Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
#MeToo on the M-14. I've no experience with the FAL.

The rifle I used was actually an M-21 with the UNERTL scope, and it never gave me any problems.

But on one of the forums one of the participants was arguing the virtues of the SCAR over other AR-variant .308s, and stated: "...one of its more important attributes is that it has been used in combat".

I had to smile. (And be quiet.) Both the M-14 and the FAL have been used in combat. The SCAR is a more modern design, and it offers advantages such as being able to change barrels/calibers in the field - but how often do you change calibers of the rifle you carry while you're deployed? (And who carries the spare barrels while you're in the field?)

I think the SCAR is probably a great .308, but in terms of performance I suspect it offers only marginal improvement using issue ammo, if any, over the FAL or M14/M21. In terms of long range accuracy there is a reason why Camp Perry shooters widely use M1As in competition.
The SR25 and the M110 have both been used in combat.

You won't find too many M1A on the line anymore at Perry. Even on the long line. Liana Bombardier won the 1000 yard match with an M16 several years ago when she was still on the AMU team. 1x6.5 twist barrel shooting Sierra 90s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The FAL market is pretty rough right now. A lot of folks understandably steer clear of DS Arms due to their QC issues. If you can find an Imbel receiver your looking at $500 and you'll be in the neighborhood of $500-$700 for a good parts kit. That's quite a lot to sink in before the gun is even built.

I've been seeing the Century FALs going for over a grand, I'd imagine the Springfield import Imbels are probably going for north of $1700 at this point. I'd love to add a FAL to the collection, but the increasing prices have kept me away.

To put in into context, I recently picked up one of the new tapered barrel model PTR 91 with a 16" barrel. The price was $960, but it was closer to $1050 with tax and shipping. And of course since it's new I get the full factory warranty. A new PTR of AR10-style rifle is a much better value at this point.

·
Registered
34,308 Posts
The FAL market is pretty rough right now. A lot of folks understandably steer clear of DS Arms due to their QC issues. If you can find an Imbel receiver your looking at $500 and you'll be in the neighborhood of $500-$700 for a good parts kit. That's quite a lot to sink in before the gun is even built.

I've been seeing the Century FALs going for over a grand, I'd imagine the Springfield import Imbels are probably going for north of $1700 at this point. I'd love to add a FAL to the collection, but the increasing prices have kept me away.
In the last month I have picked up:
an Imbel carbine with 3 mags for $650
And a Century rifle with 2 mags for $750

$750 is my top dollar unless it comes with correspondingly more mags, ammo etc

I come across several a year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You did good. I can't remember seeing a FAL at those prices for some time.

It's hard to even find the Imbel receivers to do a build. Never saw one for sale when the gun shows when they were still open, and the ones on Armslist and Gunbroker are through the roof. I'm too leary to play the Century lottery. I'm mainly just interested in getting one of the LMT DSA StG 58 builds, a Springfield Imbel import, or getting a really good build done myself. I saw one of the LMT DSA rifles on Gunbroker a while back, I stopped following the auction when it went north of $1800.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
My FFL has a ton of PSA AR-10 lowers.

PM me if you want to buy one, I am sure he will give decent deals.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts