Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Skyline
Hormel Chile, ramen noodles, and Fritos, all mixed together with cheese melted on top!
Wolf had too much grease on the top when I opened the can.
Skyline chili (Cincinnati style chili) is typically eaten with spaghetti noodles. But you can use it as a coney sauce or just alone. It’s a different taste from the usual chili. If you don’t go into it thinking of a Tex or Mex style dish you may find you like it.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,563 Posts
While we lived in California, we bought Dennison's or Albertson's grocery store brand. Here in Oklahoma, the best we could find is Wolf's with beans. It is not great right out of the can, but we add extra onions, jalopinios, and spice it up a bit. At one time, Wolf sold a more complete chilli, but the shortages include canned foods like chilli, stew, etc.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I 've tried most of what's been mentioned, and can say there is no canned chili I would choose to eat for flavor. I buy Nalley's because it's the least expensive option at my local Winco. Adding more seasoning like cumin, red pepper, chili powder, all help, but canned chili for me falls under the "desperate times/desperate measures" scenario.

·
Basket of deplorables
3,764 Posts
Skyline

Skyline chili (Cincinnati style chili) is typically eaten with spaghetti noodles. But you can use it as a coney sauce or just alone. It’s a different taste from the usual chili. If you don’t go into it thinking of a Tex or Mex style dish you may find you like it.
Most might think you are crazy but one of my favorite meals as a kid was the Chili Spaghetti. My Godfather used to take me to Bob's Big Boy and that's about the only thing I would ever order. Man it was good!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
First of all, chili without beans isn't chili.

I've tried several canned versions just recently just to see...Hormel, Wolf, Armour, and Great Value.

Great Value had little to no taste...just awful. I've tried to Wolf Brands, one regular and one...I think they call it...chunky. I didn't really taste a difference in the two Wolf Brand types. The chunky was a bit more costly, not worth the extra $$$ IMO. Hormel was not as good as Wolf. Believe it or not, least to my taste, Armour was the best...and also the least expensive of the three name brands I tried.

If I had to, I could survive on any of the four. But would go with Armour first, Wolf Brand second, Hormel third, Great Value a very distant third.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
I always liked basic Western Family. It needed help, but it was….basic, nothing nasty in there.

Now since WF is gone, it’s usually Nalley’s. Food Club is a bit TOO bland.

I prefer chili with beans. But if you can get some REAL chili…it doesn’t need beans. The trick is getting the type made with actual meat, not burger or vegan style. No tomatoes, no onions, just meat and chilis.

And pasta in chili is sacrilege. Just…nasty.

·
Basket of deplorables
3,764 Posts
One thing I think everyone can agree on is chili/with or w/o beans, texture etc ...is going to be a complete regional opinion and go from there.:D
Not to mention that without beans it's just plain disgusting not suited to use for chum...,🤮

:giggle:

·
Survivor
18,624 Posts
Our go to is Nalley, one can of original with beans mixed with one can of hot with beans. If it is just the two of us I will heat up a can of original and add some cayenne pepper for heat.

For chili without beans we will use either Nalley big chunk (not that there are any big chunks) or Hormel and add spices as necessary.

We have tried Wolf and Stagg and don't care for the taste or the texture of either.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Stagg with a cup of rice makes a decent meal for me. Haven't tried too much else for canned chili really. I eat it once in a while, if I had to I could eat it a few times a week and like it well enough.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Y'all are all looking at tomato based chili.
Out here, (AZ) there are other options.
Ponder if you will...Think about a beef soup of some kind... or chicken.. or, or... add serrano, jalapeno, hatch green chilies.
Then your options open up...

21 - 40 of 60 Posts