Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some opinions please, looking for a pair that will last with some serious mileage in the lakes being put on them. Had some Saloman gtx and although excellent and comfortable they did not last well

·
Observer
707 Posts
Bump on this, I've been looking at Danners but they have literally no coverage in the UK (for the model I want anyways) and they are wayyy over priced on Ebay.

To the OP: I have some Vaude boots that are pretty good. Vibram soles, Carbon Fibre supports etc. Picked them up cheap at TK Maxx, never worn, totally new condition with no faults! Have a look in your nearest one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks will check out tk maxx. I have been recommend Altberg by some lads with military background but have heard mixed reports about them. There UK factory is in Richmond Yorks near the Catterick garrison - they're made to measure apparently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know how much the made to measure are but they do a range of hiking boots in five width sizes that are priced about £170 -3.4 season. Apparently quite a few UK SF get their boots fitted there.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I can't help you with the brand, but I can with the style. After having worn a mixture of many different kinds of boots, I prefer full grain leather boots for all season, ESPECIALLY if you're looking for durability.

They have their downfalls for all-season use, but any boot you pick will be deficient in some area if you're using them all-season.

:thumb:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a pair of Danner combat boots i wore my entire tour in Afghanistan and they are still going strong, and i wasnt a fobit. The only down side is that now they eat shoestrings like crazy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree. I have a pair of full-leather Asolo TPS 520 boots that I love. I used them a ton hiking all over England, Wales and Scotland. They also worked great on the slick mud when I went caving.

I looked and I think this is the British version of the boot I use:
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde...-gtx/fuseaction/products.detail/code/32110010 But I'd probably just go to a few stores and try on a few different pairs. Each foot is different and a shoe that someone absolutely loves may be horrible for you.

I can't help you with the brand, but I can with the style. After having worn a mixture of many different kinds of boots, I prefer full grain leather boots for all season, ESPECIALLY if you're looking for durability.

They have their downfalls for all-season use, but any boot you pick will be deficient in some area if you're using them all-season.

:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts