Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only have one AK-47, based upon all of your knowledge and experience, what brand and caliber would you purchase and later accessorize. Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Why do you prefer 5.45? 7.62 seems more popular.
5.45 is cheaper and flatter shooting, this is a great web site, heres a link. http://gun-deals.com/ammo

i perfer 7.62 for my own reasons.

the main thing too look for when buying an AK, is to get the factory chrome lined barrel. i have seen cheap ass AKs shoot with high dollar AKs. in other words AK price dosent mean a damn thing, you get one that shoots or you dont, just like any other gun.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Galil. If you mean 762 versions, the old Yugo imported by Mitchell Arms Pre-89. The best semi-auto AK ever. Even had night sights. This is not far from the prices they commanded before. Still spendy but a great piece.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213496773
The pre-ban Zastavas (AK-47) were the best I ever shot. They were crazy expensive for years, but they seem to be coming down in price lately.

I will say the AK-47 that has surprised me the most lately is the SGL-21. Exceptional ergonomics, clean trigger and very accurate. If you shop around you can find one for under $700 and have yourself a hell of a weapon right out of the box.

I like to use Russian optics for my AKs. Something like the PK-ASV. My son and I shot our AKs quite a bit using just the iron sights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will second the vote for VEPR in 5.45. The 1st gen Robinson Arms VEPR with the non-vented hand guard is my favorite weapon. You may have better luck catching a leprechaun, but if you do find one it's well worth the investment.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.