Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Fool On the Hill
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am in the market for a pistol and read alot of good things about the 357. (I also shot one)
I plan on using it for general carry, home defense, woods carry, and maybe a little game hunting.

I am on a budget of about $500, so I am wondering what is the best 357. Revolver value for the money?

Thanks in advance.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
ruger gp 100

if your wanting it for concealed carry id recomend getting the 4 in barrel

but i have the 6 in as i use it around the farm and hunting

I think after taxes it was like 700

but if you get the blued model and not stainless you can get one easily within your budget

·
Registered
884 Posts
With a $500 budget you are in luck. Ruger offers the best there is in 357 magnum handguns that are built like tanks and last forever. The Blackhawk and GP100 are probably the best and can be found used in great shape for around $300-350.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Oh how I do have to say I concur with the others, the Ruger GP-100 is probably about the best bet. Maybe not the cheapest but considering the quality and customer service, unlike Tauras, its probably the best bargin out there on the market. In the tradition of just about all Ruger fire arms, its built like the proverbial "Brick Crap House" and will likely handle any thing on this side of sanity that you can throw at it. As previously mentioned the 4 inch barrel will be the best packing size on barrel length and over all general use. The 6 inch barrel will be much better for use when hunting. The 357 is quiet capable of bringing home the bacon and filling up the freezer and the minimum power/caliber level I would use for large game such as average sized Black Bear, Deer and Hogs. The Blackhawk Models would work well in most roles although being a single action wouldnt be all that optimal for self defense but it can sure do it if you can do your part. I just think the double action revolvers are a little bit better in this regard. Its just hard to imagine someone not being at least satisfied with the Ruger, if not happy beyond words. They are rock solid guns and they are still selling them at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
What everybody else said. Ruger, Ruger, Ruger.

I am very partial to the Ruger Security Six and its variants, the Service Six and the Speed Six. They are no longer made, but used ones may frequently be found for a lot less money than the newer Ruger revolvers.

They are basically the predecessor of the GP-100 series and are very simple and extremely tough.

SP-101 is good if concealability is an issue. Just as rugged as GP-100 and S-Six

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ruger GR 100 hands down... not only is it the best buy in your price range... it's one of the best 357s period. I already own a S&W 686... but the next 357 I get will be the Ruger. If you made a list of the top 10 classic all time best hand guns... almost everybody would put the Ruger GP 100 on their list.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
love my SP-101, paid $500ish new... was hard to find one with the 3"bbl and hammer. they can be found for less but usually in the hammerless 2"bbl variety.

I never owned a GP100 but I have handled them, fired them.. if I wanted a service sized .357mag I'd probably go with a GP-100

·
present and accounted for
4,086 Posts
2rugers reccomends a Ruger...in other news , the Pope is a fan of Catholicism. :)

I just got a Taurus 617, no range time yet, more to follow. BTW, budsgunshop.com, TERRIFIC.

·
Registered
859 Posts
where are ya at? I have a Ruger GP-100 that I'm selling for $400. Revolvers aren't my forte. It's stainless with a 6 inch barrel

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
I recently picked up a S&W 681 4" .357 for 400$ and I must say that I'm entirely happy with the purchase. Love the triggers on those smiths!
Admittedly, Colt's revolvers are my favorites, but there's no denying how smooth S&W's revolvers are. The way S&W revolvers 'stages' in double-action is unmatched▬not even by the mighty Colt Python, IMO. Ruger revolver trigger actions can be smoothed-out, but typically not as good as Colt and S&W. My Davidson's GP100 has a smoother action than your average garden variety GP100, and stages even better than many Colt's. My best friend bought a PD trade-in 686 that has a better trigger than most $10,000-$20,000 Perazzis and Krieghoffs.. He won't accept any offers for it..

One of my favorite revolvers happens to be the S&W Model 27, but i still have never actually owned one :( I'd really like to get a 1960s or '70s 5" barreled -27 someday, but they're prohibitively expensive!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts