Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 - anywhere in and around port huron MI I can buy one?

2- do you have to replace any parts..i see they sell them and wonder if they are just upgrades or if I have to stock up on these too

3 - anybody currently have one and what do you think

Thanks for the help all

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
1 - anywhere in and around port huron MI I can buy one?

2- do you have to replace any parts..i see they sell them and wonder if they are just upgrades or if I have to stock up on these too

3 - anybody currently have one and what do you think

Thanks for the help all
You have to replace the filters, but they last a long time.

In addition, the berkey that I had failed. One of the filters was not filtering correctly. Had I not tested the system and drunk contaminated water it could have hurt me or my family.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have the travel berkey. I bought my from a local dealer here in Denver, no sure where you might find one in your area. You are suppose to replace the filters every year or so depending on use.

The regular filters round about $55 for a pair, the travel berkey only take two. If you get a bigger berkey you will need more filters, I think the largest berkey has 6 filters. When you purchase the berkey, whichever size, it comes with the correct amount of filters you need so you won't need to purchase any at first. If you want special filters, like the PF2 filters, they cost around $50-$60 for a pair. The PF2 removes fluoride from the water.

I have had mine for about one year, at first the spigot leaked badly. I called the manufacture an told them, they shipped one out in two days. Ever since then no problems.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Black Berkey filters can be found on line for about $100 a set. You can make a filter system using 2 5 gallon buckets by drilling a hole in the lid of one and in the bottom of another. Use the threaded portion of the filter and nut to join the lid to the base of the other bucket. They then stack and as you fill the top bucket water filters to the bottom.
The Black Berkey is good for 6,000 gallons or so.
Here's one site that sells them.
http://www.countrylivinggrainmills.com/pricing.html

I tried to find a local place you could go and pick some up but all the results came back for companies that install filtration systems in your home.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I use the Berkey filters in the bucket set up in my place in Philippines.
Be sure to not let any water run down the side of the top bucket(filter bucket) onto the top or lid area of the bottom one as it may contaminate the lower chamber and ruin everyones day.
There is a gasket that comes with the filters and goes under the filter candle between it and the inner side of the upper chamber.
This is important.
If the gasket is not there it will not filter.
The guy I bought my last Berkey from on ebay hadn't known this.
Also the nut that fastens the filter in place need not be super tight.
Just snug enough to make a good water tight seal so the water goes through the filter(it's really slow at first and never really does speed up much.) and not around the seal.
Crank on it too much and it will surely break off.
I get my filters from h20filters.com

·
antisocialbutterfly
85 Posts
I imagine you could make your own, but it's not near as snazzy as the Stainless Steel model! ;-)

For spare parts, try Pleasant Hill Grain.

At setup and during each cleaning, be sure to do the food coloring test- a good indicator for leaks.

I utilize the fluoride filters- the main reason I chose the Berkey; if you so choose, be sure to follow the directions and do not over-tighten them, as it will destroy the filter.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've got a Royal Berkey at home. I have been thinking of scrubbing out a spaghetti sauce can, drilling a hole in the bottom, and installing a black Berkey purification filter in it for putting in my back pack. If I can find one with a plastic removable lid, that would be perfect.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok sorry to ask a dumb question but do you will the top bucket with any other substrate, sand or anything or does the filter do all the work?

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
filter does all the work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts