Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think is the best sport/activity to well-round your fitness? Personally I think wrestling is really good because it not only works your endurance because you have to run a lot for it, but it also works your muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardio, flexibility, agility, discipline, and it is also a good self defense sport.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
What do you guys think is the best sport/activity to well-round your fitness? Personally I think wrestling is really good because it not only works your endurance because you have to run a lot for it, but it also works your muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardio, flexibility, agility, discipline, and it is also a good self defense sport.
Sounds like a good way to possibly injure yourself..I think I will stick with free weights and running....

I wonder what sports will still be around, period,,,Maybe something like Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome, will thrive....

Of course I will still be wrestling with the wife, for fun of course..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, my husband practices various martial arts; some Judo, some Kung Fu, and trains with various weapons on an almost daily basis. If you do some hard martial arts training for an hour or more a day, you're bound to get strong and fit, and you're getting yourself ready to defend your family and your person. My husband is insanely strong, can run for miles despite having had asthma as a child/teenager, and honestly, he can kick ass. It gives me a sense of security knowing that at least I have him on my side if the SHTF. So yeah. I would say practicing some sort of martial arts, diligently, would be a great way to prepare your body.

Also, if you've ever watched DragonBallZ, you may have heard of the Turtle Hermit Way. (Don't laugh... I like cartoons.) Basically you go about your daily life with weights on your body, and you get used to carrying around all that extra weight so that when you eventually take it off you're stronger and lighter on your feet. I like that approach. I tried going around for a week with ankle weights, only taking them off to sleep, and the feeling in my legs when I eventually took them off and walked around was great. I felt like I had more energy and not so weighed down by my own body.

Anyways, just my two cents.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did ju jitsu for years and it is very physically demanding. A normal person wi gas out within a minute because of inproper form and all around exerting too much energy. It is a great self defense tool. You do run a risk of getting hurt, most do at some point. You just have to make sure you are at the right gym where people are there to help you not hurt you and look cool.

·
Super Moderator
12,300 Posts
I think swimming and dancing are two of the most well rounded workouts to keep your entire body in shape. Plus they are fun, especially the dancing.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,960 Posts
Swimming is fantastic. I did 20+ years on Active Duty, and I saw a lot of guys disabled from jogging and other sports [flag-football should be made illegal].

I fell in love with foil-fencing when I was in college. I managed to help form a few teams during my military career, and I competed in UK and in Italy. I also coached a highschool fencing team for a couple years.

I used my fencing skills while doing LEO work, by simply extending my first and middle fingers. Blocks, jabs, lunges, and really the attitude of quickly advancing on your opponent, ... Fencing may not be the 'best' martial art, but it certainly does the job.

·
Sad But True
93 Posts
I cant give the best but I'd say the extreme sports category would not only help you with fitness and skills when shtf but you'll be accustomed to it and prepared
any martial art also along with weapon training if it counts with guns and swords,knives,etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ultramarathoning.

If the SHTF and I didn't have a vehicle (I don't), I know I can from any state to any other adjacent state in 24-48 hours on foot.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Look at a bunch of older sports like lacrosse, which was a Native American game. I'm not saying lacrosse is 'the sport' to play, I am saying many older tribal sports were designed to refine individual ability while teaching everyone to work together.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've been training for obstacle course running. For free daily workouts that change daily, have lots of running mixed in with upper body and core work, go to www.spartanrace.com. I've gotten much fitter since starting these, and I race mountain bike!

The workouts that they send out should be modified to meet your fitness level, time allowance, and gear availability. Most all of them can be done without any special gear, just some running shoes!

·
Registered
347 Posts
weightlifting is NOT a good one- reason, too much equipment. being too muscular/bulky not good for survival.

better are running, swimming, and even martial arts. martial arts are sports with a useful purpose. some martial arts seem a bit more practical than others. some traditional martial arts concentrate alot on form, etc...whereas others like krav maga or systema, are more on practical skills.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wrestling is gay, to me it is! When I wrestled I would whisper something in the ear of the opponent to throw him off guard and sometimes the individual would turn around and smile.

Cardio, running is the way to go! It's the only thing you will have after the SHTF!

·
Gravity is a Theory.
3,211 Posts
Backpacking.

Cardio, strength building by carrying weight, and you practice simple living while on the trail.

In terms of an actual "sport", soccer players and swimmers are probably in the best all around shape when it comes to athletics.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,960 Posts
weightlifting is NOT a good one- reason, too much equipment. being too muscular/bulky not good for survival. ...
We saw a lot of problems with weightlifters during my Active Duty career.

Pulled this, torn that. They get bulked up and loose flexibility.

Every vessel I served on had a full set of weights, with metal straps holding them in place and welded down. We 'had' them, but strongly discouraged any crewmember from attempting to use them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What do you all mean by 'weightlifting'? I mean are you talking about simply lifting weights or powerlifting as a sport? Lifting weights requires very little equipment. I have a barbell and 2 adjustable dumbells with a small pile of weight plates. All I use in addition is a chin up bar. In terms of injury, correct knowledge of training is needed for all types of fitness. Weight training has one of the lowest injury rates of all sports. You will not get 'too bulky' by accident doing weights, it is quite challenging to gain any significant amount of muscle without the help of steroids. This goes for females too, a lot of females think they will suddenly look like Arnie if they even touch a weight. The truth is that all major bodybuilding competitions are steroid users, often even the so called 'natural' competitions. Weight lifting when done correctly will give you strength and strengthen your bones and ligaments against injuries. I encourage both men and women to try weights and see how quickly they get 'too bulky'. A site that has good well rounded info on weights:
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

For cardio I do bushwalking up mountains quite regularly (2-3 times a week or more) and would recommend bushwalking for everyone if they are close to the bush. I am lucky enough to live a 30second walk to the national parks on all sides. Personally I think there are many misconceptions about weight training. Incorporating cardio and weights a few times a week will leave you with all rounded strength and endurance.

·
Gravity is a Theory.
3,211 Posts
What do you all mean by 'weightlifting'? I mean are you talking about simply lifting weights or powerlifting as a sport? Lifting weights requires very little equipment. I have a barbell and 2 adjustable dumbells with a small pile of weight plates. All I use in addition is a chin up bar. In terms of injury, correct knowledge of training is needed for all types of fitness. Weight training has one of the lowest injury rates of all sports. You will not get 'too bulky' by accident doing weights, it is quite challenging to gain any significant amount of muscle without the help of steroids. This goes for females too, a lot of females think they will suddenly look like Arnie if they even touch a weight. The truth is that all major bodybuilding competitions are steroid users, often even the so called 'natural' competitions. Weight lifting when done correctly will give you strength and strengthen your bones and ligaments against injuries. I encourage both men and women to try weights and see how quickly they get 'too bulky'. A site that has good well rounded info on weights:
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

For cardio I do bushwalking up mountains quite regularly (2-3 times a week or more) and would recommend bushwalking for everyone if they are close to the bush. I am lucky enough to live a 30second walk to the national parks on all sides. Personally I think there are many misconceptions about weight training. Incorporating cardio and weights a few times a week will leave you with all rounded strength and endurance.
Agreed.

Id say you dont even need the weights.

Push ups, pull ups, and go walking/hiking with a backpack on.

Seems to work pretty well for the military.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts