Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best 7.62 x 39mm ammo non-corrosive?

I just bought some silver bear but have no fired it yet. How good is this ammo? Are there some sites with references regarding ammo quality?

·
Registered
135 Posts
What is the best 7.62 x 39mm ammo non-corrosive?

I just bought some silver bear but have no fired it yet. How good is this ammo? Are there some sites with references regarding ammo quality?
Silver Bear and Golden Tiger is all I shoot in mine. Great ammo, some of it is match (SB) and I shoot that in my AR's and AK's. I've been shooting that for years and I love it. If you can find SB under $250/1k, buy all you can get! I hunt and target shoot with it. Barnaul is another good brand (they make SB).

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
All the com block stuff is pretty much the same, especially if you're using an AK..

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have heard that the Wolf ammo from Russia is a dirty ammo that leaves your rifle a mess.
I used to hate Wolf ammo, and I wouldn't shoot it in any of my guns, after trying it a few times and seeing how dirty it seemed to be.

When Wolf came out with the new polymer-coated Military Classic (MC) in 7.62x39mm, I tried it again for my AKs. Not only was it nice, affordable, trouble-free FMJ ammo for my Kalashnikovs and Simonovs, but it actually seemed to burn cleaner than the old Wolf steelcase with no potential for lacquering up my chambers. So now that's what I shoot. (I still don't run Wolf ammo (even the MC) in any of my other guns.)

If you can get some without breaking the bank, Sellier & Bellot makes some very nice, consistent-quality, accurate reloadable-brass FMJ in 7.62x39mm. When I bought most of my stockpile of it about two years ago, it was less than eight bucks a box (twice as much as Wolf at the time but seems like a steal now!), so I procured enough for deep storage to ensure that I'd have some decent brass for when TEOTWAWKI comes... :cool:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Today it comes down to two issues. What can you find and what can you afford. I agree with Kev in that you have to test any ammo you buy in your gun. I have older guns so they feed about everything. Some of the newer models are a bit more finicky about what they want to eat. You need at least 1000 rounds for you gun at a minimum. I would suggest more if you can afford it.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I used to hate Wolf ammo, and I wouldn't shoot it in any of my guns, after trying it a few times and seeing how dirty it seemed to be.

When Wolf came out with the new polymer-coated Military Classic (MC) in 7.62x39mm, I tried it again for my AKs. Not only was it nice, affordable, trouble-free FMJ ammo for my Kalashnikovs and Simonovs, but it actually seemed to burn cleaner than the old Wolf steelcase with no potential for lacquering up my chambers. So now that's what I shoot. (I still don't run Wolf ammo (even the MC) in any of my other guns.)

If you can get some without breaking the bank, Sellier & Bellot makes some very nice, consistent-quality, accurate reloadable-brass FMJ in 7.62x39mm. When I bought most of my stockpile of it about two years ago, it was less than eight bucks a box (twice as much as Wolf at the time but seems like a steal now!), so I procured enough for deep storage to ensure that I'd have some decent brass for when TEOTWAWKI comes... :cool:
This is sage advice. Do whatever you can to follow it to the letter.

Best,

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I havn't found ammo yet that my Ak's won't chew up and spit out.

Best 7.62x39 is Corbon DPX.

Barnel SP's do pretty well too.

That's the truth. The AK will eat anything, but if money is good......DPX. If money is bad, then you better get in on the steel core Yugo that is going around right now. Its a mild steel core, not a hard tungsten or anything but it will chew up brick walls just fine.

What do you need it for? A good SP is my favorite. Any hit, not armored, on a soft target is devastating.

What is the goal? There is the answer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.