Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Basket of deplorables
I do not understand the focus on store-bought canned goods here.

You are never going to attain 'self-sufficiency' while buying store-bought food.
Some people do not have the ability to self sustain themselves completely off the land or by themselves. If you are not able to do that do you not consider it wise to have supplemental plans? There are a whole lot of folks here with different abilities and ways to sustain themselves. Not all are interested in raising or growing everything they need. This thread is about the best canned chili and not attaining "self-sufficiency"

Registered
I like Hormel, but chili will always taste best homemade to me. Using fresh ingredents like spicy peppers, tomatoes, and other veggies adds to the flavor. Plus, you can't replace simmering in a crockpot for hours so the flavors all mingle together. If you really want good chili, leave it in the fridge overnight and it will taste even better the second day.

I got 2nd place in a chili competition at work once by letting it sit in the fridge overnight, and it was meatless at the time. There were at least a dozen entries. So that should tell you something. (Of course, one of the meat ones won, but 2nd place isn't bad.)

Registered
I do not understand the focus on store-bought canned goods here.

You are never going to attain 'self-sufficiency' while buying store-bought food.
No idea about the capabilities others on here but for my self the day is coming where I can't do much more than open a can. Canned foods will have to be my choice to survive. Is this your choice as a way to survive, I don't know but in my personal situation is my best chance.
With all of my health problems cooking will become a major problem for my last few years. So open a can and heat it may become our only to survive a few more years.

Registered
Not a big fan of any of the canned stuff because it's too bland, but that's expected so as not to upset tender tastes. I add wine, tomato bullion or tomato sauce if I have the time, cinnamon, cayenne, and most important ground turkey, which isn't as bland or fatty as ground beef. The canned stuff is just a base.

Registered
I'm here to tell you!

I tried that concoction once in my life and thought I might as well eat a bowl of spaghetti sauce.
I've only come across one chili without beans that was good. BBQ place west of the city I went to college in had a chili with no beans. The guy who ran the place made the chili using trimmings from his briskets and such. Even then it still wasn't "real" chili as far as I was concerned. It was more like meat sauce with some chili powder, tomatoes, and so on mixed in with it.

Jackpine Savage
First of all, chili without beans isn't chili.
I'm here to tell you!

I tried that concoction once in my life and thought I might as well eat a bowl of spaghetti sauce.
Not to mention that without beans it's just plain disgusting not suited to use for chum...,馃ぎ

:giggle:
If it doesn't have beans I just refer to it as Texas Gravy. It's good stuff and makes a great gravy for things like french fries, hot dogs, Fritos, rice, cornbread, and lots of other stuff. Chili it is not.

Having said that I stock Hormel No Beans (recently I've gotten the Angus when it's on sale for all beef) because I generally only use the canned stuff as a gravy, and I have plenty of beans stocked including a variety of canned so I can turn it into chili very easily.

Registered
Loaded
I eat a can everyday with beans,keeps me salty.I've tried wolfs,southgate,clover valley,took a few bites an threw em into the deer food bin....
Nalley regular or thick(new stuff seems awful runny now though)Stagg,hormel,are OK,Dennison's is the best,reg. or hot...I'll eat saltines with my chili....Forgot the WM brand,I like it now an then,the chunks of meat are to big An ya gotta cut em up better/smaller....Price for Nalleys here is $ 1.28 Dennison's $ 1.67 ....Prices are at WM,Yuba city,commiefornia...

Registered
Don't know when I started,but mixed the hot dog chili(castleberry?) with some refried beans once for some cheap Dorito nachos,since then I've used other beanless chilis also for tacos,burritos,etc..or chile over rice or just chili.
Aint horrible,gives it a different twist/take/texture.

Michigander
I鈥檓 partial to Stagg Chili. I actually like it. One thing you can do to improve canned chili is to get an envelope of taco seasoning and add a teaspoon or two of it, to canned chili. It will improve the taste tremendously. That being said, I have never felt the need to do this to Stagg.

View attachment 439802
Tried the Stagg.
THIS I can eat.

Thanks

41 - 60 of 60 Posts