Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked and searched thru old posts on chili.
There are several long threads. But not exactly
what I was looking for

So a simple question, who makes the best canned chili?
(Yes I know it’s an oxymoron)
(Looking for suggestion’s)

There are only two categories, with or without beans

I figure I will eat a different variety each week

The last place is currently Wolf’s without beans
(All the visual and taste appeal of runny dog poop)

Today, the wife and I tried Staggs w/beans.
Not impressed and will not buy again

·
reluctant sinner
20,158 Posts
I would think that for $50 or less you could try all the locally available choices to see what tastes good to you. Not a fan of Great Value stuff. Second try doctoring some of the promising stuff - addition of hot sauce/cayenne, crackers/rice etc. that you could also store to easy extend your canned supply.

There was an old guy that posted some good review on canned food such as chili, stews ... a few years back. I haven't seen him post in a while "specops"? His cameraman was "Johnto" if that rings a bell for any one.

Myself I'm pressure canning my own food. I did a test run on Elk stew and Elk roast years back - wonderful stuff. I'm putting in for the tag lottery next week.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
went thru a dozen or more chili brands - most of the one's mentioned >>> found Kroger's store brand "Hot" chili was the best for the $$$$ - before the Biden Depression it was a $1/can - now $1.50 - stayed available thru the Covid supply crunch ....

I use it as base - add a can of tomatoes and dice up an onion - add a little red pepper ....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Stagg is a good one texture wise, flavor-not so much for me,but with a little doctoring of spices is not bad at all.
Southgate is was my go to but running really low in the preps and have not seen it in quite awhile, so I keep it for"special" occasions.
The dollar general brand,clover valley,is in my opinion the best bang for your $.
But as mentioned before you cannot go wrong with your own home canned chili recipe,but this is about store bought.
Wolf brand, again my opinion,is an over priced insult to canned chili.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stagg is a good one texture wise, flavor-not so much for me,but with a little doctoring of spices is not bad at all.
Southgate is was my go to but running really low in the preps and have not seen it in quite awhile, so I keep it for"special" occasions.
The dollar general brand,clover valley,is in my opinion the best bang for your $.
But as mentioned before you cannot go wrong with your own home canned chili recipe,but this is about store bought.
Wolf brand, again my opinion,is an over priced insult to canned chili.
I definitely agree with you on wolf.

To me the beef texture in the stagg chili was rubbery.
It also seemed hot, but not spicy if that makes any sense.
Since we have a dollar general about a mile away, we will
Probability try their brand next
Thanks for the suggestion

·
Basket of deplorables
3,764 Posts
If I'm going to eat canned Chili Dennison's is probably my go to. I don't find I really need to add anything to it unless I'm in the mood for some chopped onions and cheddar cheese. I've tried Stagg and Wolf and do not care for them. I stock up cans of Dennison's regular and spicy varieties.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hormel Chile, ramen noodles, and Fritos, all mixed together with cheese melted on top!
Wolf had too much grease on the top when I opened the can.
Now that’s the way to eat canned chili chili. We did that a lot, in college. You can even put the mixture you mentioned in a flour tortilla, for a taco. Very good, for a meal with canned chili, in my personal opinion. Oh, and add a splash of Louisiana hot sauce to it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Taylors Do not know how wide spread it is distributed. Comes from a little probably 50-100 yr. old restaurant. The only thing better is to drive about 30 miles south and get it fresh.

Ok being a Dumb Ass thought of looking it up on google. Available on line and they have been in business since 1904. All that I knew was that family had been eating there for probably 75 yrs. that I know.

·
Prepaired
1,211 Posts
I’m a recent convert to Dennison’s. Never saw it down here but Sam’s has the Original with Beans on line so I got a box to try. Makes a good chili dog when I’m in a rush. I’d like to get the Hot but haven’t found it so I just add some Ancho powder.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,873 Posts
Another fan of Wolf brand , but I often add chopped onions, Rotel, etc.

With beans & without mixed - not on par with my homemade (by a mile) but ok for a quick meal.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,701 Posts
I looked and searched thru old posts on chili.
There are several long threads. But not exactly
what I was looking for

So a simple question, who makes the best canned chili?
(Yes I know it’s an oxymoron)
(Looking for suggestion’s)

There are only two categories, with or without beans

I figure I will eat a different variety each week

The last place is currently Wolf’s without beans
(All the visual and taste appeal of runny dog poop)

Today, the wife and I tried Staggs w/beans.
Not impressed and will not buy again
I've tried several brands but I always go back to Stagg's or Hormel for flavor. I prefer the "no beans" variety but to each their own. Whatever you do ... avoid the Chilli Man brand. Horrible flavor and texture.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts