Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some great books on SHTF. I don't necessarily mean books on canning, martial arts, medical books, etc. I am referring to books that take on the subject of STHF as a whole. I saw one book on amazon called
The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse. It seemed to have fairly positive reviews. Any suggestions? thanks again.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,847 Posts
"How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" by James Wesley Rawles.

A bit too focused on the idea of heading to a retreat for my tastes, but as with all these types of books, there are many tidbits that are useful.

"One Second After" by William Forstchen.

Good book about one fictional scenario following an EMP attack. Less on technology, more on the organizational challenges and human elements of the reaction. When I read it there were multiple "damn, never thought of that" moments.

"Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles.

Very slow start, gets better. A bit too much focus on the black helicopters, but otherwise has interesting information. Very focused on a survival retreat, the book's value to me was in many of the technical aspects of survival. Very tactical in its orientation, but also very good in identifying many issues of survivalism one may not have thought of.

Some interesting elements of how a barter economy might emerge, other parts about how people may make contact and coordinate with each other.

"Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

A book about a comet hitting the earth. This book started me thinking about prepping and survivalism 30 years ago, but I didn't do much w/ that knowledge until the last 3 years. The book, IMO, is fabulous as it deals primarily with the sociology of collapse, of people trying to band together and maintain some semblance of humanity and social organization in the midst of a complete societal breakdown. It's one of the three greatest books I've ever read, because the *sociology* was credible and it got me thinking.

·
Pour Encourager Les Autre
97 Posts
The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler "(Grove/Atlantic, 2005) is a book exploring the consequences of a world oil production peak, coinciding with the forces of climate change, resurgent diseases, water scarcity, global economic instability and warfare to cause chaos for future generations."

Prediction out today that gas will be hitting $4 this year. Bringing the price of everything else up with it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I just ordered Lucifer's Hammer as I havent read it. I am a big fan of Lights Out, Patriots and One Second After.

Survival fiction is not fantastic but it is good and it often causes new ideas to pop into your head.

·
Blessed
631 Posts
Excuse me if this question sounds silly but how hard is the book to read? Last book i read was a few months ago unfourtunatly. I just dont read that often, however i want a good book like you guys are talking about. Oops, i am reffering to the book "One Second After". Thanks

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,847 Posts
Excuse me if this question sounds silly but how hard is the book to read? Last book i read was a few months ago unfourtunatly. I just dont read that often, however i want a good book like you guys are talking about. Oops, i am reffering to the book "One Second After". Thanks
It's not a difficult read.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Not a good idea to read OSA just before bedtime. Some pretty heavy stuff in that book that makes you want to think. It sounds wrong, but I found Lights Out to be more of an enjoyable read. Both are very worthwhile, dealing with our latest Boogeyman, EMP.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,586 Posts
This free book has much practical and inexpensive info on how to survive, even a nuclear war. I used the small pole shelter plans to build the main room of my bunker / fallout shelter > www.oism.org/nwss

Fiction books are interesting and can be helpful but books about real life imo, are even better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One Second After was excellent, amazingly realistic... And scary as hell. Not a single thing that happened in that book was outside the realm of possibility.

Try these books as well:
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse
Lights Out
The Walk

Patriots in particular has a ridiculous amount of useful information worked into the story. Lights out is an EMP scenario like OSA but quite different, not nearly as heavy, but good. The Walk shows why a work/car emergency kit would come in handy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just finished reading One Second After. For me it was very heavy, much more so than Lights Out. Although I know they are both fiction, Light's Out gave me hope where One Second After gave me "get your ass in gear".

I totally agree. Do you know of any other "get your ass in gear" type books of SHTF genre?

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Lights out was really slow at first. The seeming endless administrative duties became hard to read but as the situation got progressively worse, the book start to get exciting.

Patriots: Some hated it, I took notes. Some of the stuff just weaved into the story line makes you think hard about your preps. Every once in a while you get a "oh yeah, I need that" feeling.

One second after: Whoa, heavy book. Read it.

Lucifers Hammer: Great read. Good story with realistic possibilities.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Check the Books, Movies and Stories board on this website, lots of recommendations there.

One Second After was so poorly written it just about drove me nuts, but he has good thoughts. Just... needs an editor.

Reactions: dealfinder500
1 - 20 of 30 Posts