Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,601 Posts
Well. That was a refreshingly honest article. (one of the reasons I stopped to subscribing to paper magazines was those "other" articles LOL) :D:

It mirrors my own experiences with each of those weapons systems. You can't really go wrong with any of them. Of course, each system brings with it their own idiosyncrasies.
-H-K/C308 parts, magazines, cost.
-FAL/L1A1 parts availability, cost of mags.
-SCAR parts? LOL. As much as it hurts me to say it, I can't find anything
wrong with them. I didn't like the Steyr Aug, either
-M1A Other than being a long heavy SOB, its wonderful. However. Don't take
a GI M14, slap a $5000 dollar PVS day/night /10-20X50 on it and expect it to shoot MOA. Some do I suppose but this one didn't, LOL. Bedding and tinkering isn't um, cheap on these.

-And then there's the AR. :thumb:
First one I bought was a used Gen I DPMS. Yeah. I know LOL. Came with an Aimpoint and some other stuff and because it wasn't cheap, I figured it worked. I figured wrong... After much tinkering and gnasching of teeth 18 months of backorder BS I got it to run. Really freakin' good, too. Runs like a raped ape, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
345 Posts
FWIW, I had a RRA .308 full size A2 and didn’t much care for it. Thing was heavy and still kicked like a mule. Powerful yes, enjoyable to shoot, no. Sold it off and don’t miss it. Unless you need to pop someone from 600 yards away, I’m not seeing the point but that’s just me. I think the AK round is cheaper and easier to control. Not as accurate maybe, but plenty of punch at relatively decent range. Sorry to derail with the ramblings.

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,601 Posts
FWIW, I had a RRA .308 full size A2 and didn’t much care for it. Thing was heavy and still kicked like a mule. Powerful yes, enjoyable to shoot, no. Sold it off and don’t miss it. Unless you need to pop someone from 600 yards away, I’m not seeing the point but that’s just me. I think the AK round is cheaper and easier to control. Not as accurate maybe, but plenty of punch at relatively decent range. Sorry to derail with the ramblings.
But you're not wrong ! :D:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a PTR 91f... good gun that ate up steel ammo. I shot it open sights probably 4moa or 2" @ 50yards.

M1a scout w/ wood stock. 3 moa w/ hirt surplus... old guys loved it.

PSA PA10 gen 2 18" barrel, very good gun for the money and more accurate than the previous 2. Not a battle rifle so won't be as durable but was a lot of gun for the $$

Have a Midwest Industries 20" AR10... easily 1.5" w/ federal match and I have had days at 1"... that's a 2k rifle. Next level is a $500+ barrel.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I had a PTR 91f... good gun that ate up steel ammo. I shot it open sights probably 4moa or 2" @ 50yards.

M1a scout w/ wood stock. 3 moa w/ hirt surplus... old guys loved it.

PSA PA10 gen 2 18" barrel, very good gun for the money and more accurate than the previous 2. Not a battle rifle so won't be as durable but was a lot of gun for the $$

Have a Midwest Industries 20" AR10... easily 1.5" w/ federal match and I have had days at 1"... that's a 2k rifle. Next level is a $500+ barrel.

PTR 91 rocks and i loaded up on mags when they were $2.99 per.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I bought 100 of those mags for $150. I sold my PTR and now the mags are taking up a good footprint of space in one of my rooms. Reason I sold it was because I used to have a real HK91 back in the early 80's and the PTR sucked in comparison.
That’s unfortunate.

Have several PTR’s and they’re pretty good. Sure, would have liked to have HK91’s, but don’t. Don’t see the value compared to what we have.

Other than collector value, perhaps. But our firearms are simply tools.

·
Bug-In Prepper
852 Posts
Thanks, I enjoyed this article :) very no-nonsense and practical.

I was really hoping the Noreen BN36 would be mentioned, as I've been eyeing it for years but want to make sure it will be a good buy before putting down my money (and burning brownie points with my wife, who doesn't see the point). There is a dearth of credible reviews, even though they've sold quite a few of them by now (in .308, 30-06 and 25-06 chamberings).

I'm starting to think that maybe if nobody's willing to say good things about the product, there's a reason and I should move on?

·
Semper Fi
8,651 Posts
That’s unfortunate.

Have several PTR’s and they’re pretty good. Sure, would have liked to have HK91’s, but don’t. Don’t see the value compared to what we have.

Other than collector value, perhaps. But our firearms are simply tools.
Yep which is why I put the money that (att) would buy me one HK91 towards getting TWO PTR91 GIRs.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,603 Posts
I have owned M1As. PTRs. CETME. C-308 and the SCAR-17. All were nice rifles. I have never owned or shot an AR-10. Not sure why, just hasn't passed my way (yet) :D:

Of all the .308 semi-autos I have owned, my favorite, and the only one in my safe right now, is the Zastava M77 PS. It is as soft a shooter as the SCAR-17, as accurate at the M1A, at least when I'm driving them. The magazines were pretty crazy expensive, like the SCAR, but I have managed to accumulate quite a few.

It pretty much looks and acts like an AK but it is much beefier. Normally this frame is used for 7.62x54R.

I got mine when they were pretty cheap. Now very hard to find. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a HK91-A3 back in late 70's / early 80's. Paid $325 used, like new. Sold it for maybe a $35 profit cause I needed some $$. Oh well, just gotta suck it up. Not the first bad decision I've made.

If the PSA AR-10 become available at a reasonable price I'd like to pick one up. If they keep handing out stim $$...maybe a Sig 308! I got a Sig AR 556 pistol and like it.

Attachments

·
Semper Fi
8,651 Posts
I bought 100 of those mags for $150. I sold my PTR and now the mags are taking up a good footprint of space in one of my rooms. Reason I sold it was because I used to have a real HK91 back in the early 80's and the PTR sucked in comparison.
Sucked in what way?

The PTR is built on actual HK machinery that was bought from Portugal when their military dropped the G3.

Granted the PTR's barrel is not of the same quality as the HK's but in the early days at least, pretty much the entire rest of the rifle was built with mil-surp HK parts..

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Sell the mags for $5 a piece. That should take care of your space issues and put some coin in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts