Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
This is a very vague question..How many people will you be traveling with? How many supplies will you need to carry? How far do you need to travel to get to your BOL? If it's only one person and you have all of your supplies at a BOL, I'd say get an enduro motorcycle. If you have 2,3,4, or more passengers and supplies, you might not fit everyone (+ supplies) in a jeep. You need to give more info...:thumb:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have been more clear, I just mean for you personally in your particular situation.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Something that has plenty of room, and gets as much gas mileage as possible.

During a hurricane evacuation, its not uncommon to see abandoned cars on the side of the road where people ran out of gas.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
something like that interceptor in mad max...:D:

seriously, people love to hash about with buying a vehicle specifically for "bugging out", when chances are, the vehicles they own now will most likely suffice just fine.

if your planning on moving mass quantities of gear and food/supplies from your home to your bol, then maybe a big full size van.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been thinking about using my horses as my BoV but don't know much about extended riding, I've been riding my entire life but never the distance that I will need to cover from our home to my BoL. especially now that our horses are getting older (been kept as pets for 12 years now) but it an idea I have been thinking about.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I've been thinking about using my horses as my BoV but don't know much about extended riding, I've been riding my entire life but never the distance that I will need to cover from our home to my BoL. especially now that our horses are getting older (been kept as pets for 12 years now) but it an idea I have been thinking about.
Horses have been used for hundreds of years to travel hundreds of thousands of miles. I would imagine if you kept at an easy pace it wouldnt be a problem with older horses, but dont expect to run the derby.

As for my personal BOV, it would be my 4x4 truck(F-150). Its all I have at the moment and would have to do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I grew up with horses and I agree if you are talking complete breakdown, nothing can beat a horse. If you live in a major city this is not an option and if you have horses you may not need to bug out anyway but they are the best survival transportation. Few vehicles can swim a river or climb major ditches and mountains if the bridges collapse

·
Cry havoc..
1,102 Posts
I am starting to look for a full size Ford Bronco as a project BOV. 1985 - 1995 is about right. Have a friend to help advise in EMP protection and replacement parts. Have rebuilt 4 Dodge Ramchargers in the past and it is time for a change. Looking forward to the project. I currently drive a 2001 Ford F150 Sportsbed, with a camper shell. Great truck, but no back seat. Anyone with specific recommendations on the Bronco, let me know. PM is good.

Dave

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
It depends on the situation. And since there are more possible situations, with variables attached to each one that can change minute by minute in any scenario, you need to remain flexible. Be resourceful. Stop thinking there's a one best type of gear for anything. Learn as many ways to handle a problem as practical. The more important the problem, the more solutions you should have.

Because of the wide variety and huge amount of unknowns bugging out, plan A for us is staying put. We will have more resources, better Intel, a higher comfort level, and better physical security. Putting all our stuff in the back of a pickup and heading down the highway has far more potential for losing everything than sitting tight. Obviously, if you are escaping a hurricane or massive wildfire, you may not have much of a choice.

So what vehicle? Depending on where you're going, (you do have more than one possible bol, right?) you need to consider the distance and the time it takes to cover that distance. The time will be dependent on the vehicle, availability of fuel, condition of terrain, and many other variables, including breakdown, weather, and possible theft.

So make sure you are carrying enough essentials for a worst case scenario. If your bol is 100 miles away and you can normally drive there in 2 hours, don't take just 2 hours of food and water. The roads could be impassable, you vehicle could lunch it's motor at the end of your driveway, or you could have it confiscated by nefarious forces. Figuring you and yours can walk at least 10 miles a day, you'll need 10 days of food and water.

But that's worse case. Maybe your vehicle takes a crap on you haalfway, but you've got bicycles for each person loaded on the back. Great! Now you can cover that last 50 miles in 3 hours instead of 5 days walking. Or maybe you took two cars instead of one, just in case. Either way, you have some options.

Options are good. Start with the basics. Make sure everyone has comfortable shoes, a backpack, and the ability to walk a realistic distance with them. Actually do it. Often. Stay in shape. Have several bicycles ready in good repair. Make sure you have basic tools and parts to keep them rolling. Ride them. Make sure everyone has enough cycling skill and ability to ride them a realistic distance over varying terrain with gear. Learn to fix a flat tire and replace a chain. A bicycle is a very simply machine and be kept rolling even by people that are not professional mechanics.

Horses? Motorcycles? Great possible options, especially if fuel is scarce. Many motorcycles get over 50 MPG and are quite fast, much faster than even supercars. Many smaller motorcycles can get 100 MPG, and can still outrun a lot of cars. Horses require only grass for fuel, but require some basic care and handling skills. This is not hard to learn, and could be very valuable.

Other possibilities are airplanes, or even ultralight aircraft. Mass transit may be running, but that's going to be very hard to count on. Boats may be useful or even desireable in some circumstances. Learn the waterways in your area, and at the very least, have an inflatable boat, life jackets, and oars for everyone. For those living on the coast, a fully stocked sailboat could be a great choice for a shtf event.

Stay flexible. Learn the skills to navigate and operate many different kinds of transport. Don't base your decisions on a movie and think all you need is big badass 4wd to blast through everything.

Az

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 for horses. Each in my immediate family have one. Throwing the gear in the saddlebag, rifle in the scabbard and tying on the bedroll and heading out in a EOTWAWKI situation.
They run on grass/water, dont make alot of noise ( well, far less noisy than anything with an engine, anyway), and as horses have far better senses than people, can act as an added alarm. but only if your paying attention, of course. Get the hound dog in tow, and we're good to go

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
A long time ago, in a Cold War, I drove one of these. I'd LOVE to have one as my BOV ! It would push a Jeep Wrangler off the road ! TP

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
We have an old PU- but its only 2WD. It has a topper to keep our gear in and is kept in excellent running condition. We have a trailer to haul our stuff. It also has 3 tanks. Can go pretty far. My guess is that people will use what they have on hand when the time comes. Like the saying goes- "When disaster strikes, the time to prepare is gone!"

·
Northerner
20 Posts
My vote is the Scorpion 4x4 MKIV all the parts are common off the shelf parts so they would be easy to obtain in a PAW. Cummins 4BT will almost runn on anything and last for ever.

anyone seen these before and have a clue what the price is?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts