Survivalist Forum banner

261 - 280 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off the Ka bar is pretty lame, I own several.
US military use it because it was cheap to mass produce. The partial tang is just lazy, the steel is nice but they cheaped out on the tang.

Basically you just need a hand guard and a pommel to stop your hand slipping and a sharp edge for cutting and a point for piercing.

When I'm in Phillipines or Thailand in town I carry 2 cold steel Kobun IWB and a Marine Raider SP10 in a back sheath/rig, outta town a Bolo with a point are the choice.

Does anyone here train knife fighting? I do do several hours of Kali a week.

Most people don't understand knife fighting, you literally have to chop people up to drop their blood pressure enough to put them down. Every stab is followed by a slash and vice versa, ultimately you use all cuts and thrusts to get yourself in a position to pierce the clavicle artery or basically cut the head off.
Knife fighting isn't just about the knife, there's fists, elbows, palm shots, kicks, knees and grappling/takedowns with lots of joint breaks.

Its messy as hell and people don't go down easy. In a pool hall in the phillipines an arguement broke out, one guy left and came back with a bolo, as the other guy was about to take his shot on the pool table he chopped his hand off. Now this guy with no hand ran and they chased him. I don't doubt he got to far before they finished him off but its not that easy to do damage without real skills.

Yeah you can just shank someone 30 times with a screwdriver and that will work but it takes more time than you'd want to spend doing it.

A bowie is preferable to a dagger since you can effectively cut and stab. The kerabit is nice for close work but again limits your options. With a normal knife you can just change to a reverse grip when you get in close.

Regards price, cheaper and half decent quality is better. Since its a tool, goint to used and may need to be thrown away.

Regards length, ideally you'd have a 5inch plus primary weapon and a at least one secondary that is the same size or smaller. When blades get to about 9inches if they are heavy you have to switch from knife fighting skill sets to short sword/machete.
You can change direction with a knife easy but as it gets bigger attacks become more direct and centralised.
For example the SP10 is that heavy its basically a machete

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
kerambits are a gimick knife. You can do all sorts of clever trapping and such with them but loose out on length and size.

Put a practice knife in a persons hands and go for each other hard. See how much trapping is done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gimmick knife?
Don't get me wrong its not a primary weapon buts its difficult to be stripped of it and its a nasty weapon in the right hands. Original ones are single edged utility blades and the modern combat ones are double edged, not a bad back up if the SHTF But I'd still prefer a normal knife.

As for not being able to trap that's down to training, 98% of the martial artists I've met in my life have been sh!t. They expect that 2hours a week will be enough :eek: try 10+hrs a week minimum if you want to be a combatant..
Trapping isn't some complicated art, its just knowing body mechanics and what angles limbs are strong and weak at. You use your strong angles against their weak angles, simple :thumb:

Anyway, back to knives :D:

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Trapping is complicated at speed.And with a resisting oponant At speed you pretty much want length.
A krambit will obviously cut you but It is better suited to the hooking motions and other tricks that a martial artist will employ.

People then see all of these tricks and think a Karambit is a combat knife.

This is not a karambit but I was pressed for time and could not find a karambit one that was not completly stupid.

Sparring is of course stab and slash. This is also pretty crap sparing.

By the way do that spin thing with the ring if you do not like all of your fingers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
An original Randall R-1 if I had the money.

Randall R-1

I know Randalls are good. I have never been keen on the stacked leather washer handle. I know they are epoxy coated.
the duralumin buttcap has a screw/night that you tighten I guess. I know its a full tang, mostly.
If I got a Randall I would opt for a micarta handle.
maybe instead of the #1 I would get a #14 (without the finger grooves) since it really has a full beefy tang.
I dunno seems more solid to me.
I had a #2 that I sold a while back. I have another #2 on order (I have 1 year left) which is more tricked out. maybe not as utilitarian or as versatile as a #1 but in SHTF, I need something cool on my belt. Besides I have a few other sharp things in all my other sets of gear to fill the utilitarian role.

anyone own a Randall #1 with stacked leather handle?
I have and like the Randall #14. Mine is tool steel with the finger grips. It is a great knife.

I don't have a #1 with a leather handle, but I have several other Randalls with leather handles. None of mine with leather handles are epoxy coated. You might be mistaking the polished leather for an epoxy coating.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Heres my philosophy on a knife fight. You might kill me but you will be dead soon after. Remember "Your job is to kill me. My job is to kill you first, and i'm good".

·
Registered
235 Posts
US military use it because it was cheap to mass produce. The partial tang is just lazy, the steel is nice but they cheaped out on the tang.

Basically you just need a hand guard and a pommel to stop your hand slipping and a sharp edge for cutting and a point for piercing.

When I'm in Phillipines or Thailand in town I carry 2 cold steel Kobun IWB and a Marine Raider SP10 in a back sheath/rig, outta town a Bolo with a point are the choice.

Yes. Trained beyond nausea by Uncle Sam's favorite skydiving club.

I wonder what you mean by knife fighting. Have ever been paid to knife fight?

Most people don't understand knife fighting, you literally have to chop people up to drop their blood pressure enough to put them down. Every stab is followed by a slash and vice versa, ultimately you use all cuts and thrusts to get yourself in a position to pierce the clavicle artery or basically cut the head off.
Knife fighting isn't just about the knife, there's fists, elbows, palm shots, kicks, knees and grappling/takedowns with lots of joint breaks.

Its messy as hell and people don't go down easy. In a pool hall in the phillipines an arguement broke out, one guy left and came back with a bolo, as the other guy was about to take his shot on the pool table he chopped his hand off. Now this guy with no hand ran and they chased him. I don't doubt he got to far before they finished him off but its not that easy to do damage without real skills.

Yeah you can just shank someone 30 times with a screwdriver and that will work but it takes more time than you'd want to spend doing it.

A bowie is preferable to a dagger since you can effectively cut and stab. The kerabit is nice for close work but again limits your options. With a normal knife you can just change to a reverse grip when you get in close.

Regards price, cheaper and half decent quality is better. Since its a tool, goint to used and may need to be thrown away.

Regards length, ideally you'd have a 5inch plus primary weapon and a at least one secondary that is the same size or smaller. When blades get to about 9inches if they are heavy you have to switch from knife fighting skill sets to short sword/machete.
You can change direction with a knife easy but as it gets bigger attacks become more direct and centralised.
WTF are you talking about?

A knife is an improvised ambush weapon or a camp tool.

A primary weapon? With who? For what? Mercy!

A Ka-bar is lame? It's a carbon blade proven in world wars that doesn't need a full tang for its purpose.

Do you even know where Cold Steel has their knives outsourced to? China and India. They are stainless steel replicas.

I'll bring the bus. Please.....take me to school on whatever the hell you are talking about.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

whatever dude its obvious you have never killed anything with a bade
join the army and you might in some unlikely event get to use one when you **** up clearing the room and a guy grabs your barrel and you have to stick him in the neck

or you could hunt hogs with one or a spear for practice its a lot easier than you think

Gimmick knife?
Don't get me wrong its not a primary weapon buts its difficult to be stripped of it and its a nasty weapon in the right hands. Original ones are single edged utility blades and the modern combat ones are double edged, not a bad back up if the SHTF But I'd still prefer a normal knife.

As for not being able to trap that's down to training, 98% of the martial artists I've met in my life have been sh!t. They expect that 2hours a week will be enough :eek: try 10+hrs a week minimum if you want to be a combatant..
Trapping isn't some complicated art, its just knowing body mechanics and what angles limbs are strong and weak at. You use your strong angles against their weak angles, simple :thumb:

Anyway, back to knives :D:
and let me guess these 10 hours a week you spend minimum you have time for a job school and a healthy social life too right? or do you live in your moms basement and she pays for your lessons to get you out of the house a few hours a week while you play ninja?

Reactions: 357revolverfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spend too much time in south east asia :D:

I take it back that the ka bar is lame. Its does do the job and yes I do like the blade. I got to use the ka bar bulldozier 6.5inch the other day, that feels nice!

I can't even find an example of good knife work on youtube, only sensitivity drills. There'd be nothing to see really anyway with a decent practioner......

And yes I do have time for a healthy social life :thumb: I'm no ninja but I do wear a balaclava everyday; its under my motorbike helmet :D:

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Trapping is complicated at speed.And with a resisting oponant At speed you pretty much want length.
A krambit will obviously cut you but It is better suited to the hooking motions and other tricks that a martial artist will employ.

People then see all of these tricks and think a Karambit is a combat knife.

This is not a karambit but I was pressed for time and could not find a karambit one that was not completly stupid.
Kali Research Academy / Blade Fighting (Knife, Karambit & Machete) - YouTube

Sparring is of course stab and slash. This is also pretty crap sparing.
Knife VS Karambit Sparing - YouTube

By the way do that spin thing with the ring if you do not like all of your fingers.
You are obviously not educated in the traditional use of the krambit. It's one of the most lethal, devastating and debilitating blades on the planet.

After dabbling in Silat for the last few years, I can honestly say there is no other blade I fear more.

·
12,005 Posts
Those of you disparaging the KaBar because it has a partial Tang. That is not really true. It has a tang that goes all the way to the butt of the blade.

Having taken one apart, I can tell you the tang is plenty heavy duty enough to handle more than any knife should be handling.

·
12,005 Posts
whatever dude its obvious you have never killed anything with a bade
join the army and you might in some unlikely event get to use one when you **** up clearing the room and a guy grabs your barrel and you have to stick him in the neck

or you could hunt hogs with one or a spear for practice its a lot easier than you think

and let me guess these 10 hours a week you spend minimum you have time for a job school and a healthy social life too right? or do you live in your moms basement and she pays for your lessons to get you out of the house a few hours a week while you play ninja?
You know, anyone who is a a passionate martial artists will spend this kind of time in every week. When I was hard core, I trained 2-3 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week. That is 8 to 12 hours a week. I was doing nothing but work and train in the year before I found out my wife was pregnant.

As for your idea that it's not likely to ever need these skills, we just had a school teacher stabbed to death in a relatively calm, wealthy upscale Chicago Suburb. Had he been skilled, the outcome would have been totally different.

In Urban areas, especially in the more economically depressed ones, blade attacks are vastly more common than a gun attack. Blades, and improvised shanks are infinitely more common than guns (people can't afford them). As the economy continues to collapse, you had better be able to deal with that.

I'd rather have a good Kali guy at my back than a vet who can't think outside his military indoctrination any day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I spend too much time in south east asia :D:

I take it back that the ka bar is lame. Its does do the job and yes I do like the blade. I got to use the ka bar bulldozier 6.5inch the other day, that feels nice!

I can't even find an example of good knife work on youtube, only sensitivity drills. There'd be nothing to see really anyway with a decent practioner......

And yes I do have time for a healthy social life :thumb: I'm no ninja but I do wear a balaclava everyday; its under my motorbike helmet :D:
Kade888, you are an okay guy, I don't care what the girls downtown say about ya man :)

I have my grandfather's bayonet from WW2, but nothing saying where it was or did except hearing loosely connected things over fires at deer camps in the Ozarks. From my father, in Vietnam, his medals and DA 638's. My cousins have some things, of very great value to some folks in the family.

My Ka-Bar that I got when I was 18, so far has 27 months in combat and circled the globe 3 times none stop once. It's just a piece of steel, but it is a thing that was present for some good and bad things. It has never seen the news, but it was present when the news was made. If nothing else, it is a thing that was there when the very best men I have ever known where at their very best and when the greatest guys in the world were doing the right thing. When I retire, in a few years, I'll write down where my knife was and what it was present for; I'll legally will it to my oldest to do with as she sees best.

I cannot take my first Ka-Bar off my armor. Wherever I go, until my country releases me from federal service the last time, it'll be there. When I become a civilian again, it is part of the estate I'll turn over to my family. It is not worth much money, but for 2 decades it has served everywhere but Antarctica. It has opened chickens and MRE's and letters and oil cans and broke the bands off missile crates.....it has slept beside me in comfort and I've been grateful to lock it up in countries while I went home for a week....I've been happy and reluctant to see it again....it's been admired by men of many languages....it's been touched by men of every religion....it has fought in drug wars, terrorism, human trafficking, and bloodied by one very brave man doing what he thought he should do. It has cut the pants off a good man to get to his wounds and held down the corner of a VS17 panel so somebodies son's medevac bird could come in.

Her rust is black. Most of her parkerizing is thin or gone. I use a nickel and KB Blast to kill the rust, then CLP to preserve her. And I spent a week with an Arkansas stone putting a back-edge on her. Her sheath is softer than most leather jackets now; too much time soaked in salt water training or mink oiled down after desert training rotations. I've rebent her tang from throwing her into trees too many times to count. She looks funny, plain faded black, old leather and primitive steel, contrasted on state-of-the-art body armor and materials our grandfathers never dreamed of. But....she will still do anything pretty much any other knife can do.

Not many things are built like that anymore. I let my oldest daughter hold that old Ka-Bar. She held it like it was the first caveman's spear. She's just a high school kid, typical army brat...nothing is serious to them...but she weighed the translation in that thing; it's a piece of metal tempered in a lot of fires....some hot....some cold. One day I want my grandson's and granddaughters to hold that knife, like I hold my grandfather's bayonet, except I'm going to write out where it was and what it saw.

This year, for my gun belt I bought a Ka-Bar Big Brother to hang next to my Colt and my Ruger revolvers. I figure when I get really old, I'll need a bigger knife....I might end up like my old great-uncle that carried a real Bowie knife but hunted his last 5 seasons with an empty rifle. It's a damn good blade though....opens up these coastal deer and hogs just fine. A good weapon, a good tool....worth looking at....type a guy could pass down to his boy. Not enough stuff is built like that anymore....it is worth saying so when it is! My first Ka-Bar was $30....my second was $90.....I see it as a devalue in our dollar, not an increase of value in that good old carbon steel battle-proven blade. Just my very humble opinion.

Ride safe young man.

Remember, crotch rockets are for boys. Harleys are for grown men.

See you on the road
CVMA

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
You know, anyone who is a a passionate martial artists will spend this kind of time in every week. When I was hard core, I trained 2-3 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week. That is 8 to 12 hours a week. I was doing nothing but work and train in the year before I found out my wife was pregnant.

As for your idea that it's not likely to ever need these skills, we just had a school teacher stabbed to death in a relatively calm, wealthy upscale Chicago Suburb. Had he been skilled, the outcome would have been totally different.

In Urban areas, especially in the more economically depressed ones, blade attacks are vastly more common than a gun attack. Blades, and improvised shanks are infinitely more common than guns (people can't afford them). As the economy continues to collapse, you had better be able to deal with that.

I'd rather have a good Kali guy at my back than a vet who can't think outside his military indoctrination any day.
and most attacks are blind side attacks and have no warning so it wouldn't matter what your packing

I'm pretty decent with a blade and I have never seen a knife fight end well for either party

ill take some old vet with mad situational awareness and a bad temperament over some guy whose never used his skills outside a gym

Reactions: dan3

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
........I'd rather have a good Kali guy at my back than a vet who can't think outside his military indoctrination any day.
...And I'd rather have a combat veteran at my back. One who has seen blood, dealt blood, taken a life, defended another life, and dealth with the screaming, dying, and stress of combat than someone who spent their life in a gym. But that's just my take on it.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
...And I'd rather have a combat veteran at my back. One who has seen blood, dealt blood, taken a life, defended another life, and dealth with the screaming, dying, and stress of combat than someone who spent their life in a gym. But that's just my take on it.
hey all you need is a few classes and your a master fighter

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
You are obviously not educated in the traditional use of the krambit. It's one of the most lethal, devastating and debilitating blades on the planet.

After dabbling in Silat for the last few years, I can honestly say there is no other blade I fear more.
Ok so the bloody big sword is overated?

Now feel free to tell us all why the Krambit is so lethal. I did put my reasoning out there.

261 - 280 of 328 Posts