Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got a stainless steel Berkey water filter and was trying it out. After the water has set in there for about a week it seems to get a metallic taste. Anyone else have this issue?

·
1,049 Posts
Disassemble and wash with hot water and Dawn detergent. The objective is to remove any oils that are left over from fabrication.

Rinse completely three times with cold, clear water. Dry.

Reassemble and run water through filter to re-rinse. This should remove any taste associated with the manufacturing process.

You can expect the water to take on the taste of the stainless steel container if it remains in prolonged contact with the filter. This is normal. I myself do not mind the 'stainless steel taste'...but others might not.

I would suggest decanting into another container that you find acceptable for your particular taste reasonably soon after filtering. I have some of the non-BPA Nalgene bottles that I have been testing and they do not impart any taste to the water, try as I might (prolonged storage, leave in the sun all day, etc).

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did clean it with soap and water, after I posted this. But I thought it was ok to leave in the metal container. I still get a metallic taste so I will decant into another container and store in the fridge.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you try flushing the white PF-2 fluoride filters thoroughly? even with a garden hose as the manufacturing dust needs some attention on it before use, hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts