Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 70's I spent three months backpacking in the US and I had this great little pocket guide to edible plants in the US. It was about a same size as a pocket SAS survival guide, with each page given to a single plant. Each page included a full color photo or color drawing of the plant, a small distribution map, growing cycle, uses and preparation. I was quick and easy to use. I have been trying to find it again to put it in a new bug-out pack I am putting together. I cannot remember for the life of me what it's name was, and I cannot find anything like it. I bought two books (The Guide to Wild Foods and Useful Plants, & Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest), one is too big for a bug-out pack and they both do not have color photos (one has only a few), or distribution maps and they are not formatted for quick easy reference.

Does anyone know where I can find a book similar to the one I described?

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
There is no one book. Photos are not the best way to ID plants because environmental elements can make the plants look very different than photos. The best thing is to study with someone and just learn them. I always suggest a cheap membership in the local Native Plant Society. They always have a wild edible expert and it is the quickest and cheapest way to learn the local edible plants.

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that studying ahead of time is the best way, but I am preparing bug-out bags for several of my friends that are not outdoors-men and that don't have the time to earn a PhD in outdoor survival tactics. I am trying to find books that cover the basics, in a neat, organized for quick use, easily understood manner. Now I know this book exist because I used to have it 30 years ago. I just can't remember what the name of the darn thing is. I was a lot younger and more inexperienced when I used that book and it taught me a lot of things that I still use today.

What I am trying to do for my friends is put together a pack, that if the worst case scenario should occur and they, being inexperienced, would need to survive off the land for a while, the pack would contain the essentials tools and information that would give them the best chance at making it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts