Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have lots of veggies & soups. Is this the best move? I can't afford freeze dried food & would prefer to stockpile foods that I will eat on a regular basis so I can cycle them out over time to keep them relatively "fresh".

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
I think you are really smart to stock what you eat and eat what you stock. Saves wasting a lot of money when you realize that all your stored food is outdated - and having taste bud shock when SHTF DOES happen and you have to dig into your stores.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Have lots of veggies & soups. Is this the best move? I can't afford freeze dried food & would prefer to stockpile foods that I will eat on a regular basis so I can cycle them out over time to keep them relatively "fresh".
You ought to stock dried lentils and various beans. They are extremely cheap and you can throw together good soup with beans and veggies. That will give you a protein source. Canned tuna and salmon if you eat fish.

·
Registered
33,566 Posts
What I stock in can's

-Beef
-Chicken
-Tuna
-Salmon
-Hamburger
-Sausages
-Hams
-Bacon
-Spam lite/reg/bacon spam

-Green beans
-Corn (cream and regular)
-Black beans
-Red Beans
-Potatoes
-Onions
-Beets
-Mixed Veg's
-Carrots

-Mixed fruit
-pears
-peaches
-strawberries

-Chili
-Pasta sause
-Powered milk
-pudding (choc/van)
-assorted soups in size and types
-powdered eggs

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/CinciJeff09/DSC_0002.jpg?t=1271079954

·
Registered
530 Posts
One of my favorite canned items is Raviolis.

Stocking what you eat is good, but if it is all you use, you really have to be on top of that rotation. I use canned items for shorter-term stocks but most canned items aren't as healthy as the alternatives due to all of the sodium they have to put into it. I'd highly recommend buying some wheat, yeast, sugar, and a grinder for making your own bread.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,013 Posts
What I stock in can's

-Beef
-Chicken
-Tuna
-Salmon
-Hamburger
-Sausages
-Hams
-Bacon
-Spam lite/reg/bacon spam

-Green beans
-Corn (cream and regular)
-Black beans
-Red Beans
-Potatoes
-Onions
-Beets
-Mixed Veg's
-Carrots

-Mixed fruit
-pears
-peaches
-strawberries

-Chili
-Pasta sause
-Powered milk
-pudding (choc/van)
-assorted soups in size and types
-powdered eggs

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/CinciJeff09/DSC_0002.jpg?t=1271079954
Please tell me where you find canned hamburger at.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I figured canned is for stuff I can't get dried (like beans & soup). Meat will be scarce, so canned meats & jarred peanut butter. I don't live on a farm so I don't jar fruits and vegetables for myself, so canned fruits and veggies will have to do for vitamins & fiber. Plus I happen to like them. Canned coffee - I'm betting it'll be up there with ammo on the barter system.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I keep canned chilli, spam, ravioli and spaghetti and meatballs, tuna, soup, peanut butter, and and then an equal number of various kinds of vegetables. I also keep five or six boxes of fortified cerial in the fridge so the mice cant get at it.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,013 Posts
I figured canned is for stuff I can't get dried (like beans & soup). Meat will be scarce, so canned meats & jarred peanut butter. I don't live on a farm so I don't jar fruits and vegetables for myself, so canned fruits and veggies will have to do for vitamins & fiber. Plus I happen to like them. Canned coffee - I'm betting it'll be up there with ammo on the barter system.
And coffe is going to become harder to get real soon.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,657 Posts
I very often eat canned or frozen goods at work. Saves me from driving out into town and paying 4x the price for a sandwich.
This means that I rotate my canned goods often, but that also means I buy stuff the I can heat up in a microwave.
Most of what I have are soups, chilli, stew, hash, ramen and cup of noodles, canned meats, and leftovers.
I see nothing wrong with 20 cases of chilli and stew.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Chicken and tuna
Veggies
tomatoes and sauce
fruit
beans
soup
olives
Sounds like you are prepping for diet of some sort. Trust me, when you are hungry you do not think “healthy food”. You dream about meat, fat, greasy stuff that will fill you up nicely. But then… you probably do not even know what it is like to be hungry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go to youtube and type canning hamberger
i started canning own meat
onceyou learn how to do it, you can save money when it is on sale
so last weekend i canned 36 pint jars of roast which was on sale
chicken is also easy
i have a 921 all american pressure cooker 17 pints
every weekend i can something...better learn how your going to need it
haven't tryied deer meat yet but i will
also look for canning butter