a 3:1 cost wise vs the Eichorns, but they are the originals and inspiration. Been carrying one of these for a number of years now in place of my old Gerbers. :)

Ive used all of these at some point, and sometimes together. I wouldnt go any shorter than the MKI's now though.

The MKII's are still my favorites, but have become to collectable and hard to find to replace. So the issue Brit Commandos have taken their place.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Ben Lilly was a well known hunter. He liked a double edge knife for bear. If I remember correctly he made them himself. A high carbon double edge knife has it's advantages. I'm too old to do hand to hand. I have a pistol and a viking hand axe for this. It is hard to argue with Ben Lilly's choice as he is a real person and actually used his knife to kill bears, not one but many. After reading about him, he was as crazy as a loon but that does not negate his hunting experiences.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ben Lilly was a well known hunter. He liked a double edge knife for bear. If I remember correctly he made them himself. A high carbon double edge knife has it's advantages. I'm too old to do hand to hand. I have a pistol and a viking hand axe for this. It is hard to argue with Ben Lilly's choice as he is a real person and actually used his knife to kill bears, not one but many. After reading about him, he was as crazy as a loon but that does not negate his hunting experiences.

A Legend to houndsmen , Southerners and Bear and Big Cat hunters. If you are ever down that way visit his Memorial in the Gila National Forest , in that region of New Mexico his name is still spoken with a great deal of reverence and respect.

http://www.rubtree.com/predatorhunter

http://www.americanhoundsmen.com/lilly.html

http://www.louisianavoices.org/Unit5/edu_ss147_ben_lilly_strong.html

·
Registered
737 Posts
The thing to keep In mind is the sharpness nearing the tip makes a big difference, because only that sharpness allows you past the clothing and flexible outer body layers, and once in, only the tip can really move sideway and do lateral cutting inside. Because of geometry, most knives, as delivered, are dull and get even duller near the tip. Thick clothing will defeat or impede many knives as they come from the box. I had a new Randall Model 14 that, as delivered new in factory wrapper, could literally be used for sheathless sparring practice. And yet it was quite thin edged further back from the point...

This tip dullness is so ingrained in the geometry of most fixed blades, even customs in the thousands usually need a full professional regrind straight from the box, emphasizing the tip, to have any chance of not pushing the arteries away when slicing. A proper fighting knife grind should be at most a 17 dps edge all the way to the tip (15 better) but the pointier a knife is, in profile, the harder it is to achieve this without fragility: It is a matter of eyeballing and personal judgement what loss of strength vs pointiness vs sharpness is acceptable. As a rule, the broader the tip the thinner the edge base.

Reach on knives is always short for someone who doesn’t understand how to use them, which is why the other hand is often used to pull within range, and that pulling hand then often gets stabbed by its owner(!): Cops ALWAYS check the hands of suspected stabbers, as they often cut themselves during the pull back... A figure I heard is 70% of knife attackers at least slightly injure themselves.

The thing few people understand about combat knife use (outside of prisons) is that the optimal knife range is body to body contact: If you are snuggling up against somebody, you are obstructing their view of the knife, while doubling your angles of attack, which can now come from both the REAR as well as the front... This is why an unarmed defense against a knife is virtually impossible, if the knife wielder knows enough to snuggle up.

You might think you can prevent someone from snuggling up by stabbing, but really the initiator can present his body sideways so that all you have is his bony back and blocking elbow. Empty handed there is really nothing you can do to prevent someone from snuggling up except running away at full speed, which is why knives, outside their usual point dullness and user ignorance, are scarier weapons than most think.

G.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
IT LIVES!!!!!
Another old thread brought out of mothballs, by a first time poster no less...LOL
I like and have a couple of Ka Bars and other than a custom Pugio made from the leaf spring of a WW2 Jeep, I really don't have much in the way of fighting (combat) knives.
I do like the ESEE line of knives as they are geared more towards survival...

301 - 320 of 328 Posts