Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen ideas cited before on this subject, but what are the best beans to store in terms of:

best nutrition
Taste
Soak / cook times (shorter cook time = fuel saving)
Price and availability
storage life

Thoughts & ideas appreciated

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
This is mostly personal preference. We like pink beans over pinto beans. Dehydrated refried beans are awesome; just add boiling water. They all have about the same shelf life and they are all getting pretty expensive as of late. The best beans are the beans that are in your storage.

Lentils cook very quickly and come in a variety of colors. All beans can be efficiently cooked after soaking. If you bring the pot to a boil, remove from heat, and wrap in wool blankets or place in an insulated ice chest they should cook through in a few hours. You may have to reheat some varieties to boiling again to get them cooked, but plan ahead for your meals.

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
I like baked beans in cans. I know, you are probably wondering about the dried, bagged variety... but man, baked beans in cans are so good. I keep buying them and I have to tell you that I feel pretty good knowing those cans are there just in case. So tasty and even with bacon and stuff inside. Mmmmm.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I like beans myself; grew up on beans, cornbread or biscuits. Pinto's are best all around, imo. Just toss in a ham hock if possible.

Same with white or navy beans. Butter beans (limas) are really good, too. All they need is salt & butter.

One of my favorites, and ones I can't find here, are "Hams Cajun Bean Soup". Add a can of crushed tomatoes. Good stuff. They also sell 15 bean mix in bulk stores. Just can't over cook them or the smaller beans turn to mush.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
a huge variety of beans would be best to me, why just stock one? I personally don't like kidney beans, spouse doesn't like lentils, but we stock them both and most every other kind we can get. Variety is good for nutrition and to avoid monotony... there will be enough of that if you have to hide out for a period of time. why focus on just one?

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
we just started to stockpile foods, our first batch consisted of
got some green lentils
black, pinto, red kidney, anasazi(old variety from 4corners region of usa)

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
we just started to stockpile foods, our first batch consisted of
got some green lentils
black, pinto, red kidney, anasazi(old variety from 4corners region of usa)
Did you like the anasazi beans? How did they compare to black beans (my personal fave) in terms of flavor and texture?

These old varieties fascinate me. :)

·
Mom Walton
1,390 Posts
Our main bean in the pinto bean. We cook them the traditional southern way and the Mexican re-fried way for homemade tortillas and dips. I use them in our venison chili.

I also like black beans added to rice and corn. They go with chicken too.

Baked or Boston beans are made from "navy beans" which are white. White chili and bean soup are also made from these beans.

They are an important source of protein when meat is hard to come by. If things got really bad for my family, at least one meal a day would have beans as it's main source of protein. This is why I must consider a variety.

·
3,760 Posts
Reactions: lanahi

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Bean Question --- if you are going to be on foot all day would it make sense to place dried beans in a thermos of hot water before you break morning camp so you would have hot beans for lunch and then do the same before leaving from lunch for the walk to dinner.... obviously that means you are eating a lot of beans, but wouldnt they have had enogh time to soak up the hot water and also get cooked....?

·
3,760 Posts
Bean Question --- if you are going to be on foot all day would it make sense to place dried beans in a thermos of hot water before you break morning camp so you would have hot beans for lunch and then do the same before leaving from lunch for the walk to dinner.... obviously that means you are eating a lot of beans, but wouldnt they have had enogh time to soak up the hot water and also get cooked....?
Could always give it a try and see. Maybe if they soaked overnight, then you did this, that would be enough time.

Rice would probably work like this.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Lentils cook quicker and with less fuel than pintos. Most people like pintos for the versatility & consistancy. I would try the thermos thing with boiling water and lentils or soaked white beans cause they are smaller. I have a feeling they will not be completely cooked but would certainly speed up the process when you break for lunch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses. I currently have dry lentils and some canned kidney beans and canned baked beans. I really like the canned baked beans, but they are getting very expensive and I thought it may be best to get some bulk dried beans.

Looks like pinto is a good place to start - and perhaps some dry kidney beans too.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Lentil answer

Experiment: at noon boiled water to preheat the 160z thermos dumped boiling water. put 3 oz of dry lentils into themos added 12 oz boiling water thermos was full. Came home from work at 5pm checked lentils found them to be almost cooked through but with about 2 oz extra water. Added seasonings and put over high flame brought to boil & cooked 12 additional minutes, extra water was cooked off and lentils were done. Conclusion if you have sufficent capacity to boil water preheatoing the thermos will result in mostly cooked lentils. This was more lentils than you need for one person. If you had a smaller thermos to make an individual serving it might work better. Also this was a tall skinny thermos and it was difficult to get the ones on the bottom out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts