Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Springfield M14 ,Fn Fal ,HK 91/93 The Springfield is a tough rifle you can shoot it dirty and wet neglected and it will still shoot. 308 7.62 heavy rifle very accurate. It has allot of options you can buy for it. The FN FAL is kind of hard to get and parts are usually peice meal but one of the best battle rifles ever made. The HK is a fine rifle but it will cost you plenty so if you are looking for a cheep rifle it is not going to he a HK 91/93 they can run up to $15.000 in mint condition. Check out Springfield armory.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I like the M14 series great rifle and a test to it is thats its being used still today. I like the FAL and wish I had money for either one of them.

The SOPMOD ones are they as tough as the orginal one.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Springfield M14 ,Fn Fal ,HK 91/93 The Springfield is a tough rifle you can shoot it dirty and wet neglected and it will still shoot. 308 7.62 heavy rifle very accurate. It has allot of options you can buy for it. The FN FAL is kind of hard to get and parts are usually peice meal but one of the best battle rifles ever made. The HK is a fine rifle but it will cost you plenty so if you are looking for a cheep rifle it is not going to he a HK 91/93 they can run up to $15.000 in mint condition. Check out Springfield armory.
I would love to find an M-14! :)

·
11B3P
754 Posts
what are the best assault rifles,i know alot about ak's and ar's but what else is there?

The one that you have when you need it is the best!

Everybody argues AR or AK or FAL etc,I think whatever you have along with useful accessories and ammo is fine.
There is no clearcut dominant weapon out there.
I think if you want reliability in the face of abuse then the AK series is great.
If you want better accuracy (debatable) than the AK then the AR series is great.
If you like a different design firing a "full power" rifle cartridge then the M14,G3,FAL are great.
There are also AR variants in larger calibers (.308,6.8,7.62x39).

I have an AR and an AK, along with several other "lesser" rifles including a carbine and several bolt action military rifles.

Since there is not just 1 dominant "assault rifle" out there just do like I did and get at least 2 of them for good measure.:thumb:

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Which ever one you're comfortable with and can shoot well is the best MBR for you. Any caliber chambered to a MBR is very capable of killing someone.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I love the .308. It was the caliber for my first deer rifle. I had a Remington 700 BDL in .308. It shot beautiful groups and killed a bunch of deer. I had to sell it when wife and I went back to school after the oilfield crashed in 86.

I also really like my two AR 15's. Mine is a S&W, while my wifes is a Bushmaster. They feel great and shoot better. But I sure had my eye on that Remington camo AR15 in .308. It was just a little more than I wanted to spend at the time. By the time I have the money for one more, it will either be an SKS or a AK 47. I don't think there is a best as far as I'm concerned. There are just those I can afford and those I can't and I have what I can afford for right now.

HiPoopus

·
Registered
7 Posts
If money were no issue...M14 all the way. Close second would be a DSA FAL. A more economical alternative if a .308 is too much is the AR 15. Like kahn said, any caliber in an MBR will kill someone. You just have to aim well.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
for me personally the SKS Siminov is the best, more range and power than an AR with the reliability of an AK, It's actually closer to the German assault rifle introdused toward the end of WWII than the AK

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it all depends on what you consider what makes a assult rifle best
here is some critieria to consider (not in any order). what is best for me may not be best for you. i would make my own list by what i think is important and try and find one that meets those critieria :thumb:

1. price
2. reliablity
3. parts availablity
4. accuracy
5. weight
6. recoil
7. durablity
8. price and availablity of ammo
9. caliber
10. size
11. range

for me its
1. caliber
2. durablity
3. reliablity
4. price
5. recoil
6. weight
7. parts availiblty
8. price and availabilty of ammo
9. accuracy
10. range

and i had choosen the caliber 308 for power and availablity. i had choosen a SAIGA 308 beacuse of reliablity and durablity. but most of all PRICE at the time they cost less than $300. that has a low recoil and its weight is only 8lb unloaded. and all 20rnd mags are made in the U.S.A.and i didnt need a long range weapon in my terrian your lucky if in the winter you got a 100yrd shot

but i sold it when battle packs went from $25 per 200 to around $100

but as said earlier if money is no object M1a (with G.I. parts)or a FAL is a fine choice

·
Registered
631 Posts
The best rifle is the one you can afford to shoot and are willing to become a master of be it a Marlin 30-30 or the latest whizz bang combat rifle. Not trying to be a smart azz but this is true. My dream gun would be a heavy barrel flat top AR shorty in 6.8 SPC but with ammo at $20 a box for 20 rounds I do not feel that it would be the best SHTF rifle for me. Yes I love the caliber and have a Ruger Ranch in 6.8 but can not afford to do serious training with it. I do have an AR in .223 and can shoot more but not as much as I would like due to ammo prices these days.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
I simply don't trust an AR with its 311 moving parts, for comparison
AR-311
AK-around 60
SKS->50
when reliability is a factor the fewer moving parts the better
and I had rather have a .30 cal than a glorified .22
say what you want a SKS Siminov 7.62-39 is just the best in my hands, it really depends on the individual shooter anyway.
all my life I've heard my nam vet dad cuss about macnamera and his "piece of ****ing ****"
he pulled 2 tours and said the .223 cal didn't do it a .223 will turn when it hits a leaf at the right angle. he even had to pay the army $600 because after a firefight that his M-16 jammed in he smashed it on the side of a tree threw it in the jungle and picked up an AK-47

It was battle tested and failed the test
plain and simple

1 - 20 of 114 Posts