Survivalist Forum banner

281 - 300 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I know a bunch of people always ask "What's the best survival knife", so I am here to ask something different! :D:

What, in all of your opinions, are some of the best knives to be used only for combat? Preferably fixed blade.

Just looking to hear some opinions, thanks guys!
Fixed: Fake JIN-S-HPC

Folding: ROCKSTEAD SHIN DLC

But probably to expensive for you.

Carbon can be used as a combat knife only in emergency. It is too heavy.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Fixed: Fake JIN-S-HPC

Folding: ROCKSTEAD SHIN DLC

But probably to expensive for you.

Carbon can be used as a combat knife only in emergency. It is too heavy.
What the Hell are you talking about?
Carbon (CS) only in an emergency? It's too heavy?

Stainless (SS) didn't really become popular until it was able to be produced cheaply enough and that wasn't until "around" the time of the Vietnam War.

NO and I'm not saying it wasn't invented until then but it wasn't available to the makers cheaply enough so they could make thick bladed knives out of it...Look at the spine of a 10" chef's knife compared to a 7" USMC Nbr 1 Fighting knife.

Sure there were lots of makers out there using it but the consumer was certainly paying for it...In 1969 I bought a Puma 6" White Hunter SS knife for $65 and a full custom CS Randle #12-8" Bear Bowie for $90.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a randall king desert enforcer and, having absolutely no combat or martial fighting experiance but just from a purely imaginative /what if-opinion, I think it would make for an excellent combat/fighting knife. Its quite light with a s30v steel blade that is scary sharp. Its a full tang with G10 dimpled scales, a pointy tanto style tipped narrower blade(compared to CS tantos). It lacks a guard but has a good forward finger groove. Oh, the actual blade is just shy of 5 inches, so it would be a fairly easy blade to carry concealed with a shirt that hangs over but that is legal in Canada. Funny the different laws really.Here anything that open auto or by gravity/centrifugal force (switch blade Balisong) are illegal, as are push daggers(not basic daggers/ double edge) or the ones in belt buckles or throwing stars(throwing knives are legal). The government basicly declares these as "weapons" whereas a typical folder of fixed is a tool and therefore is completely legal and one is free to carry as one sees fit. Sorry ,I am rambling but its interesting.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Kade888, you are an okay guy, I don't care what the girls downtown say about ya man :)

I have my grandfather's bayonet from WW2, but nothing saying where it was or did except hearing loosely connected things over fires at deer camps in the Ozarks. From my father, in Vietnam, his medals and DA 638's. My cousins have some things, of very great value to some folks in the family.

My Ka-Bar that I got when I was 18, so far has 27 months in combat and circled the globe 3 times none stop once. It's just a piece of steel, but it is a thing that was present for some good and bad things. It has never seen the news, but it was present when the news was made. If nothing else, it is a thing that was there when the very best men I have ever known where at their very best and when the greatest guys in the world were doing the right thing. When I retire, in a few years, I'll write down where my knife was and what it was present for; I'll legally will it to my oldest to do with as she sees best.

I cannot take my first Ka-Bar off my armor. Wherever I go, until my country releases me from federal service the last time, it'll be there. When I become a civilian again, it is part of the estate I'll turn over to my family. It is not worth much money, but for 2 decades it has served everywhere but Antarctica. It has opened chickens and MRE's and letters and oil cans and broke the bands off missile crates.....it has slept beside me in comfort and I've been grateful to lock it up in countries while I went home for a week....I've been happy and reluctant to see it again....it's been admired by men of many languages....it's been touched by men of every religion....it has fought in drug wars, terrorism, human trafficking, and bloodied by one very brave man doing what he thought he should do. It has cut the pants off a good man to get to his wounds and held down the corner of a VS17 panel so somebodies son's medevac bird could come in.

Her rust is black. Most of her parkerizing is thin or gone. I use a nickel and KB Blast to kill the rust, then CLP to preserve her. And I spent a week with an Arkansas stone putting a back-edge on her. Her sheath is softer than most leather jackets now; too much time soaked in salt water training or mink oiled down after desert training rotations. I've rebent her tang from throwing her into trees too many times to count. She looks funny, plain faded black, old leather and primitive steel, contrasted on state-of-the-art body armor and materials our grandfathers never dreamed of. But....she will still do anything pretty much any other knife can do.

Not many things are built like that anymore. I let my oldest daughter hold that old Ka-Bar. She held it like it was the first caveman's spear. She's just a high school kid, typical army brat...nothing is serious to them...but she weighed the translation in that thing; it's a piece of metal tempered in a lot of fires....some hot....some cold. One day I want my grandson's and granddaughters to hold that knife, like I hold my grandfather's bayonet, except I'm going to write out where it was and what it saw.

This year, for my gun belt I bought a Ka-Bar Big Brother to hang next to my Colt and my Ruger revolvers. I figure when I get really old, I'll need a bigger knife....I might end up like my old great-uncle that carried a real Bowie knife but hunted his last 5 seasons with an empty rifle. It's a damn good blade though....opens up these coastal deer and hogs just fine. A good weapon, a good tool....worth looking at....type a guy could pass down to his boy. Not enough stuff is built like that anymore....it is worth saying so when it is! My first Ka-Bar was $30....my second was $90.....I see it as a devalue in our dollar, not an increase of value in that good old carbon steel battle-proven blade. Just my very humble opinion.

Ride safe young man.

Remember, crotch rockets are for boys. Harleys are for grown men.

See you on the road
CVMA
Agreed with everything until I read this statement.. biggest load of horse**** I've ever read on a forum. :thumb:

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
Fighting knife: The knife wielders skill trumps (by far) a knife design or brand. So instead of purchasing a $200 knife, purchase a $50 knife and spend $150 on professional training.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Agreed with everything until I read this statement.. biggest load of horse**** I've ever read on a forum. :thumb:
Well, young man, we should ride together. I will show you a laid-back mode of cruising transportation that is majestic like rainbows, sunsets, and unicorn's vaginas, son.

I'm sure that you have a need for speed. And that is okay. But let me show you what it is to cruise into a boulevard in one of around 250 worldwide cities and cut that Harley engine.......you hear this sound. And you hang your helmet or move your hat.......and you hear this strange sound. And you get off your Harley.......and you cannot ignore this sound.

Let me help you park a Harley near the bar....and you can hear that odd sound.

It is faint, but it is there. You can't deny it or ignore it, son. That sound comes........like quiet thunder.

When we park them bikes, I want you to be still....and just listen....after the thunder......and absorb that odd weird sound after all those American bikes go silent.

That sound on the street is eery. It is menacing.

That sound is soft....it is dull, boy. It is evil. You gotta know what you are hearing, or you'll be afraid, young man.

That sound.....after that Harley shuts off.....

Those are panties hitting the sidewalk.

Hey, one day you'll be a big boy and some lady will let you take off her panties and she will take your virginity and all that.......even if you do ride a chainsaw or Obamacycle or whatever, young man :p

In the meantime though.....if you ever want to protect the honor of a fallen veteran in your area or want to volunteer for the Patriot Guard.....I don't care what you ride. Just contact me and we will ride side by side.

Stay cool. Ride easy. Delta

·
Registered
331 Posts
as has been posted here in this a TON of times and thanks to those that have.

STOP...do you really want a fighting knife,one designed for one purpose to kill the other guy..my question is, why.? Have you been to a few Kali class's
had a teacher of a blade system school you..? If the answer is no,then get a knife that feel good in your hand,moves quickly and buy it. Then go find a school OBSERVE a class before joining and start learning,someone who knows
knife skills will most times make it a very short fight.

i am 50 broken up now and cant really teach anymore,and only did that with right people,with the correct mind set.

It always concerns me when someone i don't know wants the best 'fighting
knife'-the one in your pocket next to your legal CCW gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just looking through an old camera and thought I'd post pics of my Marine raider bowies with custom sheaths I had made stateside.

Yeah they are heavy but by god they get the job done :thumb:

And no I don't wear both like this, the one in the shoulder rig has bands for lower back horizontal carry so I normally just wear this like that. Or I just stuff the left hand horizontal carry sheath in the front of my pants, thats actually the most comfortable method of carry. Mexican carry is frowned upon but I've always liked it :D:

I had the sheaths made like that to give me several carry options

There were 4 Cold steel Kobuns in my belt as an example in this pic. 2 tip up on my right and 2 tip down on my left

·
Is that all?
810 Posts
To be honest, I'll stick with my ESEE 4, if it's down to fighting with a knife, then I'm already out of ammo, and my tomahawk is broken. I'll take a more useful knife over one that is designed solely for killing, but too big to be practical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree with this as far as an overall survival knife. A single edge vice dual would be best, so that the blunt edge could be hit to cut wood. I own a kabar but must admit I carry the seal pup more often while hunting.

·
Registered
623 Posts
what I attached.

The moros and the christian pilipinos are still fighting today using these weapons in jungle combat.

These are my personal choice based on years of teachng knife combat... and I mean wshtf and nobody cares about knife carry ordinances or for when Im in the woods and something attacks me.

Lately I've been into designing a single edged 'shaving razor' that has rare earth magnets in the handle so that once the razor is opened the end of the metal is held open by the magnets. when closed. the blade is held closed by the same magnets.

When I run in the mornings I tend to carry a belt actuated folder. I run with an ipod and I like listening to music. I run at 6am so there usually arent any thugs around.... if there were i'd carry dual batangas.

BladeGuru
The barong is a great combat weapon that was favored by the late great escrimador Antonio Illustrisimo of the Phillippines. The Ginunting http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/philippines-force-recon-marine-ginunting/ is favored by the Recon Marines in the modern Phillippine Armed Forces.

I am half pilipino on my father's side and I practically grew up with knives. My dad carved toys from wood for me as a child and before joining the USN in '48 he was a survivor of the Japanese occupation during WW2. His bolo was the main weapon along with a BAR when he was a filipine scout. He was a master carpenter before the war and the bolo was his most used tool.

I consider any sword from the Phillippines a viable combat weapon, you can see various sword and knives here: http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/

DomC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reading through several pages of postings to this topic, I see that most (if not all) replies focus on combat knives in terms of theaters of battle. Within that context, I find many of the suggested blades appear satisfactory for their intended application. However, on the street where we are affected by laws - especially in the "People's Republic of California", many of the suggested knives would not be do-able, by my humble estimation, due to some state knife length laws. I am a HUGE fan of the Spyderco Ronin, a wharncliffe blade that is short (3 inches), light (3.3 oz), scary looking and legal in California. It would seem to me that speed is essential. Granted, it is no match for the bigger combat knives, but my potential combat region is quite different.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Concealed? Cold Steel Voyager XL and a CS Ti-lite...

On the belt? Theres so many choices. Depends on if youre a stabber or a slasher...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up one of these bad boys
http://www.tomarskabars.com/D2ExtremeFighters.html
I think the Kabar USMC knives are great as well. D2 is a great quality steel that lasts forever. Out of all the combat knives around, Kabar is one that has proven itself war after war.

Also, in a deployment, you'll need a knife that kills the enemy as well as cut up MRE boxes--and trust me, those MRE boxes are tough.

281 - 300 of 328 Posts