Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Klaatu Brarada Nikto
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as you can tell by my question I'm new to this and I'm looking for a good all around book that can be thrown into the 'to-go" package, and for research material.

Willing to buy more than one if they cover the most important items, or are written by survival gurus that must be included in everyone's library.

Surely this will help us newB's here so keep the suggestions coming, and any data that can lead us to the best prices for these books.

Also, any books that may contain lists of edible plants would be helpful too.

Thanks.

This type of thread may even be worthy of a 'sticky', but I'll let the admins do their job.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are a ton of books on survival. I have read quite a few, to me it seems that they break down into three catagories: Wilderness survival, Pre-post shtf prep survival and related survival topics i.e. gardening,shooting,livestock.

Here are my three favorite in those catagories:

Wilderness survival- Hawkes Green Beret Survival Manuel By Mykel Hawke.

Amazon.com: Mykel Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive! (9780762433582): Mykel Hawke: Books

This book has a lot of information. It is very well laid out and also has a bit of humor. You could also go with the SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman but I like Hawkes just a hair more. It is written from an American view(Hawke) instead of a British viewpoint (Wiseman).
But you would be fine with either.

Pre-post shtf prep survival: Crisis Preparedness Handbook by Jack A. Spigarelli

Amazon.com: Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival (9780936348070): Jack A. Spigarelli: Books

This is my favorite book on survival period. It is very consise and covers in detial most, topics that a new and expierenced prepper would require. If I could recomend only one book it would be this one. An alternative would be How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It by James Wesley Rawles. This is a great book, Rawles has a great outlook on the subject. I choose Spigarelli's book because of the sheer information and detail.

Related survival topics: Gardening When It Counts, growing food in hard times by Steve Solomon

Amazon.com: Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series) (9780865715530): Steve Solomon: Books

If im going to have a book on a related topic, it will be about growing food. This book shows you how to grow food without modern equiptment, fertilizers or pesticides. Also goes into detail about composting and why square foot gardening might not work well without modern irrigation techniques. Another great book is The Self-Sufficient Life And How To Live It by John Seymour. It covers a wide array of general homesteading topics and has a great amout of pictures and illistrations.

I own, have read and re-read all of these books. I got most of them from borders, but keep an eye out at places like goodwill and flea markets you might find a diamond in the rough.

To tell you the truth the best source of information on survival I have ever found is this here website. Kev has set up somthing special here and if you can you should pay for the membership its well worth the info obtianed.

Good luck theres alot of books out there with great info its hard to go wrong.

-Oak

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
+1 (actually plus 1,000) on Gardening When It Counts, growing food in hard times by Steve Solomon

Here are some free books on edible and medicinal plants that you can download. I'm not saying they're the best as I think the Peterson, Audubon, and other commercial series are better. Actually there is a thread here on plants with some other good suggestions on edible and medicinal wild plants. I think I got the following from Scribd.com. The advantage of these is that you can put them on your phone or a flash card and don't have to lug 10 pounds of books around.

]9766241-Edible-and-Medicinal-Plants

6791680-Wild-Plants-With-Edible-Stems-and-Leaves

6791686-Wild-Plants-With-Edible-Tubers-Bulbs-or-Roots

7354348-Herbal-PDRsmall

8100611-Wild-Edibles-Nutrition-MedicineEdible wild plants

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have number of books ranging from the Foxfire series to "When All Hell Breaks Loose", I really like this book. I find many of my earlier books were about wilderness survival and bush craft. Lately, I have been buying books on self sufficient living, e.g. Story's "Back to Basics" (I believe) and Ball's Book of Canning. All depends what you need it for. I hunt and at times almost had to spend the night, unplanned and I wanted to learn about mini-survival kits for fire and how to build a quick shelter. Now I want to know how to raise chickens... The Army manual and SAS (I have them too) are good but very general.

·
Forum Administrator
16,843 Posts
If your trying to prepare for something like the plague, then I would start with some non-fiction history books. If your wanting a regular wilderness survival manual - FM21-76

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Here's some more:

Foraging New England by Tom Seymour

Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons

The Forester's Harvest by Samuel Thayer

Back to Basics by Abigail R. Gehring

Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery

·
Klaatu Brarada Nikto
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A big THANK YOU to all that responded, and to those yet to respond. All your suggestions are sure to help all us newB's here!!!! :thumb:

I'll likely end up with a few of these suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts