Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Revolution Is My Name
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I dont know a whole lot about civilian AK-47 or AK's period. So i wanted to know what you guys here on this fine website thought the best AK for the money is. I see the Romanian WASR AK is $420 dollars on impactguns.com which is where i usually oogle stuff, they have folding stocks which would be great for me cuz i live in a pretty wooded, swampy area, you know like, easy to carry and sling. Anyways, this AK? Century? Norinco? What do you perfer and why? Also whats the deal with the VZ-58?

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
first, search is your friend. these topics have been covered, to death, here.

but in the interest of brevity, to answer the question in your title heading, some of the best AKs you can but are Poly-tech and Norinco pre-ban (Chinese). as far as a NEW Russian-made AK, an Arsenal (www.k-var.com) is one of the best as well.

happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
IAC has alot of AK's on the market for a fair price IMO, they'e built on Elk River recivers (like my Vector)... US made barrel though and the kits they use look kinda ruff. But it's an AK47... Goes bang. Alot of people who own them have been happy with them.

Stay away from Wasr 10s and look for Yugo, Polish, and other based rifles. IAC seems good, lots of good reviews.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Quality wise, the original Yugo M90 AK's imported by Mithell Arms pre-1989. They came with night sights, full size stocks and milled/ forged recievers. Made in the famous Zastava factory in the former Yugoslavia. Absolutely the best quality, factory gun you can get. As far as a currently built model, Krebs makes some awesome stuff.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Century builds are getting better every day, their Polish AKM's are really nice. Never herd a bad word about their Yugo's either. The older ones will have a OEM barrel, I don't know to much about the one's with a made in USA barrel. It's pretty hard to mess up a Ak so much it won't shoot, accuracy at 200 yards might be unrealistic thou.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Galil is heavy, more accurate, but heavy. The design is Identical in function, but heavy.
Mags are expensive too.Quality is really good and I really like the Galil except for it's heaviness.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
VZ58 is not an AK. Mags are different as are the internal working components. the Czechs tended to go away from the rest of the COmBloc world on most things and especially their weapons.

the VZ58 with a folding stock is a beast to shoot since it tends to slap at your face with the folding stock. Not a fun thing. With a fixed stock it is okay.

Big issue with them is mags are proprietary to the weapon and finding spare parts may become an issue.

As for the WASR 63-10, it was originally set up as a single stack import taking 10 round mags for the time that became a big deal in US. After the ban on double stacks went away except in the People's Republic of California, the weapons were altered to take the original mags.

It is a nice first AK. It is sort of like buying a low end car. It is what it is. If you want quality you move up to one of the Arsenal built guns or similar. I usually started my kids on something like a WASR today or in past one of the old MAKs. They could shoot them up till they were ready to move up. Nothing wrong with them just know what they are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should look into the AMD 65.

Notable Features:
1. side-folding stock
2. chrome lined barrel
3. unique muzzle break
4. forward grip.

The whole thing is a sweet little package that can fit inside of a tennis racket bag.

Centerfire Systems has them on sale right now for $399. The best thing about these particular ones are that they were imported by TGI (and not century). Plus they were built in Hungary on the highly regarded FEG receivers. The quality of these outwieghs the Wasr 10-63 anyday.

http://centerfiresystems.com/ak_firearms.aspx

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I guess you're talking about magazines in the NATO calibers. The link I posted mentioned 7.62x39 versions use standard 30-round AK mags.
Yeah, your right. Didn't see that in 7.62x39- but It's still Heavy!
I would overlook this weight issue in a 7.62x51 Galil

but their probably even rarer to find mags for, I paid $40 per mag for the 5.56 mags.
I'm just trying to make myself feel better for saleing it, probably!

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Centerfire Systems has them on sale right now for $399. The best thing about these particular ones are that they were imported by TGI (and not century). Plus they were built in Hungary on the highly regarded FEG receivers. The quality of these outwieghs the Wasr 10-63 anyday.

http://centerfiresystems.com/ak_firearms.aspx
this I found on another site;
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_77/128044_.html&page=1

" you need two more parts for compliance with an FEG receiver. It's 922r compliant with a US mag, but it's a no-no with a surplus (imported) mag."
I've never had anyone inspect my guns for compliant issues but you never know,
stick a com block mag in it and if this is true - its all over.

·
Banned
159 Posts
saiga 7.63x39 they go for around $350 then you can restore it to original condition for around $150 to $250 more depending on your choices of trigger, furniture etc. Then you have a russian AK...........THE BEST !

·
Registered
96 Posts
this I found on another site;
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_77/128044_.html&page=1

" you need two more parts for compliance with an FEG receiver. It's 922r compliant with a US mag, but it's a no-no with a surplus (imported) mag."
This is definitely true. The picture that I posted above is just a random one from google. Clearly, this particular set up is either out of compliance or the guy did some work on the mags to make them legal (with the weapon).

When they ship from TGI though, the AMD 65 comes with one 20 round tapco magazine.

I suppose that the biggest drawback of getting this particular rifle is that it forces you to buy american made magazines. For the the most part, these are: overpriced, sub-par quality, and plastic

1 - 20 of 89 Posts