Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my next purchase to be a 10/22. I am curious which model or version is best for me. I just want a good rifle for small game and garden patrol. Nothing tactical looking or what not. Seems like there are about a thousand different variations. I was thinking of just buying the plain jane wood stock model at wally world? Any opinions or feed back would be nice.

I used the search function for this and got like 1 billion results. Sorry for another 10/22 thread. :eek::

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
the plain jane 10/22 carbine, it's a solid workhorse.

I've got one that is over 40 years old and a newer one, both are just reliable super accurate, for ammo I use CCI Mini Mags and never have any problems.

add in the new Ruger factory 25 rd box mags and it's perfect out of the box.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got the plain wooden carbine, picked it up a few months ago at ****'s Sporting Goods. Can't complain about it; haven't used it much yet, but if you're not satisfied its easily modifiable. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com for a bunch of 10/22 freaks. Best site I've found for info on my Ruger .22's

Edit: LOL....****'s

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks for the quick replies. I am new to the 10/22 just confused a bit by all the different types you can get. I think I will swing into wally world tomorrow and pay for one then the customary grace period before picking it up......eff you Illinois I cant wait to move *shakes fist*

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
My first one was $64 in 1970 (my Dad bought it) and I picked my newest one up for for $175 at Academy a year ago.

The older one has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and still is as accurate as it's ever been, I've replaced a few parts on it here and there just from sheer use (factory trigger pack, years ago).

The 10/22 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Reactions: dogfencedude

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well i`m out here in SO Cal and everything seems to cost more here. $200 is as cheap as I have seen one. $175 is damn good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the all-weather model with the stainless steel barrel. I got it with longevity in mind. It's more resistant to rust and water in the air, a major plus since I live in an area with higher humidity. It also has a synthetic stock, so no worrying about the wood rotting or the finish going away. Finally, it just looks awesome with the SS barrel and black stock. :D: Oh yeah, mine was purchased from d1ck's sporting goods.

·
barking at the moon
245 Posts
Ive got 2 plain jane Ruger10/22 that are over 30 years old, you will wear out the magazines before anything else and thats after 1000's of rounds. buy an extra set of springs for it (just to have in case) it will last you years. if you ever want to upgrade it there are thousands of aftermarket parts for just about any configureation you may want to make it into.

Ed

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Have you been to the Ruger website?

They have lots of good information that could help you make an informed choice.

http://ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

I bought the carbine from ****'s sporting goods for about $200 last year. It's been great. I did upgrade the sights to techsights which were a big improvement.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

I'm thinking about getting another to mount a scope on.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I am really pleased with my all weather stainless steel 10/22 with a 4 x 32 Nikon Prostaff Rimfire Classic Scope on it.
What did you use to mount the scope? What type of rings and base plate?

I've been doing some research on rimfire scopes and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts