Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think is the best .22LR round for the following uses: 1) personal defence at a close range from a hand gun, 2) personal defense/small game at a longer distance in a rifle? Are these rounds one and the same?

In my research, it looks like CCI Velocitors may be good?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
No one can "tell" you what the best round for your gun is, you have to FIND the best round ;) All guns seem to have their favorites ( what works best in them). CCI's are great quality ammo, but it's possible your gun will shoot best with some cheap Winchester X-perts, or the like. You gotta mess around a bit, then come tell US what the best ammo for your gun is !! :D:

By the way, if you told us exactly what gun you're using, then at least some folks that own the same gun could tell you what works well in theirs, and at least narrow your search a bit. But keep in mind that even identical guns can favor different ammo.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i can tell you right now that the "hyper" velocity rounds offer more power up close, but less accuracy. so no, no one round will do it all, just like no 1 gun will do it all, just like no 1 knife will do it ALL.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My apologies everyone. My intent was not to imply that any one round would be best for every gun. I know that every gun has certain rounds it likes best especially with .22LR. My Ruger 10-22 has proved that to me.

What I was trying to illicit is a discussion about any particular round that may/could be the best on average for the particular secnarios I listed. For insatnce. What round may be best for close-up self defense in a hand gun: i.e.: knock-down power (albeit .22LR is generally lacking here), expansion/destruction once it enters a body, etc. I gues the same criteria would be needed for longer distance shots from a rifle. Thus, which ones would you prefer/have experience with or have technical data which supports these uses regardless of make/model of hand gun or rifle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This advise comes from a small game hunter who shoots coyotes and fox a decent bit. This guy has ran a trap line for almost 40 years until the rabies scare in 1992 or so made him stop trapping. Most years he made more money trapping than he did with his full time job.

He prefers solid bullets over hollow points. The penetration is better. He also prefers a heavier grain bullet. Usually there is just 40 grain and 36 grain.

Personally, I store for accuracy rather than power. My absolute Favorite is CCI standard velocity 40 gr solids. Roughly 1050 fps. Federal american eagle 40 grain solids have been good too. I think 1150 fps.

How fast you want the bullet to go is up to your firearms. I wouldn't keep a round that is a poor performer.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I haven't used Velocitors, but they sure look good from what I've heard. I used to have great luck with the old CCI dimple points, but I don't think they're making them anymore. They were accurate and reliable, and the perfect compromise between expansion and penetration. Most of the hyper velocity loads are designed for small varmint hunting and they don't penetrate well. Stinger is about the worst at that, not to mention not being terribly accurate.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If I had to use a .22 for self defense I'd like a cci stinger or mini mag.

I'd much rather have something else though... pretty much anything else would be better.

I know that more people are killed with a .22 every year, blah blah blah... but I'm interested in 1 shot stopping power, and I don't think you get that consistently with any .22 ammo.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Gee, I'm shocked, this is the first time this question has come up, in the past two weeks...

Had you ever given any thought to possibly doing a search or just looking in the archives for anything on a .22LR vs. survival? You'll only find about 157 different threads in the past year...

A pistol has less velocity then a rifle and the rifle doesn't have sufficient velocity to make clean, consistent kills on anything bigger then a bunny rabbit...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in . If the .22 round was a semiwad cutter would that help.
There is a device that can do it. Haven't tried it yet, reports have stated "no change in accuracy" . Will function in a Ruger 10/22. This is for real. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.