Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Sucked in what way?

The PTR is built on actual HK machinery that was bought from Portugal when their military dropped the G3.

Granted the PTR's barrel is not of the same quality as the HK's but in the early days at least, pretty much the entire rest of the rifle was built with mil-surp HK parts..
That was my opinion. The fit and finish of the handguard and stock seemed cheap, as well as the rear sight assembly compared to what I had in the past. The roller locked bolt assembly seemed legit and all, I have to admit. Mind you, I may have been subconsciously prejudiced knowing it wasn't a true German HK rifle from Germany like I had back then. If you would compare the two side by side, maybe you'd agree with me. Maybe not. I still have lots of mags! LOL

·
Semper Fi
8,653 Posts
That was my opinion. The fit and finish of the handguard and stock seemed cheap, as well as the rear sight assembly compared to what I had in the past. The roller locked bolt assembly seemed legit and all, I have to admit. Mind you, I may have been subconsciously prejudiced knowing it wasn't a true German HK rifle from Germany like I had back then. If you would compare the two side by side, maybe you'd agree with me. Maybe not. I still have lots of mags! LOL
Like I said, if it was an early rifle ALL the parts aside from the receiver itself (produced on actual HK machinery) and barrel were HK produced mil-surp parts so not sure how anything could be of lesser quality.

Now I do agree the finish wasn't up to HK quality.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,347 Posts
Sucked in what way?

The PTR is built on actual HK machinery that was bought from Portugal when their military dropped the G3.

Granted the PTR's barrel is not of the same quality as the HK's but in the early days at least, pretty much the entire rest of the rifle was built with mil-surp HK parts..
This is somewhat inaccurate now. PTR Inc. no longer uses HK machinery to build their rifles. They invested in modern tooling to increase production right around the time they moved to SC. Many of the older rifles and all of the JLD Enterprises rifles were built using HK tooling, which is why the price of the rifles has risen significantly.

They would also use a lot of surplus parts in their rifles too to help keep the cost down but now they manufacture everything 100% in house.

Functionally, there is no difference in quality. I've got one of the older ones and one of the new ones and they both do the same thing, shoot the same crappy ammo and take the same furniture, are properly welded up, ect. The new one just took them less time to do it.

·
American fearmaker
14,240 Posts
The M-14 family of rifles are the very best entry rifles into the .308/7.62 calibers that you could ever want. These rifles include the M-14, M-1A and M-21 sniper series of rifles. My personal favorite is the M-21 sniper rifles because I was trained to use them in Viet Nam. I trained with the M-14 in Basic Training and learned to love that rifle a little bit but my old sniper rifle stole my heart forever. I will always remember that rifle because of her strengths and how accurate she was.

·
Semper Fi
8,653 Posts
This is somewhat inaccurate now. PTR Inc. no longer uses HK machinery to build their rifles. They invested in modern tooling to increase production right around the time they moved to SC. Many of the older rifles and all of the JLD Enterprises rifles were built using HK tooling, which is why the price of the rifles has risen significantly.

They would also use a lot of surplus parts in their rifles too to help keep the cost down but now they manufacture everything 100% in house.

Functionally, there is no difference in quality. I've got one of the older ones and one of the new ones and they both do the same thing, shoot the same crappy ammo and take the same furniture, are properly welded up, ect. The new one just took them less time to do it.
Hence why I wrote, "on the earliest rifles at least" in my post. Which was aimed at his assertion that there was some lack of quality in those HK mil-surp parts.

I am well aware that PTR currently makes almost everything themselves now.

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
The article makes good points.

It's easier (and to an extent less expensive) to get a AR-10 to be lights out accurate and to your liking. It also easier to mount a variety of optics to the AR-10.

Add in that you can drop a Franklin Binary trigger into the AR-10 and you have yourself some real fun yelling "covering fire"

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
After owning a .308 AK, M1A, PTR-91 and DSA FAL my vote is for the PTR-91
Years ago I had a greek made springfield armory marketed hk clone chambered in .308. It would take hk accessories like the collapsible stock and target trigger I added. I really liked the modularity of that firearm.

Another one I should have kept.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I thought they’d include a Remington 740/7400....and then I remembered Remington sucks over the last two decades, and the bankruptcy.:rolleyes:

Sure wish I had bought the Saiga back when it was under $300. I did get the $175 7.62x39, and $350 S12, though.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I thought they’d include a Remington 740/7400....and then I remembered Remington sucks over the last two decades, and the bankruptcy.:rolleyes:

Sure wish I had bought the Saiga back when it was under $300. I did get the $175 7.62x39, and $350 S12, though.
I always heard the saigas were pretty good but I've never had one and don't really know.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Yep, cry when you find out how much you paid for cast parts made in China.
Back in the day, when the Norinco clone was the rage, Ron Smith was able to make them into decent rifles. They weren't that bad and when it comes to M14 plumbers, Ron is among the best.

My own M1A is a late 80s era. I did stop by a PHX-area LGS on Saturday. They had a PTR91 on the wall. Was tempted and oddly resisted to succumbing.

·
Semper Fi
8,653 Posts
Back in the day, when the Norinco clone was the rage, Ron Smith was able to make them into decent rifles. They weren't that bad and when it comes to M14 plumbers, Ron is among the best.

My own M1A is a late 80s era. I did stop by a PHX-area LGS on Saturday. They had a PTR91 on the wall. Was tempted and oddly resisted to succumbing.
Yes the Norinco's were actually in-spec receivers and forged from what I recall.

My comment was concerning current production Springfield's.

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,641 Posts
The M-14 family of rifles are the very best entry rifles into the .308/7.62 calibers that you could ever want. These rifles include the M-14, M-1A and M-21 sniper series of rifles. My personal favorite is the M-21 sniper rifles because I was trained to use them in Viet Nam. I trained with the M-14 in Basic Training and learned to love that rifle a little bit but my old sniper rifle stole my heart forever. I will always remember that rifle because of her strengths and how accurate she was.
"Entry level" rifles don't cost $1,600-$2,100. that price is for upper level base guns.

Entry is more like a Diamonback DB-10, or a Century C308.

Flame away.

·
American fearmaker
14,240 Posts
"Entry level" rifles don't cost $1,600-$2,100. that price is for upper level base guns.

Entry is more like a Diamonback DB-10, or a Century C308.

Flame away.

How much is your life worth? If you want cheap get a clone of a M-14 from China because most of them can be had for under $1,000. You aren't getting an expensive rifle when you think about it. You're investing, long term in your future so the value of the rifle goes way down in the long run. Heck a $3K rifle would not be unrealistic for a good entry rifle in today's situations and might cost even more in a few months.

Get them while you still can and while they're available because they are that good!

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,386 Posts
I don’t understand the idea of buying an “entry level” rifle. It sounds like....”For right now, I’ll buy a POS. When I get used to it in a couple of days, I’ll go buy a good quality rifle.”

Why not just do your homework and buy a good quality rifle in the first place?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts