Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I received a Berkey Light Water Filter from Red Barn Workshop. Over the past few months I have been seeing people talk about the Berkey line of filters, now I understand what the hype is about. Overall, I am impressed with the unit, how simple it works and how simple the design is.

berkey-light-001.jpg

From what I read on the Berkey site, each filter has an estimated capacity of 3,000 gallons. As with other filters, I'am going to guess that the filter life is partially determined by the quality of water that is put into the unit.

I like the fact that there are no moving parts except for the faucet, there filters work off of gravity flow.

If you take the time to read the directions, assembly time might take about 10 minutes. If your a slow reader, assembly time might take 10 - 15 minutes.

------------------

My personal water prep plans are divided into 3 stages:

Short term: bottled water and water storage.

Mid term: Filter filtration and purificaion from units like the Berkey.

Long term: Having a private well and an unlimited supply of safe drinking water.

Having a home based water filtration / purification solution fills the gap between having a few gallons of bottled water stocked up and having an unlimited supply of safe drinking water. It would be physically impossible to store as much water, as the berkey light water filter can filter.

After a disaster, safe drinking water is essential. Once the water supply either runs out, or is contaminated, everything else is downhill from there.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
aww, I thought you were giving one away.

I do want one and it is on my list. I was considering the Big Berkey. What are the main differences between the two?

·
Forum Administrator
16,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
berkey water filters

aww, I thought you were giving one away.

I do want one and it is on my list. I was considering the Big Berkey. What are the main differences between the two?
You may want to keep an eye for Februarys contest,,, that is all I can say right now. More news will be posted February 1st.

I think the Big Berkey series is made out of stainless steel. While the berkey light is plastic.

I'll be posting a video about a Big Berkey in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I just got the stainless steel Berkey and I really like it. I love gravity water filters anyway. I got mine from TheBerkeyGuy on this site. He has great service. (plug plug)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
A bit off topic, but couldn't I just buy 2 of theose black filters for $99 and make my own gravity filter rather easily? You could even build a larger and deeper dirty water reservoir to increase the flow rate for longer periods of time.

It seems to me the only actual functional piece of equipment involved are those filters...those are the things that matter.

·
Contents Under Pressure
525 Posts
A bit off topic, but couldn't I just buy 2 of theose black filters for $99 and make my own gravity filter rather easily? You could even build a larger and deeper dirty water reservoir to increase the flow rate for longer periods of time.

It seems to me the only actual functional piece of equipment involved are those filters...those are the things that matter.
I was actually kind of thinking the same thing....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts